giving up on ATI Xpert 128, any suggestions? who has gotten 3D acell to work?

giving up on ATI Xpert 128, any suggestions? who has gotten 3D acell to work?

Post by Justin Kell » Tue, 01 Jan 2002 02:25:41

All I wanna do is play the new wolfenstein. I got a Xpert 128 PCI card
powerd bu ATI rage pro chipset and spent all day trying to get it to
work. I spent far more time than anyone should have to to get something
like that to work and am giving up.

What 3d cards have you all gotten to work with linux and which ones
installed without a hitch?

I am looking at the PNY verto's powerd by the Geforce 2 chipset, has
anyone had luck with them?

thanks,
-Justin Kelly

Post by feroc » Tue, 01 Jan 2002 05:35:02

> All I wanna do is play the new wolfenstein. I got a Xpert 128 PCI card
> powerd bu ATI rage pro chipset and spent all day trying to get it to
> work. I spent far more time than anyone should have to to get something
> like that to work and am giving up.

> What 3d cards have you all gotten to work with linux and which ones
> installed without a hitch?

> I am looking at the PNY verto's powerd by the Geforce 2 chipset, has
> anyone had luck with them?

> thanks,
> -Justin Kelly

I installed a Verto GF3 Ti200 yesterday, no problems at all. OpenGL is
working, text is sharp, etc. Couldn't be happier...

feroce

-----==  Over 80,000 Newsgroups - 19 Different Servers!  ==-----

Post by Rene Herma » Tue, 01 Jan 2002 07:50:40

> I got a Xpert 128 PCI card powerd bu ATI rage pro chipset

The XPert 128 is based on the Rage128 chipset (as is the XPert 99; the
XPert 98 is Rage Pro, XPert 2000 is Rage128 Pro)

Quote:> and spent all day trying to get it to work. I spent far
> more time than anyone should have to to get
> something like that to work and am giving up.

Fair enough, but ...

Quote:> What 3d cards have you all gotten to work with linux and
> which ones installed without a hitch?

... my own XPert 128 (AGP) works beautifully. Never had any trouble
with it. Sure the chipset confusion didn't cause you to choose a wrong
driver somewhere or something?

Quote:> I am looking at the PNY verto's powerd by the Geforce 2 chipset,
> has anyone had luck with them?

Unless you don't mind closed-source drivers, don't choose nvidia.

Rene.

giving up on ATI Xpert 128, any suggestions? who has gotten 3D acell to work?

Post by Kyle » Mon, 31 Dec 2001 22:55:06

I have a nvidia based card.  It works ok, I just don't like that they are
closed source.  I've had some odd problems with it (mainly in combination
with my aureal sound card, with yet another closed source driver).  I'm
going to stay away from anything closed source from now on (I have an ATI
Radeon on its way here)

Kyle

Quote:> All I wanna do is play the new wolfenstein. I got a Xpert 128 PCI card
> powerd bu ATI rage pro chipset and spent all day trying to get it to
> work. I spent far more time than anyone should have to to get something
> like that to work and am giving up.

> What 3d cards have you all gotten to work with linux and which ones
> installed without a hitch?

> I am looking at the PNY verto's powerd by the Geforce 2 chipset, has
> anyone had luck with them?

> thanks,
> -Justin Kelly

giving up on ATI Xpert 128, any suggestions? who has gotten 3D acell to work?

Post by Justin Kell » Tue, 01 Jan 2002 12:52:22

Thanks folks,

I ended up getting the nvidia, geforce2 mx200. things work. . sorta, I
can play Quake3 (wow its beutiful!) but only on skirmish with less than
three palyers, else it crashes in normal single player and in internet
multiplayer. . .(same deal with wolfenstein multiplayer demo. . . )

heres an output:

PIXELFORMAT: color(32-bits) Z(24-bit) stencil(0-bits)
MODE: 4, 800 x 600 fullscreen hz:N/A
GAMMA: hardware w/ 0 overbright bits
CPU:
rendering primitives: multiple glArrayElement
texturemode: GL_LINEAR_MIPMAP_NEAREST
picmip: 1
texture bits: 16
multitexture: disabled
compiled vertex arrays: disabled
texenv add: disabled
compressed textures: disabled
Initializing Shaders
----- finished R_Init -----
Sys_LoadDll(/usr/local/games/wolfenstein-mpdemo/demomain/ui.mp.i386.so)...
Sys_LoadDll(ui) found **vmMain** at  0x4c56d970
Sys_LoadDll(ui) succeeded!
trying ui/assets/button_back.TGA...
Sys_LoadDll(/usr/local/games/wolfenstein-mpdemo/demomain/cgame.mp.i386.so)...

Sys_LoadDll(/usr/local/games/wolfenstein-mpdemo/demomain/cgame.mp.i386.so)
failed:
"/usr/local/games/wolfenstein-mpdemo/demomain/cgame.mp.i386.so: cannot
map zero-fill pages: Cannot allocate memory"
Sys_LoadDll(cgame) failed dlopen() completely!
Failed to load dll, looking for qvm.
Failed.
********************
ERROR: VM_Create on cgame failed
********************
RE_Shutdown( 0 )
Hunk_Clear: reset the hunk ok
----- R_Init -----
Shutdown tty console

is this the right forum for this? I mean hardwar and software are
linked, and I guess you could that my 3d card isn't working if thigns
are crashing like this. . .  hmmm. . .  if this is the wrong one, could
anyone suggest a more appropriate one?

thanks,

-Justin Kelly

giving up on ATI Xpert 128, any suggestions? who has gotten 3D acell to work?

Post by Kyle » Tue, 01 Jan 2002 15:25:14

Make sure you have the latest nvidia drivers (from nvidia.com), make sure
you get the source kernel package and rebuild it yourself, and make sure
you install the GL package.  In Heavy Gear 2 for Linux you have to turn
off texture details or you have strange problems.  Perhaps you should put
X or your game in 24bit or 16bit color instead of 32?  Its caused a few
weird problems before, and in my opinion 32bit color isn't really work
the speed difference.

Kyle

Quote:> Thanks folks,

> I ended up getting the nvidia, geforce2 mx200. things work. . sorta, I
> can play Quake3 (wow its beutiful!) but only on skirmish with less than
> three palyers, else it crashes in normal single player and in internet
> multiplayer. . .(same deal with wolfenstein multiplayer demo. . . )

1. Getting the ATI Rage 128 Xpert 128 to work

I have not been able to get my graphics card to work. I am actually using
a All-in-wonder 128, but ATI claims that the video card will work fine
with that card. I'm using RedHat 6.2. By the way, this is an AGP version
of the card. I can't find a driver. I searched the net for commercial
servers and still couldn't find one. Will there be a X11 upgrade soon?

2. GTKEditor seems broken - no highlighting in any apps??

3. ATI Rage 128 XPert 128

4. Linux and degrading Java thread performance.

5. ATI Xpert 128: SuSE server works, windows wont redraw

6. PPP & Dip

7. Help getting ATI All-in-Wonder 128 Pro/xawtv working?

8. Veritas Cluster Manager vs. HACMP

9. ATI XPert 128 PCI & Viewsonic Q71-6

10. ATi Xpert 128 Support

11. Problem: ATI Xpert 2000 (Rage 128) not detected (XFree 4.0 SuSE 7.0)

12. X-Server driver needed for Ati Xpert (Rage) 128

13. ATI Rage 128 (Xpert 99, Xpert99)