Epson Stylus 400 and gs5.10 stc.upp driver

Epson Stylus 400 and gs5.10 stc.upp driver

Post by Anastasios Drosopoul » Mon, 08 Jun 1998 04:00:00

Hi all

After a couple of years of using my home computer to prepare work that I print
at my work printer I finally went and bought a printer of my own, the Epson
Stylus 400. The 720x720 resolution at an affordable price and the comments I
saw on the net made me think that this is probably the best buy.

I've had it for about a week now and my kids are pretty happy and e*d with
the output from my win95 partition (I admit it is good!).

However, I noticed a problem with the stc.upp driver in my Linux partition.

Most of my document work is done in*with inclusion of postscript
graphics from gnuplot and xfig. Xfig generated graphics seem to print
fine. Not so for gnuplot. As soon as I include any text labels in the plot I
get a core dump when passing it through gs5.10. Without the text, it works
fine. The same plots have no trouble printing on both the HPLaserJet3 (gs
ljet3 driver) or the HPLaserJet4 (Postscript) at work. They also appear fine
when I use ghostview to see them.

This probably means that the stc.upp driver still needs some work or I'm
missing something. BTW, I run a Slackware 3.4 system with plenty of add-ons
like gs5.10 and gnuplot 3.6 patch340 that I've build from sources.

If anyone has the same Epson Stylus model or even a different one (I'm
curious actually to see if the problem is duplicated in other models) and
wants to try it out I can email the two minimal eps files that recreate the
problem. Or, if you have gnuplot, try generating a sin(x) plot and save it
in encapsulated postscript form with and without text labels. As I said,
without labels it prints fine, with them I get a core dump.

Thanks for any help/advice you might have.

Tasos

Post by Karl Kahr » Wed, 10 Jun 1998 04:00:00

> fine. Not so for gnuplot. As soon as I include any text labels in the plot I
> get a core dump when passing it through gs5.10. Without the text, it works

> This probably means that the stc.upp driver still needs some work or I'm
> missing something. BTW, I run a Slackware 3.4 system with plenty of add-ons
> like gs5.10 and gnuplot 3.6 patch340 that I've build from sources.

> If anyone has the same Epson Stylus model or even a different one (I'm
> curious actually to see if the problem is duplicated in other models) and
> wants to try it out I can email the two minimal eps files that recreate the
> problem. Or, if you have gnuplot, try generating a sin(x) plot and save it
> in encapsulated postscript form with and without text labels. As I said,
> without labels it prints fine, with them I get a core dump.

> Thanks for any help/advice you might have.

> Tasos

 I have an Epson Stylus Color (about 3 years old), and I have no trouble using
the stcolor driver with gs5.03 (Slackware 3.2).  I use gnuplot version 3.5
extensively and have never received a core dump.  Feel free to e-mail your eps
files to me and I will try it out.

Karl Kahre

1. Epson stylus 640 + linux/GS5.10: is this slow or what??

Hi all,

I've just connected an Epson Stylus 640 to my linux box (PII 400MHz)
running RH 5.1 (2.0.35) and Ghostscript 5.10 with the uniprint
driver and notice the following print speeds:

   1 full-page plain-TeX/dvips document w/ NO graphics:

   1 full-page unformatted text using 'cat file > /dev/lp1': 30 seconds

which seem fairly slow considering claimed PPM rates for this printer
(using supposedly inferior OSs and drivers).

Is this typical of what I should expect with linux/ghostscript?
If not, any suggestions for improvement would be greatly appreciated.

Note: based on past experience, "recompiling the kernel" seems
to be the default knee-jerk response to almost every problem
posted. If this is necessary, PLEASE provide some proof or at least
a pointer to explicit instructions, suitable for a newbie, on how to
do this.

Thanks,

Doug

2. Real multi-user linux

3. EPSON Stylus Color 400 Drivers

4. modem problem

5. EPSON Stylus Color 400 drivers

6. X-server for Diamond Viper 550

7. Looking for a dvi-driver for Epson stylus 400

8. Enterprise 2.0 select thread error

9. Epson Stylus 400 Printer Drivers

10. I need epson stylus 400 drivers

11. Epson Stylus Color 400 Problems

12. Epson Stylus 400/ WP8

13. Printing with an Epson Stylus Color 400