Hardware advice needed

Post by Richard Kimbe » Sat, 13 Jan 2001 01:19:55

I am buying a new system. The possibilities seem to have narrowed down to:
1) PIII 933 with 256MB P133 SDRAM and 815E chipset
and
2) PIII 933 with 256MB P600 RDRAM and 820 chipset

The latter has thermal monitoring, which sounds nice.

I should really appreciate any comments as to which might be the one to go
for, other things being equal.

I should also appreciate any comments on the issue of Adaptec 2940 versus
29160 as the scsi controller

Thanks,

-Richard Kimber

Hardware advice needed

Post by A E Lawrenc » Sat, 13 Jan 2001 08:27:16

> I am buying a new system. The possibilities seem to have narrowed down to:
> 1) PIII 933 with 256MB P133 SDRAM and 815E chipset
> and
> 2) PIII 933 with 256MB P600 RDRAM and 820 chipset

> The latter has thermal monitoring, which sounds nice.

> I should really appreciate any comments as to which might be the one to go
> for, other things being equal.

Without wanting to start a flame war, I think that you would be well
advised to consider an Athlon: you will get much better value for money,
and probably substantially better performance. The new DDR ram mbrds are
just about here, and that is likely to be the best value for money and
performance in the immediate future.

Without knowing more about your needs it is very hard to know what else
to say.

ael
--
Dr A E Lawrence

Hardware advice needed

Post by J Wend » Sat, 13 Jan 2001 13:27:35

On Thu, 11 Jan 2001 16:19:55 -0000, "Richard Kimber"

>I am buying a new system. The possibilities seem to have narrowed down to:
>1) PIII 933 with 256MB P133 SDRAM and 815E chipset
>and
>2) PIII 933 with 256MB P600 RDRAM and 820 chipset

>The latter has thermal monitoring, which sounds nice.

>I should really appreciate any comments as to which might be the one to go
>for, other things being equal.

>I should also appreciate any comments on the issue of Adaptec 2940 versus
>29160 as the scsi controller

>Thanks,

>-Richard Kimber

The 820 chipset has been dropped by Intel.

I have 2 Dell systems at work (1) 933 with 815 chipset (2) 750 with
820 chipset. The 750 with rambus memory is faster. The down side is
that the 820 chipset doesn't have good support in Linux. So far, I
don't have AGP support with the 820. Also, I think that the 820 only
supports 2 Rdimms (or whatever they're called), and they're very
expensive. I suspect that rambus memory will go away.

Both machines are very reliable using kernel 2.4.0 (at the moment,
I'll upgrade tomorrow).

If I were buying, I think I'd wait for the DDR Athlon motherboards. I
noticed that Micron was selling DDR memory (266) for the same price as
PC133.

Regards,

John

Hardware advice needed

Post by Richard Kimbe » Sat, 13 Jan 2001 21:41:50

>On Thu, 11 Jan 2001 16:19:55 -0000, "Richard Kimber"

>The 820 chipset has been dropped by Intel.

>I have 2 Dell systems at work (1) 933 with 815 chipset (2) 750 with
>820 chipset. The 750 with rambus memory is faster. The down side is
>that the 820 chipset doesn't have good support in Linux. So far, I
>don't have AGP support with the 820. Also, I think that the 820 only
>supports 2 Rdimms (or whatever they're called), and they're very
>expensive. I suspect that rambus memory will go away.

>Both machines are very reliable using kernel 2.4.0 (at the moment,
>I'll upgrade tomorrow).

>If I were buying, I think I'd wait for the DDR Athlon motherboards. I
>noticed that Micron was selling DDR memory (266) for the same price as
>PC133.

Thanks.
I can't afford to wait. I need a machine urgently and had narrowed it down
to the two options mentioned.
It sounds as though rambus and 820 are to be avoided.

- Richard.

1. Hardware advice needed

Hi all,

We are developing an application that will need to:
1. Run an http server and database.
2. Drive a 15" VGA screen.
3. Run an http client (over X Windows).
4. Communicate with a couple of devices over serial ports.
5. Sound output would be very nice.
6. Communicate via a modem line.  Definitely PPP for IP, and probably
direct connect as well.

I was thinking PC/104 and Linux.  PC/104 because I don't know any
better, and Linux (pref Debian) because I know and like it.  Differing
reasons then.  :)

What I'd reallly like to know is, are there any other realistic
options, and what kind of processor / memory should we be looking at?

Antony

2. / [CFT] convert node_start_paddr to node_start_pfn

3. Solaris x86, Hardware advice needed

4. Downgrading from kde 2.1 to 1.1 on RH 7.1

5. Hardware advice needed

6. C stdout redirection

7. Crystal SoundFusion (CS 4280)

8. ISDN hardware advice needed

9. Need advice on new Linux/*BSD-compatible hardware (and Linux Hardware Database is gone)

10. Hardware advice needed.... I am looking to put together a

11. Advice needed on short list of hardware for Alpha newbie (long)

12. Need advice on hardware setup for high-trafic site