Which intelligent Serial-Board ? Or Terminalserver ?

Which intelligent Serial-Board ? Or Terminalserver ?

Post by Christoph Adome » Fri, 20 Oct 1995 04:00:00

Hi,
I am looking for an intelligent serial board with full modem support that
will handle 16 Fast Modems, most of them with 57600bps, some of them
even ISDN Modems with a speed of 115kbps.

On the first view I should only use Cyclades or Stallion Boards because
only these have a driver in the 1.3 Standard-Kernel which guarantees
the drivers to work with future Kernel versions.

I might need to upgrade from 16 to 32 Ports in a few month.

A local cyclades reseller told me that the cyclades boards are very good
but that I should not expect them to drive more than 20 very-high-speed
Ports at full speed in one 486 PC.

This leads me to the question: How intelligent are intelligent serial boards
regarding cpu load ? Are some intelligent boards more intelligent than
others in that respect ? Which Board shall I buy ? Or is it better to buy
a terminal-server to drive 20 Ports ?

Thanks
  Christoph