dvd drive driving me crazy

Post by Alexander Linkenbac » Wed, 23 Jun 2004 18:11:34

Hi
I have got a scsi dvd drive (TOSHIBA DVD-ROM SD-M1401) which after a
year started the very stupid behaviour of opening and closing its drawer
several (up to 10 ) times most times it is being accessed before finally
being able to read the dvd/cd inserted or even when booting being empty.
For some reason it seems it cannot identify what is in the drive or even
if there is something in the drive straight away. No big problem, I must
admit but still quite annoying. I once opened the drive and cleaned it
which seemed to solve the problem for a couple of weeks. But I am not in
the mood of doing this every 14 days. Anyone any clue?

Problem is OS independent and does not occur with the other cd drives
installed.

alex

dvd drive driving me crazy

Post by Robert Stankowi » Wed, 23 Jun 2004 22:49:56

> Hi
> I have got a scsi dvd drive (TOSHIBA DVD-ROM SD-M1401) which after a
> year started the very stupid behaviour of opening and closing its
> drawer several (up to 10 ) times most times it is being accessed
> before finally being able to read the dvd/cd inserted or even when
> booting being empty. For some reason it seems it cannot identify
> what is in the drive or even if there is something in the drive
> straight away. No big problem, I must admit but still quite
> annoying. I once opened the drive and cleaned it which seemed to
> solve the problem for a couple of weeks. But I am not in the mood of
> doing this every 14 days. Anyone any clue?

> Problem is OS independent and does not occur with the other cd
> drives installed.

> alex

If you can afford it, get rid of it and buy a new one - seriously, the
cost of your time is probably higher.

You could try pressurized air for cleaning, but IMO it's more likely
that some component is dying (spindle motor? happens frequently to CD
drives)

dvd drive driving me crazy

Post by Alexander Linkenbac » Wed, 23 Jun 2004 23:52:03

> If you can afford it, get rid of it and buy a new one - seriously, the
> cost of your time is probably higher.

Hm, unfortunately it has to be an scsi one due to lack of free ide
interfaces, so the cost factor is not really that minor...
alex

dvd drive driving me crazy

Post by Alexander Linkenbac » Thu, 24 Jun 2004 02:44:41

Quote:

> An additional IDE card would probably cost less than the SCSI-IDE price
> differential, and would enlarge your search set considerably.

Well yes, that would be a good idea; if I had any ISA or PCI slot left. Grr.
alex

dvd drive driving me crazy

Post by ray » Thu, 24 Jun 2004 02:53:49

>> An additional IDE card would probably cost less than the SCSI-IDE price
>> differential, and would enlarge your search set considerably.

> Well yes, that would be a good idea; if I had any ISA or PCI slot left. Grr.
> alex

usb-scsi adapter?

dvd drive driving me crazy

Post by Hamilcar Barc » Thu, 24 Jun 2004 06:20:25

>> I have got a scsi dvd drive (TOSHIBA DVD-ROM SD-M1401) which after a
>> year started the very stupid behaviour of opening and closing its
>> drawer [...]

> If you can afford it, get rid of it and buy a new one - seriously, the
> cost of your time is probably higher.

The M1401 is an RPC1 drive and they aren't being made any longer.  I'd
work hard to keep mine if it was failing.

Quote:> You could try pressurized air for cleaning, but IMO it's more likely
> that some component is dying (spindle motor?

Unfortunately, you may be correct.

1. G3 DVD drive usable as CD drive?

I am planning to order a BTO configuration G3 and was wondering if
anyone had experience using a DVD drive as a CDROM under LinuxPPC
or MkLinux?  Any experience installing from the DVD drive would also
be helpful.

I will post a summary of any relevant e-mail that I receive.

Thanks,
-David

2. SB PRO with mitsumi FX001D

3. DVD ROM Drive, AGP Graphics Card II, Lomega Internal Zip Drive

4. Getting all information possible about printers....

5. hard drive and DVD drive suggestions

6. HACMP - no longer necessary?

7. DVD: Is Toshiba SD-C2002 DVD drive supported in 2.2.6?

8. video7 1024i SVGA and ibm8515 ps/2 monitor

9. DVD drives in laptops and DVD+-RW's

10. DVD: Can I install and run linux on a DVD drive?

11. DVD SCSI burner, I want DVD+RW, DVD-RW, DVD-RAM

12. MOUSE driving me crazy-X-server

13. Driving me crazy