WD Caviar WD800JB vs WD800BB

Post by Imitheo » Sat, 11 May 2002 00:22:33

Hello.
I am interested in buying the 80gb western digital hd.
In western digital's site there are two models.
One is WD800BB which is in the "high performance" line of products and
has 2mb cache and the other is WD800JB which is in the "special edition"
line and has 8mb cache.

If i am not mistaken the model with the 8mb cache is by far quicker than
the 2mb one,but i am confused by the lines of products.How can a 2mb
model be in the high performance line ? Is there any problem with the
8mb model.I am confused by that "special edition" term.

Which do you recommend me ?
If anyone has hdparm results or whatever experience on the models it is
welcome.

Thank you for your time.

Post by aglyport\" » Sat, 11 May 2002 02:10:27

> Hello.
> I am interested in buying the 80gb western digital hd.
> In western digital's site there are two models.
> One is WD800BB which is in the "high performance" line of products and
> has 2mb cache and the other is WD800JB which is in the "special edition"
> line and has 8mb cache.

> If i am not mistaken the model with the 8mb cache is by far quicker than
> the 2mb one,but i am confused by the lines of products.How can a 2mb
> model be in the high performance line ? Is there any problem with the
> 8mb model.I am confused by that "special edition" term.

> Which do you recommend me ?
> If anyone has hdparm results or whatever experience on the models it is
> welcome.

My uneducated guess would be that the comp manufacturers are learning
from the automotive industry. The "Special Edition" version is the WD
way to suck more money for essentially the same product. The kernel
would use the otherwise unused available memory for caching anyway.
And I bet you usually have >6mb available unless you have an old
system... in which case you probably won't be buying an 80gb drive for
it :-]

Post by Imitheo » Sat, 11 May 2002 05:45:23

> My uneducated guess would be that the comp manufacturers are learning
> from the automotive industry. The "Special Edition" version is the WD
> way to suck more money for essentially the same product. The kernel
> would use the otherwise unused available memory for caching anyway.
> And I bet you usually have >6mb available unless you have an old
> system... in which case you probably won't be buying an 80gb drive for
> it :-]

You mean that the 8mb model will be useless (comparing to the 2mb
always) ?
I also read in a howto that linux uses a cache and that if data isn't in
that cache it will not be in the much smaller hd cache but their price
difference is only 5 euro.

I also want to ask if my bios will see the drive.
I have a amd k6-ii 450 here(in work) that didnt see a 40gb drive (it did
see it after i jumpered it using alternative settings as 33gb).
In home i have a slot-1 intel pentium-III 450mhz.

Thank you again.

Post by aglyport\" » Sat, 11 May 2002 08:34:52

>>My uneducated guess would be that the comp manufacturers are learning
>>from the automotive industry. The "Special Edition" version is the WD
>>way to suck more money for essentially the same product. The kernel
>>would use the otherwise unused available memory for caching anyway.
>>And I bet you usually have >6mb available unless you have an old
>>system... in which case you probably won't be buying an 80gb drive for
>>it :-]

> You mean that the 8mb model will be useless (comparing to the 2mb
> always) ?
> I also read in a howto that linux uses a cache and that if data isn't in
> that cache it will not be in the much smaller hd cache but their price
> difference is only 5 euro.

> I also want to ask if my bios will see the drive.

That you'll see for yourself soon enough :^)

Quote:> I have a amd k6-ii 450 here(in work) that didnt see a 40gb drive (it did
> see it after i jumpered it using alternative settings as 33gb).
> In home i have a slot-1 intel pentium-III 450mhz.

If the drive is for the home machine I'd recommend Fujitsu or Samsung.
Both companies put forward efforts to make their drives quieter (if
that's an issue for you)
WD is by far noisier. According to the tomshardware that is :-)
Fujitsu's biggest at the moment is 40GB while Samsung makes an 80 gig
drive. I have two 3409s in two different machines and one 80gb spinpoint .
All three work very fine. No hint of overheating (hello IBM).

1. Request for comments on WD Caviar vs. Connor 540A

I'm preparing to add a second hard disk to a 486/66 clone, and wanted
to solicit the readership's comments on the WD 540Mb Caviar and Connor
540Mb IDE drives.

        a)  I note that the WD is "enhanced" IDE.  Do those
        "enhancements" preclude this drive from running well under
        Linux?  Do the enhancements require special drivers, and does
        the latest Linux kernel support them?

        b)  Is 128Kb cache considered adequate for "advanced" home use,
        where such use would include compiling new kernels, running X,
        PPP, etc.

        c)  The current hard drive in the system is a 240Mb IDE
        Maxtor.  Is there any reason to believe that through some
        pathological, but within-the-IDE-standard, behavior, the new WD
        or Connor drive will not function as advertised alongside the
        Maxtor?  I plan to access the Maxtor only through partitions of
        type msdos.

        d)  Any other comments on the WD or Connor visavis Linux that I
        could benefit from hearing before I commit?

Thank you.

Mark S. Petrovic
Kansas City, MO

2. NIS Users Remain

3. HARD DRIVE WD CAVIAR AC2700 (LILO)

4. Linux as Gateway

5. LBA/biosgeom, WD Caviar 1.2Gb drive

6. problem with vold

7. WD 540 caviar with linux? write-read partition?

8. ftp and ls

9. stong, my WD Caviar sounds strange

10. Summary, WD 250meg Caviar Drive

11. hdparm-1.0 and WD Caviar drives

12. hdparm, multiple mode, and WD Caviar 540

13. description of jumpers for WD Caviar IDE disk?