Problems With X Windows and ATI Expert Expert 98 (Rage Pro) on Red Hat 5.1

Problems With X Windows and ATI Expert Expert 98 (Rage Pro) on Red Hat 5.1

Post by Gary S Whit » Tue, 18 Aug 1998 04:00:00

Hi was wondering if someone can help me ?  I am quite new to Unix and Linux
full stop and have just loaded Red Hat 5.1.

I have setup two user accounts, Root and my name gswhite.  But when I try to
run 'startx' I get the following error:-

Fatal Server Error:
Cannot open mouse (Operation not supported by Device)
'Mach64programClkMach64CT:warning:Q< 10.66666667
_X11TransSocketUnixConnect:Can't connect:errno=111 giving up.
Xinit:Connection refused(errno111):Unable to connect to X Server
Xint:No such process(errno3):server error.

Now my Video card Mach64(Rage Pro ATI)  is supported and I don't know if
this has to do with file permissions.  Can anyone help me please.  I am
desparate to get my final system working to learn more  about this OS but
can't get it running.

Thanks

Gary White

Post by mitc » Tue, 18 Aug 1998 04:00:00

> Hi was wondering if someone can help me ?  I am quite new to Unix and Linux
> full stop and have just loaded Red Hat 5.1.

> I have setup two user accounts, Root and my name gswhite.  But when I try to
> run 'startx' I get the following error:-

> Fatal Server Error:
> Cannot open mouse (Operation not supported by Device)
> 'Mach64programClkMach64CT:warning:Q< 10.66666667
> _X11TransSocketUnixConnect:Can't connect:errno=111 giving up.
> Xinit:Connection refused(errno111):Unable to connect to X Server
> Xint:No such process(errno3):server error.

> Now my Video card Mach64(Rage Pro ATI)  is supported and I don't know if
> this has to do with file permissions.  Can anyone help me please.  I am
> desparate to get my final system working to learn more  about this OS but
> can't get it running.

> Thanks

> Gary White

 type 'file /dev/mouse' and post what it says.

Also, are you using a PS/2 or serial mouse?
What type of mouse is configured in your /etc/XF86Config ?

-Mitch

Problems With X Windows and ATI Expert Expert 98 (Rage Pro) on Red Hat 5.1

Post by Gary S Whit » Tue, 18 Aug 1998 04:00:00

Mitch,
    I am using a PS/2 style Mouse.

Could this be the only problem ?  If so how do I change this and ensure the
symbollic link is correct ?

Cheers Gary

Quote:

> type 'file /dev/mouse' and post what it says.

>Also, are you using a PS/2 or serial mouse?
>What type of mouse is configured in your /etc/XF86Config ?

>-Mitch

Problems With X Windows and ATI Expert Expert 98 (Rage Pro) on Red Hat 5.1

Post by mitc » Tue, 18 Aug 1998 04:00:00

> Mitch,
>     I am using a PS/2 style Mouse.

> Could this be the only problem ?  If so how do I change this and ensure the
> symbollic link is correct ?

> Cheers Gary

> > type 'file /dev/mouse' and post what it says.

> >Also, are you using a PS/2 or serial mouse?
> >What type of mouse is configured in your /etc/XF86Config ?

> >-Mitch

  I forgot to say...
the kernel has to be specifically compiled to support the PS/2 mouse.
I _think_ that in RHat this is done in the default kernel, but I'm not sure.
Something to check if you run into a brick wall....

Problems With X Windows and ATI Expert Expert 98 (Rage Pro) on Red Hat 5.1

Post by mitc » Tue, 18 Aug 1998 04:00:00

> Mitch,
>     I am using a PS/2 style Mouse.

> Could this be the only problem ?  If so how do I change this and ensure the
> symbollic link is correct ?

> Cheers Gary

> > type 'file /dev/mouse' and post what it says.

> >Also, are you using a PS/2 or serial mouse?
> >What type of mouse is configured in your /etc/XF86Config ?

> >-Mitch

  Make sure that '/dev/mouse' points to '/dev/psaux':

rm /dev/mouse
ln -s  /dev/psaux /dev/mouse

Edit your /etc/XF86Config in the 'Pointer' section so that mouse type
reads "PS/2" instead of "Microsoft", which is the RH default.

Also, for gpm, edit the /etc/sysconfig/mouse file as needed.
I had to also edit the /etc/rc.d/init.d/gpm file because it didn't properly
pass the mouse type needed.  Your gpm startup command should be:
gpm -t PS2

If you use svgalib programs, edit the line in /etc/vga/libvga.config
(similar to the XF86Config format).

Hope this helps...
-Mitch

Problems With X Windows and ATI Expert Expert 98 (Rage Pro) on Red Hat 5.1

Post by Gary S Whit » Tue, 18 Aug 1998 04:00:00

Many Thanks Mitch I wil try this tonight.

Gary

Quote:>  Make sure that '/dev/mouse' points to '/dev/psaux':

>rm /dev/mouse
>ln -s  /dev/psaux /dev/mouse

>Edit your /etc/XF86Config in the 'Pointer' section so that mouse type
>reads "PS/2" instead of "Microsoft", which is the RH default.

>Also, for gpm, edit the /etc/sysconfig/mouse file as needed.
>I had to also edit the /etc/rc.d/init.d/gpm file because it didn't properly
>pass the mouse type needed.  Your gpm startup command should be:
>gpm -t PS2

>If you use svgalib programs, edit the line in /etc/vga/libvga.config
>(similar to the XF86Config format).

>Hope this helps...
>-Mitch

Problems With X Windows and ATI Expert Expert 98 (Rage Pro) on Red Hat 5.1

Post by Gary S Whit » Wed, 19 Aug 1998 04:00:00

Mitch,
    just to let you know that worked fine.  Many Thanks.  I was wondering if
I could ask just one more question?

I have an 8MB graphic card, but when ever I execute startx it always runs up
in 8bpp mode.  I can use 16/24/32bpp which are defined in "XF86Config" but
it doesn't seem to use them, even when I use the 'CTRL' 'ALT' '+' option
within 'X' to change resoulution.  I remeber reading something about startx
16bpp, but I believe it is picky regadring the amount of spaces to use.
Also once this is working how do you get this defined as a normal startup
resolution when I have changed the system to boot with 'X' automatically ?

Appreciate your help.

Gary

Quote:>  I forgot to say...

Post by mitc » Wed, 19 Aug 1998 04:00:00

> Mitch,
>     just to let you know that worked fine.  Many Thanks.  I was wondering if
> I could ask just one more question?

> I have an 8MB graphic card, but when ever I execute startx it always runs up
> in 8bpp mode.  I can use 16/24/32bpp which are defined in "XF86Config" but
> it doesn't seem to use them, even when I use the 'CTRL' 'ALT' '+' option
> within 'X' to change resoulution.  I remeber reading something about startx
> 16bpp, but I believe it is picky regadring the amount of spaces to use.
> Also once this is working how do you get this defined as a normal startup
> resolution when I have changed the system to boot with 'X' automatically ?

> Appreciate your help.

> Gary

> >  I forgot to say...
> >the kernel has to be specifically compiled to support the PS/2 mouse.
> >I _think_ that in RHat this is done in the default kernel, but I'm not
> sure.
> >Something to check if you run into a brick wall....
> >Mitch

  Gary,

I'm not sure how to set a default resolution when X starts, but I believe that
the
color depth can be set by putting a line in the 'Screen' section of your
XF86Config
(just before the 'Display' subsection).  The line should say:

 DefaultColorDepth  16

(or whatever you want the depth to be).
Good luck....
-Mitch

Problems With X Windows and ATI Expert Expert 98 (Rage Pro) on Red Hat 5.1

Post by Brett Reaso » Fri, 21 Aug 1998 04:00:00

ive got the same card (just bought it today).

you can change the color depth by typing "startx -bpp 24"
to make it default just change "/etc/bashrc" and add the following line
alias startx='startx -bpp 24'

im having some problems myself with other color depths.  when i use the
command "startx -bpp 24" X loads up in 8bit mode.  anybody have any
ideas?

im running redhat 5.1

>> Mitch,
>>     just to let you know that worked fine.  Many Thanks.  I was wondering if
>> I could ask just one more question?

>> I have an 8MB graphic card, but when ever I execute startx it always runs up
>> in 8bpp mode.  I can use 16/24/32bpp which are defined in "XF86Config" but
>> it doesn't seem to use them, even when I use the 'CTRL' 'ALT' '+' option
>> within 'X' to change resoulution.  I remeber reading something about startx
>> 16bpp, but I believe it is picky regadring the amount of spaces to use.
>> Also once this is working how do you get this defined as a normal startup
>> resolution when I have changed the system to boot with 'X' automatically ?

>> Appreciate your help.

>> Gary

>> >  I forgot to say...
>> >the kernel has to be specifically compiled to support the PS/2 mouse.
>> >I _think_ that in RHat this is done in the default kernel, but I'm not
>> sure.
>> >Something to check if you run into a brick wall....
>> >Mitch
>  Gary,
>I'm not sure how to set a default resolution when X starts, but I believe that
>the
>color depth can be set by putting a line in the 'Screen' section of your
>XF86Config
>(just before the 'Display' subsection).  The line should say:
> DefaultColorDepth  16
>(or whatever you want the depth to be).
>Good luck....
>-Mitch

Gamma Delta 1107        Phone: 201/963-8656
"Pinky"

Problems With X Windows and ATI Expert Expert 98 (Rage Pro) on Red Hat 5.1

Post by David Navarr » Fri, 21 Aug 1998 04:00:00

Speaking of the ATI Xpert 98-8...

Does anybody have a good modeline for 1600x1200 for a Viewsonic G810
(the 21" one)? All the modelines I've tried fail miserably... I can't
go above 1200x1024... :(

Many thanks!

David Navarro                    http://www.alcaudon.com
Technical Director                        DreamWorks SKG
"David Navarro is a threat to sanity." -Albert Einstein

Post by roo » Sat, 05 Sep 1998 04:00:00

> ive got the same card (just bought it today).

> you can change the color depth by typing "startx -bpp 24"
> to make it default just change "/etc/bashrc" and add the following line
> alias startx='startx -bpp 24'

> im having some problems myself with other color depths.  when i use the
> command "startx -bpp 24" X loads up in 8bit mode.  anybody have any
> ideas?

> im running redhat 5.1

>   8<------- [snip] -------- >8

Well, I'm a bit late (I don't get to read news very often) but your
mistake is pretty obvious:  the colordepth is a server parameter,
which must be called with a prefixed '--', just like this:
startx -- -bpp 24.
If you want to make 24 bpp your defaultcolordepth, edit /etc/XF86Config
and put defaultcolordepth=24 in the Screen-section.

--
Greetz, Marc

1. problem with ATI expert 98 /Rage pro chipset

Hi there,
Im experiencing problems with red hat XFree86 on my phillips 10S monitor on
ATI expert 98 with rage pro chipset.

I get a high resolution image, which looks fine except..
going from left to right
The rectangle covering the first third of the screen
is repeated exactly  in the 2nd and 3rd screens.
So I just get the left part of my xterm. but  times.repeated 3 times.
if I try the  -bpp 24, therer are more , but narrower repetitions.
can anyone please give me a hint as to how this could be fixed?
thanks
Ian Davies

2. Where is kernel-headers-2.2.13-0.9.rpm?

3. Linux with Windows 98 and ATI EXPERT 98D 3D

4. Sending binary files using mail

5. ATI EXpert 98 and XFree86 4.2.0

6. NeXTStep BETA on PPC?

7. Graphic Card : ATI Expert 98

8. server side includes on apache 2.0

9. ATI Expert 98 Graphics Card

10. Red Hat 5.2 and ATI 3d RAGE PRO AGP 2x X86 problem

11. video: ATI Expert 98

12. Yet Another ATI Rage II+ Problem for the Experts

13. Problem with my ATI Rage Expert 128 card