Success Story: nVidia GeForce4 Ti 4200 / Red Hat 7.3

Success Story: nVidia GeForce4 Ti 4200 / Red Hat 7.3

Post by Adam Monse » Sat, 07 Sep 2002 13:07:17

I didn't find anything (on Google/etc) before buying and installing, so I
thought I'd spread the word...

I just purchased an nVidia GeForce4 Ti 4200 AGP graphics card manufactured
by "MSI". Works awesome with Red Hat Linux 7.3 on a Dell Optiplex GX240.
* cost about $160
* dual head with different size monitors! (monitors: 1-Sony Trinitron
Flat Screen 21", 2-Sony Trinitron Flat Screen 19")
* drivers (RPM, SRPM, source) provided by nVidia. I used the SRPMS.
* works out-of-the-box, but nVidia's drivers allowed for dual-head and other
customizations (hardware-powered cursor shadow. woo hoo!)
* fast as hell: Tux Racer is amazing. I don't have Quake to test.
* my window manager (sawfish) seems to recognize the dual-headedness;
it places windows appropriately.

My only complaints are (1) it moved away the Mesa GL libraries in
favor of the nVidia GL stuff, so I wasn't able to compile "Cannon Smash"
from source. Not that I'll really play games anyway, I just thought I'd
try. (2) Every time I switch to a virtual terminal, any ANSI-colored
console text looks funky (or is invisible). Luckily, color can be
disabled most of the time for console apps.

My reason for trying the nVidia card was because I believe the ATI drivers
that come with Red Hat 7.3 (XFree86 4.2.0, I think) _don't work well_. I've
seen numerous problems ranging from full lock-ups to no virtual terminals,
to unusable X configurations. Bye bye ATI.

Post by baskitcais » Sat, 07 Sep 2002 16:59:53

> I didn't find anything (on Google/etc) before buying and installing, so I
> thought I'd spread the word...

> I just purchased an nVidia GeForce4 Ti 4200 AGP graphics card manufactured
> by "MSI". Works awesome with Red Hat Linux 7.3 on a Dell Optiplex GX240.
> * cost about $160
> * dual head with different size monitors! (monitors: 1-Sony Trinitron
> Flat Screen 21", 2-Sony Trinitron Flat Screen 19")
> * drivers (RPM, SRPM, source) provided by nVidia. I used the SRPMS.
> * works out-of-the-box, but nVidia's drivers allowed for dual-head and
> other customizations (hardware-powered cursor shadow. woo hoo!)
> * fast as hell: Tux Racer is amazing. I don't have Quake to test.
> * my window manager (sawfish) seems to recognize the dual-headedness;
> it places windows appropriately.

> My only complaints are (1) it moved away the Mesa GL libraries in
> favor of the nVidia GL stuff, so I wasn't able to compile "Cannon Smash"
> from source. Not that I'll really play games anyway, I just thought I'd
> try. (2) Every time I switch to a virtual terminal, any ANSI-colored
> console text looks funky (or is invisible). Luckily, color can be
> disabled most of the time for console apps.

> My reason for trying the nVidia card was because I believe the ATI drivers
> that come with Red Hat 7.3 (XFree86 4.2.0, I think) _don't work well_.
> I've seen numerous problems ranging from full lock-ups to no virtual
> terminals, to unusable X configurations. Bye bye ATI.

On SuSE "cannon smash" comes as an RPM and works pefect with the Nvidia
drivers, have you looked for the RPM`s, I know you are not that bothered
but it is a fun game :-)

--
Cheers
Mark

1. framebuffer: 2.4.19 - geforce4 ti 4200

does 2.4.19 support the geforce4 ti 4200 card (fb console)

my old tnt2 works but i cant get the new gforce4 to work (blank screen
when booting)

--
best regards

Michael Kummer

--
Michael Kummer - [A]ustrian [E]lite [S]printer
Lieferinger-Hauptstrasse 47 - A 5020 Salzburg

Web: http://www.sprinter.cc

-

2. Driver for Thrust Mpeg player Basic

3. GeForce4 Ti 4200

4. .a and .so files

5. Red Hat 5.0 success report (Dell PowerEdge 4200)

6. Module Management Questions

7. problems with Red Hat 8 and NVIDIA GeForce4 MX

8. App doesn't answer but networking is connected.

9. Red Hat / KDE Success Story

10. DVI + Xfree86 4.3 + 2.4.20 + Geforce 4 Ti 4200 help

11. Video capture woes (GeForce 4 Ti 4200)

12. Geforce 4 Ti 4200 card recommendations?

13. Red Hat 7.1 - Installing Red Hat packages after Red Hat is already installed.