Help Redhat 5.1 Backpack CDROM

Post by Grant Guenth » Wed, 22 Jul 1998 04:00:00

Quote:>I am a LINUX neophyte, and I am attempting to install Redhat 5.1 on to my NEC
>Versa 2000c laptop from a Microsolutions Backpack Parallel Port CD-ROM (Model
>163550).

>The CD-ROM is listed under 'other' CD-ROM drives as though it is supported,
>but when I try autoprobe the install says it can't find the drive, when I try
>manually, specifying driver parameters (parallel port address as '0x378'),
>the install hangs.

>What am I missing?  Can Redhat 5.1 be installed from a parallel port CD-ROM?

Yes, but support for the backpack has been evolving over the last couple
of years.  The 163550 is an older model - which was not originally supported
but is now supported in the most recent Linux drivers.  Unfortunately,
RedHat's boot disk does not have the current driver on it.   The first
thing for you to do is to get

        ftp://ftp.torque.net/pub/rh5bpcd.img

That's a boot disk for 5.0.  It has the latest driver on it.  Please
make a floppy from it and boot it with your backpack attached and the
5.1 CD in the drive.  You probably won't be able to finish the installation
with that disk, but it will confirm whether your drive is going to work
if we make a real 5.1 boot disk.

When asked for parameters, just enter

        verbose=1

Then check the <ALT-F4> screen for the autoprobe messages ...

Please contact me directly to continue this discussion.

1. Help: Redhat 5.0 & Backpack bantam CDROM

Help - I have a Micro Solutions Backpack Bantam CDROM drive, and I can't see
it. How do I insmod it, or is it supported? I have tried insmod bpcd and
have added the parameters bp_base=0x378 and bp_mode=0, 1 and 2.

I have also tried bp_debug=1 to try to identify what's wrong, but I can only
see that it either a)can't see the devide at 378, or b) it only seems to use
mode 1.

My question really comes down to whether or not RedHat supports EPP or ECP
connections, and if the driver has a bug (!) where it only supports mode 1.

B=

2. mosaic question(s)

3. Redhat 5.10 to 5.1 upgrade loses a cdrom drive

4. Redhat 6.2 install woes

5. installing RedHat 4.0 w/backpack cdrom

6. Where do I find NIC drivers?

7. Redhat Install, no floppy + backpack cdrom

8. gcc, fvwm, xv on SunOs 5.5

9. *NEW* backpack CDROM install for RedHat 3.0.3

10. Redhat 5.1(CDROM) Boot Disks

11. redhat 5.1[ cdrom installation on a amd k6 d 233mhz notebook]

12. Creating Installation CDROM for Redhat 5.1

13. mounting CDROM with new install of REdHat 5.1