Ultra 66 Promise cards

Post by Stephen Green » Wed, 21 Jun 2000 04:00:00

Hi,
Does anyone know how to configure linux to work with promises'
Ultra 66 pci card?
I have downloaded drivers from the promise site, unfortunatly they
don't come with any hints!
Thanks

- Stephen Greene

Ultra 66 Promise cards

Post by Matthew Gat » Wed, 21 Jun 2000 04:00:00

This has been talked about too many times to repeat;
deja.com/usenet search it.

--
~MGatto~

"Tech support?!!??! We don't need no steekin tech support!?!"
Support the anti-spam movement; see <http://www.cauce.org/>

Ultra 66 Promise cards

Post by Andariu » Thu, 03 Aug 2000 04:00:00

Quote:>Hi,
>Does anyone know how to configure linux to work with promises'
>Ultra 66 pci card?
>I have downloaded drivers from the promise site, unfortunatly they
>don't come with any hints!
>Thanks

>- Stephen Greene

Clipped from the site that helped me!

  Ultra66.txt
11K Download

Ultra 66 Promise cards

Post by James Richard Tyre » Thu, 03 Aug 2000 04:00:00

> >Hi,
> >Does anyone know how to configure linux to work with promises'
> >Ultra 66 pci card?
> >I have downloaded drivers from the promise site, unfortunatly they
> >don't come with any hints!
> >Thanks

> >- Stephen Greene

> Clipped from the site that helped me!

>   ------------------------------------------------------------------------
>                   Name: Ultra66.txt
>    Ultra66.txt    Type: Plain Text (text/plain)
>               Encoding: 7bit

From my previous message:

I just finished installing  a Promise Ultra66 card today.  My
suggestions:

1.    Read the Ultra-DMA HOW TO available on the web.  The instructions
for the Ultra33 card about passing the paramaters to the  kernel should
enable you to boot from the floppy and use the hard drive with the
Ultra66 card.

2.    The issue is not the version of some distribution of Linux, but
the version of the Kernel.  You need to upgrade the Kernel to v.2.2.16
and apply the patch  'ide .2.2.16.all.20000722' to the source before you
build it.

3.    Then you may need to edit 'lilo.conf' by hand and run /sbin/lilo.
I found that my system would not boot.  It just printed LI and
stopped., untill, I added the 'linear' global paramater.

Everything now works (ant it only took three days to figure it out!)

Note that the attachment is an excerpt from  the Ultra-DMA HOWTO

available from kernel.org.  The patch is somewhat burried at
.../pub/linux/kernel/people/hedrick/

JRT

  tyrerj.vcf
< 1K Download

Ultra 66 Promise cards

Post by Jake » Fri, 04 Aug 2000 04:00:00

Hi James,

>I just finished installing  a Promise Ultra66 card today.  My
>suggestions:

I'm on day two, still not working ... :-)

Quote:>1.    Read the Ultra-DMA HOW TO available on the web.  The instructions
>for the Ultra33 card about passing the paramaters to the  kernel should
>enable you to boot from the floppy and use the hard drive with the
>Ultra66 card.

>2.    The issue is not the version of some distribution of Linux, but
>the version of the Kernel.  You need to upgrade the Kernel to v.2.2.16
>and apply the patch  to the source before you
>build it.

Thanks, didn't know about the 'ide .2.2.16.all.20000722'  patch.
Maybe that's my last problem. :-)

Quote:>The patch is somewhat burried at
>.../pub/linux/kernel/people/hedrick/

Thanks again,
Scott

1. Solution to Promise Ultra 66 Card

For all of you guys having troubles with installing Linux onto computers
with an Ultra 66 card, I think I may have found a solution.  On the
promise website, there is a boot disk for Red Hat Linux that should get
your CPU to recognize the controller card.  It is a beta, but I do have
a comfirmed source that it works for RH 6.0.  The URL for the driver is:

http://www.promise.com/latest/latedrivers.htm#linuxu66

It is also on their FTP site at:

ftp://ftp.promise.com/Controllers/IDE/Ultra66/RedHat/Driver/Beta/u66d...

The file contains a *.img file that you will need to use rawrite of the
linux CD to make (under the \dosutils directory).  Hope this is the
solution to everyone's problems!  :-)
--
David Johnson

2. kernel timer accuracy

3. Question: Problem with Promise Ultra-66 UDMA Controller Card

4. DVD: any plans?

5. HOW TO MAKE A PROMISE ULTRA 66 CONTROLLER CARD WORK WITH LINUX.

6. SCO OpenServer 5 & Adaptec 2940

7. Help Promise ultra ata 66 card

8. clueless with alladin gs 5.03

9. Promise Ultra ATA 66 card in Linux?

10. ultra 66 promise controller only sees 8 gig

11. Promise Ultra 66 IDE Controller

12. switch from IDE 66 to Promise Ultra 100 disk not mounting

13. RH 8.0 / Promise ultra 66 problems