OptiPlex GMT 5133 ide2 usable?

Post by <f.. » Sat, 30 Dec 2000 07:05:44

I have purchased a Dell OptiPlex GMT 5133 to use as a Linux firewall.
I have discovered that although it has two ide ports on the motherboard
RedHat Linux 7.0 install only sees the first one.  A quick search on
the Dell support web site reveals that to use the second ide port on
the motherboard requires a special driver that Dell lists as being
available for several older operating systems:

IBM OS/2 2.1x
Microsoft Windows 3.1
Microsoft Windows NT 3.1
Novell NetWare 3.1x
Novell NetWare 4.0x
SCO UNIX 3.2.4

Anyone have any luck getting any version of Linux to recognize the ide2
interface on this motherboard?

Thanks,
  Frank Swasey
--
Always remember: You are UNIQUE, just like everyone else.

1. Solaris 2.5 x86 on Compaq DeskPro XL 5133

I'm trying to install Solaris 2.5 on my home computer, a Compaq DeskPro
XL 133Mhz Pentium box.  During the early stages of the installation, it
generates a kernel panic:

Panic: Page fault
BAD TRAP
Page Fault
Kernel fault at adr=xxxxx

The Solaris installation guide mentions a similar problem and suggests
turning off the external cache, but nowhere in the Compaq documentation
or in the BIOS setup can I find a description of how to to this or if it
is at all possible.

The 90Mhz version of basically the same machine is listed in the x86
Hardware Compability List, so I hadn't expected any problems.

My machine has 32Mb of RAM and a Matrox Millennium video card. I'm using
an external Sun CD-ROM drive.

I would be very grateful to hear from anyone who has successfully
installed Solaris 2.5 x86 on such a beast, or who can otherwise provide
any suggestions.

UNIX Systems Administrator
A/S Norske Shell               (+47) 516 93 069 / (+47) 515 56 664

2. UUCP and Linux

3. help: net adapter in compaq deskpro 5133

4. How many users can I get on a 486 DX2 66 server?

5. HELP: compaq 5133 - slackware 96 from Infomagic

6. LinuxPPC 2000 Q4...where can I find it?

7. Compaq 5133 & Slackware 3.0.0

8. Need script to count the new processes, but don't know they id's, please see inside

9. adaptec 2940 on compaq despro 5133

10. Anyone tried a Tangent 5133 computer

11. Linux_FT & Compaq Deskpro 5133

12. Compaq Prolinea 5133 and second IDE Controller (ide1?)

13. compaq deskpro 5133 netflex embedded card and PCI