Linux hangs while probing secondary IDE port

Linux hangs while probing secondary IDE port

Post by Andrew Sarang » Thu, 21 Mar 1996 04:00:00

It seems that nothing on the secondary IDE port is being detected by
Linux. I have two hard drives in the primary and a CDROM on the secondary.
No matter what combination I use (with appropriately set master/slave
jumper setings) the secondary IDE is not being detected. Well, actually
Linux diaplays the drive information at bootup but always hangs on IRQ
probing.

My question is this. I believe the secondary IDE uses IRQ15. Now, when I
do MSD under DOS, it says IRQ15 is reserved by BIOS. That might explain
why the drives on the secondary port is not being recognized by Linux.
However, DOS is still able to access the CDROM on secondary port - after
having installed the CDROM drivers.

So, I am a bit confused. If this is a hardware limitation should it not
equally apply to both DOS and Linux ?

How can I overcome this problem ?

Thanks for any help!
--
Andrew Sarangan

Post by Leslie M. Barstow I » Thu, 04 Apr 1996 04:00:00

: It seems that nothing on the secondary IDE port is being detected by
: Linux. I have two hard drives in the primary and a CDROM on the secondary.
: No matter what combination I use (with appropriately set master/slave
: jumper setings) the secondary IDE is not being detected. Well, actually
: Linux diaplays the drive information at bootup but always hangs on IRQ
: probing.

I have a similar problem...
First, what kernel version are you running?
Second, what IDE card do you have (and which Bus)?

I have a CMD PCI card with the same configuration as you, running 1.2.13 ELF.
Under this configuration, I have to start DOS to initalize the card, or
the IDE1 interface isn't even recognized.  If I tell it the CD-ROM is there,
it hangs the system.  Running 1.3.x (x>51) solves the problem (but creates a
problem between Perl5 and TCP/IP, so I'm sticking with 1.2.13 for now...)

See if booting to Linux after booting to DOS fixes your problem...

--
Leslie M. Barstow III             | "How may I be honest with you today"

Faerealm: the future of PBM *| Do not reply to FastCash or MakeMoneyFast
PGP key available upon request    | schemes on the net.  They are scams!

1. RH5.2 - Linux Boot Floppy Hangs at IDE probe?

Having trouble installing linux and hope someone here can help.

I have a Pentium 233MMX with 2 Hard disks [8gig and 3gig, which I was going
to install linux on], and 2 cd-rom drives as well as a SCSI card with a
scanner connected.  This machine is currently running windows98.  The
configuration after the linux install would be as follows:

hda - 8gig fat32 for windows/dos
hdb - various sized partitions reserved for linux
hdc - CDROM - HP CD-Writer+ 7200 [atapi]
hdd - CDROM - Toshiba 24x [atapi]

The RedHat boot floppy used to begin the installation will hang just after
announcing the existance of ide0 and ide1 [both announced as BM-DMA], but
nothing appears after that.  I am expecting to see information for hda, hdb,
and the other drives but the boot goes nowhere nere that point.

Some things I've tried:

Made sure that the CMOS had the drive information from the BIOS by turning
off "Auto" for the ide detection and just entered the cyl,head,sector
information into the standard cmos setup.

used the boot arguments =>  boot: linux hda=977,255,63 hdb=787,128,63
hdc=cdrom hdd=cdrom

Something I've NOT tried:

I have not removed the SCSI card to see if that is a conflict.  It's a
possibility but I didn't think so.

Any help would be appreciated.  I've been away from linux for about 4 years
[last kernel I ran was 1.1.54] but would like to get it set up again.

Blake
[remove the spam stuff if you wanna reply with email]

2. WHAT DID I DO WRONG?

3. Lilo question:How to move Linux Drive to secondary IDE port.

4. installing apache on Red Hat Linux 7.1

5. Multi-Boot : NT on Primary IDE and Linux on Secondary IDE

6. Question about test command in script

7. 2.5.6-pre3 boot hangs in ide probing

8. HEADS UP - CVS TREE CHANGES

9. IDE probing hangs during boot

10. ATAPI CD-ROM on secondary IDE port

11. IDE drive on controller secondary port

12. using secondary port for ide controller

13. Problems with secondary IDE port