SGI Visual Workstation 320 compatibility?

SGI Visual Workstation 320 compatibility?

Post by Anu & Niti » Sat, 03 May 2003 10:22:35

Hi folks,

Anyone know which distribution, if any, supports the SGI Visual Workstation
320 with it's Cobalt graphics chipsets and built-in multimedia? SGI
apparently did port Linux to this machine but I can't seem to find if they
released their drivers.

thanks,

Nitin

Post by John-Paul Stewar » Sat, 03 May 2003 22:29:50

> Hi folks,

> Anyone know which distribution, if any, supports the SGI Visual Workstation
> 320 with it's Cobalt graphics chipsets and built-in multimedia?

There used to be some support for them in the stock kernel.  I don't
know if it still in current kernels.  However, graphics drivers were
never fully ported.  The Cobalt graphics are supported only in an
unaccelerated mode which doesn't use any of the chip's features.
Likewise, the multi-media support is lacking.

In short, the features that make the VW320 different from other PCs are
only partially supported under Linux and will never be fully supported.

SGI Visual Workstation 320 compatibility?

Post by Anu & Niti » Sun, 04 May 2003 01:36:59

Thanks. Do you know if the SMP implementation on the 320 is supported? Also,
I understand that the 320 boots up in a non-standard way; is that supported?
Any resources that you could point me to?

Basically, I'm looking for a decent, reliable (cheap) Linux box for some
comm. development. My local discount warehouse has a couple of the SGI's
with dual P3 and 512 MB for sale and it's tempting to pick one up just for
the price/configuration but I'd hate to end up battling installation issues.

Appreciate your help.

Nitin

> > Hi folks,

> > Anyone know which distribution, if any, supports the SGI Visual
Workstation
> > 320 with it's Cobalt graphics chipsets and built-in multimedia?

> There used to be some support for them in the stock kernel.  I don't
> know if it still in current kernels.  However, graphics drivers were
> never fully ported.  The Cobalt graphics are supported only in an
> unaccelerated mode which doesn't use any of the chip's features.
> Likewise, the multi-media support is lacking.

> In short, the features that make the VW320 different from other PCs are
> only partially supported under Linux and will never be fully supported.

SGI Visual Workstation 320 compatibility?

Post by THX11 » Wed, 07 May 2003 00:45:33

Quote:> Thanks. Do you know if the SMP implementation on the 320 is supported? Also,
> I understand that the 320 boots up in a non-standard way; is that supported?
> Any resources that you could point me to?

> Basically, I'm looking for a decent, reliable (cheap) Linux box for some
> comm. development. My local discount warehouse has a couple of the SGI's
> with dual P3 and 512 MB for sale and it's tempting to pick one up just for
> the price/configuration but I'd hate to end up battling installation issues.

> Appreciate your help.

> Nitin

SMP is supported on the 320 but you need to buy an additional voltage
regulator.
The video and system ram are shared so get as much RAM as possible,
512 is good...

The Linux update for these is wierd and you would be better off with a
standard PeeCee.

Windows 2000 Pro has support drivers and I think XP Pro does too.

THX

> > > Hi folks,

> > > Anyone know which distribution, if any, supports the SGI Visual
>  Workstation
> > > 320 with it's Cobalt graphics chipsets and built-in multimedia?

> > There used to be some support for them in the stock kernel.  I don't
> > know if it still in current kernels.  However, graphics drivers were
> > never fully ported.  The Cobalt graphics are supported only in an
> > unaccelerated mode which doesn't use any of the chip's features.
> > Likewise, the multi-media support is lacking.

> > In short, the features that make the VW320 different from other PCs are
> > only partially supported under Linux and will never be fully supported.

1. SGI Visual Workstation 320

I have just got my paws on one of these babies,
and the immediate question is: how can I load
Linux onto it?

Has anyone done this. I see the 2.2.5 kernel has
settings for these machines. Has anyone tried it?

Thanks
Jeremy
Visual Numerics (Pty) Ltd
Mail: P. O. Box 11033  Street: 9 Pannevis Road
      Vorna Valley             Vorna Valley
      1686                     1686
      R.S.A.                   R.S.A.
Tel: +27-11-466-0319
Fax: +27-11-466-0320

2. High-density tape media

3. Boot Linux / DOS

4. Install SuSE 6.3 on SGI 320 Visual Workstation

5. sound during system startup (in LILO?)

6. SGI 320 Visual workstation

7. HELP CONFIGURING KEYBOARD WITH DOSEMU

8. SGI Visual Workstation support?

9. SGI Visual Workstation datasheets

10. Installing Red Hat Linux 6.1 on SGI Visual Workstation 540

11. SGI Visual Workstations?

12. SGI Visual Workstation 540 and Qlogic 1080....