Changing mobo question

Post by Francois Jacca » Sat, 27 Feb 1999 04:00:00

Hi,

I have now an Asus TX97-XE mobo with a pentium 233MMX and I am thinking of
upgrading my linux box to an Asus P2B-D or -DS with dual PII 350.
The linux is Red Hat 5.2.

Is it sufficient to just change the mobo, reboot and recompile the kernel, or
is there are any other steps?

Thanks!

Changing mobo question

Post by Phil DeBecke » Sat, 27 Feb 1999 04:00:00

> Hi,

> I have now an Asus TX97-XE mobo with a pentium 233MMX and I am thinking of
> upgrading my linux box to an Asus P2B-D or -DS with dual PII 350.
> The linux is Red Hat 5.2.

> Is it sufficient to just change the mobo, reboot and recompile the kernel, or
> is there are any other steps?

> Thanks!

In general all you should need to do is change, reboot, recompile.

The one caveat is:  if you're using hdparm to optimize your drive access,
disable that before installing the new board.  Some IDE controllers don't like
certain options of hdparm, and if you put it in your rc.local or other boot
script you could find yourself locked out of your system.

I recently moved my linux system (RH 5.1++ on a 5.0GB EIDE drive) from a
P5/166mmx on Asus P55tvp4 to a completely different PII/400 on Intel SE440BX.
New video, sound, NIC, everything.  All I really had to do was recompile the
kernel to support PII, new network, and new sound card, and reconfigure X to run
on the new video adapter.  Total time, probably under an hour.

Hope this helps,
Phil

1. Changed CPU+MoBo - Now X is streaky!

I recently changed my CPU and motherboard from DX4 to P120 but kept the
same ram etc.

Since then I get interference in the form of flashing streaks across
the screen under X, when typing and also when there's any serial
traffic (modem, mouse etc).

I haven't changed the software or any of the hardware apart from the
CPU/Mobo.

The video card is a Diamond Stealth 2001 DRAM (ARK chipset), and I am
using a cheapo 4-port serial card, and the moving the cabling appears
to make no difference.

Any suggestions anyone?

Thanks

Boik

p.s. There's also a 3-4mm ghosting which is there constantly which
doesn't move using xvidtune.

2. anyone tried SkyOS?

3. Major hardware change (mobo)

4. Intel Create & Share Camera Pack PCI Modem unit

5. Newbie question -- linux compatible mobo

6. Voodoo Banshee

7. Mobo question

8. Saving configs? COL2.2

9. mobo/power supply question

10. Mobo/Linux Compatability Question

11. Mobo question

12. Question: PIII mobos, GX chipset, 100MHz bus

13. Resurrection of Mobo Question