initrd extends beyond end of memory

Post by Mike Robbin » Sat, 29 Jul 2000 04:00:00

I'm using the Redhat 6.2 stock kernel, 2.2.14-5.0 I believe.  AMD K6-
2/500, 128MB Ram, two 20.4GB IDE hard drives.  I've got a RAID 1 root
partition set up(md0=hda5+hdc5), but I have a 20mb /boot partition on
/dev/hda1.  When I boot off of the floppy that the RH setup generated,
everything works perfectly.  When I boot off of the hard drive, I get a
message that says:

initrd extends beyond end of memory (0xc0fffee070 > 0xc0000080)

Then it disables initrd and it says Memory 0kb / 0kb and has problems
allocating cache tables or something, and it panics and dies.  I tried
doing a mkinitrd --with=raid1, to no avail.  I also tried simply copying
vmlinuz and initrd from the floppy, also the same error is produced.

Any ideas anyone?  This is really strange.  Any ideas are appreciated.

Thanks,

Mike Robbins

initrd extends beyond end of memory

Post by Mike Robbin » Sat, 29 Jul 2000 04:00:00

Actually, after a little tweaking with LILO, the system now boots just
fine off of the hard drive using the vmlinuz and initrd from the floppy.
I now dread doing a kernel upgrade!  I'd still like to know if anyone has
any ideas about my original problem.

Thanks,

Mike Robbins

Post by Dances With Cro » Sat, 29 Jul 2000 04:00:00

>Actually, after a little tweaking with LILO, the system now boots just
>fine off of the hard drive using the vmlinuz and initrd from the floppy.
>I now dread doing a kernel upgrade!  I'd still like to know if anyone has
>any ideas about my original problem.

initrd is not necessary, so long as you compile the appropriate stuff
directly into the kernel.  initrd seems to be more of a headache for
people than anything else, or so my reading of the NGs tells me.  When
you compile a kernel, make sure you put {IDE,SCSI} disk support, MD
support, RAID{0,1,whatever} support, and ext2 filesystem support
directly into the kernel and not as modules.  No initrd needed, less
mucking about with LILO and worrying whether or not it's going to work.

Brainbench MVP for Linux Admin /   Tyranny is always better organized
http://www.brainbench.com     /    than freedom.
-----------------------------/              --Charles Peguy

1. Initrd extends beyond end of memory (0xfeffbc12 > 0xfc000000)

Hi,

I have tried all of RH's boot images and I still can't install on
my machine with Adaptec SCSI card 3950U2.  The HD has been low-level
formatted.  I have also tried to dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/sda bs=512
count=1 to zero out the boot sector.  Still no luck.  Somebody has
used this successully before and installed NT on it, so hardware
works OK.  My SCSI BIOS sees the drive OK.  Should I try to run
DOS fdisk /mbr ??????

The error:

Initrd extends beyond end of memory (0xfeffbc12 > 0xfc000000)
disabling initrd

Then at the end:

scsi : 0 hosts.
scsi : detected total.

Then the usual 'VFS unable to mount root' kernel panic message.

1.)  Why, if I use RH's boot.img or bootnet.img
and type 'linux supp' it doesn't prompt me for the supp.img disk?
Why would it try to look for the
SCSI disk, if it will later need modules from the modules.img?

2.)  I can boot up machine into install linux mode with slakware
images.  Can I then forcibly run whatever script RH runs off its
CD ROM?

3.)  It is Nov. 30.  Tomorrow the new SUSE 6.3 comes out.  Should I

Thanks,

AG

2. Copying files with long names to Windows '95 machines

3. SPARC: 2GB of RAM not enough?! ("initrd extends beyond end of memory")

4. Anyone runing LRP 2.9.8 please post network.conf

5. INSTALL ERROR: NT partition or slice extends beyond end of disk error

6. Bad Blocks

7. Solaris 7 fdisk problem: "partition 4 extends beyond end of disk"

8. Slackware and AC97...

9. Slice extends beyond end of disk?

10. Partition 4 extends beyond end of disk

11. Slice extends beyond end of disk.

12. install error: slice extends beyond end of disk (NT partition problem)

13. Problem with Solaris for Intel installation - slice extends beyond end of disk