Best Build machine: KT333 w/ 32 bit PCI or KT266 w/ 64 bit pci

Best Build machine: KT333 w/ 32 bit PCI or KT266 w/ 64 bit pci

Post by Brian P. Barne » Mon, 01 Jul 2002 03:27:59

Hi,

I want to build a machine for compiling. I'm looking for a motherboard
with a KT333 chip set and 2, 64 bit PCI slots for a caching SCSI RAID
controller and a 2 GB NIC. Our make files and compiler won't take
advantage of dual processors. The only motherboards I have found with 64
bit PCI slots have slow KT266 or 760 chip sets.

Would it be faster to go with

   * Gigabyte GA-7VRXP or ABit AT7 or Asus A7V333
   * Athlon XP Thoroughbred 2200+ overclocked to the max (what is max?)
   * KT333 chip set
   * 1.5 GB Corsair PC3000, CAS 2, 370 MHz DDR
   * 32 bit, 33 MHz PCI
   * Adaptec SCSI RAID 2100S w/ 128 MB cache, RAID 0
   * 4, Cheetah X15, 73 GB, 8 MB cache on RAID
   * One Cheetah X15 for Linux, one for swap on other SCSI channel
   * Water cooled CPU

or

   * Tyan Thunder K7X or Asus A7M266-D
   * Dual Athlon MP 2100+ Palamino slightly overclocked
   * AMD-760 MPX or KT266 chip set
   * 2 GB Corsair PC2100, CAS 2.5, 266 MHz DDR
   * 64 bit, 66 MHz  PCI
   * Adaptec SCSI RAID 3210S w/ 256 MB cache, RAID 0
   * 4, Cheetah X15, 73 GB, 8 MB cache on RAID
   * One Cheetah X15 for Linux, one for swap on other SCSI channel
   * Water cooled CPU

The system will be paid for with company dollars so price is no object.

The compiler, linker, libraries, source, objects and temp objects will
all fit in 1.5 GB for a single build. The time to load 300 MB into RAM
for 32 bit, 33 MHz at 132 MB/sec is 2.3 seconds and I think that 4
Cheetah X15s will keep the PCI bus saturated. With 64 Bit and 66 MHz, it
would be about 1/2 second. I think that the compile and link time will
dwarf the loading time. We currently have 30 minute builds with dual P4,
1.4 GHz and slow, 10k RPM, NAS disks (and many users) and I am shooting
for 10 minutes or less.

I really only need to do a single build at a time and the most time
consuming part of the build is the link which is extremely CPU and
memory intensive. Assuming near zero swapping, and the inability to
efficiently make use of dual processors, how much faster will the faster
cpu/chip/memory system be than the other?

How far can you overclock the Thoroughbred XP or the Palamino MP with
the same water cooling system?

How fast would a P4 2.4 GHz be compared to the XP Thoroughbred 2200+
overclocked to ~2400+ for compiling and linking?

I want a dragster. Best Motherboard? Any brilliant ideas appreciated!

    Brian

Post by Doki » Mon, 01 Jul 2002 06:44:35

> Hi,
> I want to build a machine for compiling. I'm looking for a
> motherboard with a KT333 chip set and 2, 64 bit PCI slots for a
> caching SCSI RAID controller and a 2 GB NIC. Our make files and
> compiler won't take advantage of dual processors. The only
> motherboards I have found with 64 bit PCI slots have slow KT266 or
> 760 chip sets.
> Would it be faster to go with
> Gigabyte GA-7VRXP or ABit AT7 or Asus A7V333
> Athlon XP Thoroughbred 2200+ overclocked to the max (what is max?)

That's going to be very dependent on the chip you get, and the cooling you
supply.

Quote:> How far can you overclock the Thoroughbred XP or the Palamino MP with
> the same water cooling system?
> How fast would a P4 2.4 GHz be compared to the XP Thoroughbred 2200+
> overclocked to ~2400+ for compiling and linking?

The same applies here. A lot is down to the chip that you get. You could
always buy several of the same chip to experiment with and sell the slower
ones on ebay. Some places also sell chips with a "guaranteed" overclock.
Also: please, for the love of God, post in plain text rather than HTML.

Post by Hostasaurus.Com - David Hubbar » Mon, 01 Jul 2002 12:45:28

> Hi,

> I want to build a machine for compiling. I'm looking for a motherboard
> with a KT333 chip set and 2, 64 bit PCI slots for a caching SCSI RAID
> controller and a 2 GB NIC. Our make files and compiler won't take
> advantage of dual processors. The only motherboards I have found with 64
> bit PCI slots have slow KT266 or 760 chip sets.

No such thing as a 2 GB NIC.

Quote:> Would it be faster to go with

>     * Gigabyte GA-7VRXP or ABit AT7 or Asus A7V333
>     * Athlon XP Thoroughbred 2200+ overclocked to the max (what is max?)
>     * KT333 chip set
>     * 1.5 GB Corsair PC3000, CAS 2, 370 MHz DDR
>     * 32 bit, 33 MHz PCI
>     * Adaptec SCSI RAID 2100S w/ 128 MB cache, RAID 0
>     * 4, Cheetah X15, 73 GB, 8 MB cache on RAID
>     * One Cheetah X15 for Linux, one for swap on other SCSI channel
>     * Water cooled CPU

> or

>     * Tyan Thunder K7X or Asus A7M266-D
>     * Dual Athlon MP 2100+ Palamino slightly overclocked
>     * AMD-760 MPX or KT266 chip set
>     * 2 GB Corsair PC2100, CAS 2.5, 266 MHz DDR
>     * 64 bit, 66 MHz  PCI
>     * Adaptec SCSI RAID 3210S w/ 256 MB cache, RAID 0
>     * 4, Cheetah X15, 73 GB, 8 MB cache on RAID
>     * One Cheetah X15 for Linux, one for swap on other SCSI channel
>     * Water cooled CPU

> The system will be paid for with company dollars so price is no object.

If price is no object, and it's for corporate use, I'd suggest
getting yourself a nice Dell 2650 with dual 2.53 GHz P4's and
run software RAID on those fast drives, that would smoke any of the
machines listed above, has PCI-X slots for super I/O, built in
dual-gig copper, and would give you the reliability you
need along with a 4 hour response time warranty if you needed
that too.

Quote:> The compiler, linker, libraries, source, objects and temp objects will
> all fit in 1.5 GB for a single build. The time to load 300 MB into RAM
> for 32 bit, 33 MHz at 132 MB/sec is 2.3 seconds and I think that 4
> Cheetah X15s will keep the PCI bus saturated. With 64 Bit and 66 MHz, it
> would be about 1/2 second. I think that the compile and link time will
> dwarf the loading time. We currently have 30 minute builds with dual P4,
> 1.4 GHz and slow, 10k RPM, NAS disks (and many users) and I am shooting
> for 10 minutes or less.

> I really only need to do a single build at a time and the most time
> consuming part of the build is the link which is extremely CPU and
> memory intensive. Assuming near zero swapping, and the inability to
> efficiently make use of dual processors, how much faster will the faster
> cpu/chip/memory system be than the other?

Why can't you take advantage of dual processors?  I'm sure there are
parts of a build that can run in parallel, just do make -j 2 and see
if it speeds things up.  Or on that Dell I mentioned above, do make -j 4
since the two Xeon's show up as four cpu's under linux with
hyperthreading support.

Just some thoughts,

Dave

Quote:> How far can you overclock the Thoroughbred XP or the Palamino MP with
> the same water cooling system?

> How fast would a P4 2.4 GHz be compared to the XP Thoroughbred 2200+
> overclocked to ~2400+ for compiling and linking?

> I want a dragster. Best Motherboard? Any brilliant ideas appreciated!

>     Brian

Best Build machine: KT333 w/ 32 bit PCI or KT266 w/ 64 bit pci

Post by Ben » Mon, 01 Jul 2002 22:07:10

A 2Gb NIC is Gigabit ethernet/full-duplex, i suppose

The dell is a good idea, only if those 2.53 P4s are northwood cores (with
512kb L3 cache)
Quite a lot cheaper than the dell would be a single P4 machine with 1.5Gb
DDR on an Ali or SiS chipset (or Intel 845, but its a bit more pricey)

the additionnal cmd line arguments are a very good idea, regardless of the
number of procs. I ususally just increase the number until my RAM is full.
(i have 512DDR).

hope it helps

Ben

Post by Hostasaurus.Com - David Hubbar » Tue, 02 Jul 2002 13:44:00

> A 2Gb NIC is Gigabit ethernet/full-duplex, i suppose

Hmm, yes, good point.  gig NIC's are inherently full
duplex so I forgot about that.

Quote:> The dell is a good idea, only if those 2.53 P4s are northwood cores

 > (with 512kb L3 cache) Quite a lot cheaper than the dell would be a
 > single P4 machine with 1.5Gb DDR on an Ali or SiS chipset (or Intel
 > 845, but its a bit more pricey)

Yep, that they are, I don't have the 2.53 model, but my 2650's with
dual 2.4's show up as four of these in /proc/cpuinfo:

processor       : 3
vendor_id       : GenuineIntel
cpu family      : 15
model           : 2
model name      : Intel(R) XEON(TM) CPU 2.40GHz
stepping        : 4
cpu MHz         : 2392.338
cache size      : 512 KB
fdiv_bug        : no
hlt_bug         : no
f00f_bug        : no
coma_bug        : no
fpu             : yes
fpu_exception   : yes
cpuid level     : 2
wp              : yes
flags           : fpu vme de pse tsc msr pae mce cx8 apic sep mtrr mca
cmov pat pse36 clflush dts acpi mmx fxsr sse sse2 ss ht tm
bogomips        : 4784.12

Yeah, you can certainly build a machine for less that probably
outperforms the Dell, but for the money, you get quite a machine
in a 2U chassis that won't have any cooling issues, gives you PCI-X,
dual onboard gig copper on a seperate PCI-X bus, remote management,
etc.  It's actually one of their better deals, some of their other
servers aren't so hot.

Dave

Quote:> the additionnal cmd line arguments are a very good idea, regardless of the

Post by Simon Matthew » Thu, 04 Jul 2002 05:11:06

> A 2Gb NIC is Gigabit ethernet/full-duplex, i suppose

> The dell is a good idea, only if those 2.53 P4s are northwood cores (with
> 512kb L3 cache)
> Quite a lot cheaper than the dell would be a single P4 machine with 1.5Gb
> DDR on an Ali or SiS chipset (or Intel 845, but its a bit more pricey)

> the additionnal cmd line arguments are a very good idea, regardless of the
> number of procs. I ususally just increase the number until my RAM is full.
> (i have 512DDR).

Quite a lot cheaper than the Dell would also be an Intel E7500-based
system built around a MB from another vendor, such as Tyan. Using CL2
PC2100 memory is going to be about the same as CL2.5 PC2700 memory (and
CL2 PC2700 is not yet available).

The E7500 chipset supports dual-channel memory, which is probably going to
be a lot faster than a single channel KT333 based system.

Simon

Quote:

> hope it helps

> Ben

1. Why is my 32 bit executable faster than 64 bit build on ultra sparc.

Hi,

I'm running on a

SunOS enigma 5.8 Generic_108528-12 sun4u sparc SUNW,Ultra-5_10

Using cc: Sun WorkShop 6 update 2 C 5.3 2001/05/15,
I build a 32 bit version (no special compile flags except for -O)
and a 64 bit version ( -xtarget=ultra -xarch=v9 -dalign ).

I then build a 32 bit executable and a 64 bit executable and run them.

Running on the same machine, my 64 bit executable is approximately 20%
SLOWER and I'm trying to get a handle of why this should be the case.
The computations being done are fairly floating point intensive.

How is that the emulated 32 bit program runs faster than the 64 bit
version?

Thanks,

Ted

2. Stupid SCSI tape question, plus CDROM

3. Starting a 64 bit Sol8 Machine in 32 bit mode

4. Adaptec 2940 with RedHat?

5. How to determine 32 bit and 64 bit machine

6. Looking for MiroSound PCM1 driver

7. Compiling 64-bit code on 32-bit machine

8. AhA2940 Troubles - SOLVED!!

9. 2 Questions-SMP / 32 bit on 64 bit machine

10. host mastered 64 bit wide transfers to 64 bit PCI slot?

11. performance of runing 32/64 bit program in 64 bit kernel.

12. Solaris 9 installed with 32 & 64 bit supports but boots in 32 bit mode

13. 32 versus 64 bit PCI