1. RH5.2 - Linux Boot Floppy Hangs at IDE probe?
Having trouble installing linux and hope someone here can help.
I have a Pentium 233MMX with 2 Hard disks [8gig and 3gig, which I was going
to install linux on], and 2 cd-rom drives as well as a SCSI card with a
scanner connected. This machine is currently running windows98. The
configuration after the linux install would be as follows:
hda - 8gig fat32 for windows/dos
hdb - various sized partitions reserved for linux
hdc - CDROM - HP CD-Writer+ 7200 [atapi]
hdd - CDROM - Toshiba 24x [atapi]
The RedHat boot floppy used to begin the installation will hang just after
announcing the existance of ide0 and ide1 [both announced as BM-DMA], but
nothing appears after that. I am expecting to see information for hda, hdb,
and the other drives but the boot goes nowhere nere that point.
Some things I've tried:
Made sure that the CMOS had the drive information from the BIOS by turning
off "Auto" for the ide detection and just entered the cyl,head,sector
information into the standard cmos setup.
used the boot arguments => boot: linux hda=977,255,63 hdb=787,128,63
Something I've NOT tried:
I have not removed the SCSI card to see if that is a conflict. It's a
possibility but I didn't think so.
Any help would be appreciated. I've been away from linux for about 4 years
[last kernel I ran was 1.1.54] but would like to get it set up again.
[remove the spam stuff if you wanna reply with email]
2. WHAT DID I DO WRONG?
3. Lilo question:How to move Linux Drive to secondary IDE port.
4. installing apache on Red Hat Linux 7.1
5. Multi-Boot : NT on Primary IDE and Linux on Secondary IDE
6. Question about test command in script
7. 2.5.6-pre3 boot hangs in ide probing
8. HEADS UP - CVS TREE CHANGES
9. IDE probing hangs during boot
10. ATAPI CD-ROM on secondary IDE port
11. IDE drive on controller secondary port
12. using secondary port for ide controller
13. Problems with secondary IDE port