CDROM changer recommendation?

Post by Alan Jaffr » Fri, 16 Jul 1999 04:00:00

I've come to the conclusion that the best way to get cheap and
reliable access to three CDs under Linux is to buy two more CDROM
drives.  Two decent 36x drives cost $70, and no worries about
compatibility or coordinating simultaneous access or having
the changer mechanism break or whatever.

So, that's what I'm doing.

Alan

--

there's nothing you can do that can't be done

Post by rsimp.. » Sat, 24 Jul 1999 04:00:00

: I've come to the conclusion that the best way to get cheap and
: reliable access to three CDs under Linux is to buy two more CDROM
: drives.  Two decent 36x drives cost $70, and no worries about
: compatibility or coordinating simultaneous access or having
: the changer mechanism break or whatever.

It's a sound scheme to do this if you have enough room in your case and
you only need 3 drives.  Once you get to 6 (which is what my changer
supports) then space constraints become a bit of a problem and the
cost balances out (especially when you include electricity costs for
a 24x7 system like mine).

--
Richard Simpson
Farnborough, Hants, Uk                 Fax: 01252 392118

I am not aware of any views shared by myself and my employers.

1. NEC CDR-4300 Multi-platter CDROM Changer

I've been reading under the linux source documentation that there is a way
to make use of these cdrom changers in Linux.  I can mount the changer and
it will read the #1 cdrom just fine.  Are there any programs written to
allow me to access the other cd's.  I am using kernel 2.2.10 and Samba 2.x.
I would like to use the automounter  to access any cd's so I need a way to
setup /auto/cdrom2, /auto/cdrom3 and /auto/cdrom4.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.
Rois

2. Streamworks and Linux

3. Poneer 602 CDROM changer

4. make xconfig & qt

5. NEC IDE CDROM changer and IDESCSI?

6. resuming problem

7. IRQ timeout when switching slot on ide cdrom changer

8. aha152x.c

9. help w/ cdrom changer, and lynx....

10. CDROM changer supprt.

11. CDROM changers and UNIX support ?

12. NEC-2Xc 7 disk cdrom changer and NEtBSD-1.1

13. nec 4x4 ide/atapi cdrom changer