Diskless Client / Dumb Client

Post by William Fon » Sat, 11 Nov 2000 04:00:00

What do you call a dumbclient that just displays the screen and sends input
from mouse and keyboard? Doesn't do any processing stuff like that?
I have an old Tektronix XP356, and I'm betting that's what it does. I was
hoping I could hook it up to my Linux box and make a new workstation. I
don't think I would be able to find Linux drivers.

I'm new to this type of technology. Any help would be great! Thanks.

-will

--

______________________________
William Fong - www.digitaldev.com

Post by Peter T. Breue » Sat, 11 Nov 2000 04:00:00

: What do you call a dumbclient that just displays the screen and sends input
: from mouse and keyboard? Doesn't do any processing stuff like that?
: I have an old Tektronix XP356, and I'm betting that's what it does. I was

It's called "a terminal".

: I'm new to this type of technology. Any help would be great! Thanks.

Look at any film made between 10 and 20 years ago. You should see lots
of terminals attached to computers.

Peter

Diskless Client / Dumb Client

Post by U. Siege » Tue, 14 Nov 2000 04:00:00

Hi Will,
there are several HOWTO's about diskless environment. Also, there will be some
information on the internet.
Browsing yahoo.com with the search arbument "diskless" will help you finding
the needed information.
Greets,
    Ulf.

> What do you call a dumbclient that just displays the screen and sends input
> from mouse and keyboard? Doesn't do any processing stuff like that?
> I have an old Tektronix XP356, and I'm betting that's what it does. I was
> hoping I could hook it up to my Linux box and make a new workstation. I
> don't think I would be able to find Linux drivers.

> I'm new to this type of technology. Any help would be great! Thanks.

> -will

> --

> ______________________________
> William Fong - www.digitaldev.com

1. Diskless Client / Dumb Client

What do you call a dumbclient that just displays the screen and sends input
from mouse and keyboard? Doesn't do any processing stuff like that?
I have an old Tektronix XP356, and I'm betting that's what it does. I was
hoping I could hook it up to my Linux box and make a new workstation. I
don't think I would be able to find Linux drivers.

I'm new to this type of technology. Any help would be great! Thanks.

-will

--

______________________________
William Fong - www.digitaldev.com

2. How to mount a Mac volume on Linux?

3. SunSoft Print Client/LPLite and diskless clients

4. Accessing I/O Ports

5. Booting Diskless Clients

6. Help!! Serial port programing

7. Setting up diskless booting linux clients

8. Differences between Sun Storedge T3 and T3+

9. Configuring diskless client

10. diskless client host configuration problem

11. diskless client

12. Type of diskless client on boot server

13. SUMMARY: Diskless clients freeze after server reboot under 4.1.1