Driver for Epson Stylus Color 740

Post by Falk Brettschneide » Tue, 22 Jun 1999 04:00:00

Hi,

I want my Epson Stylus Color 740 to print on my Linux machine (SuSE 6.1,
kernel 2.2.5) but it doesnt like to. I tried stc800??.upp, stc600??.upp
and stc500??.upp but without success.

Is there anybody who has such a printer successfully working on Linux? I
need a little bit help...
--

Ciao,
--Falk

Driver for Epson Stylus Color 740

Post by jbr.. » Tue, 22 Jun 1999 04:00:00

For the SuSE 6.0-1 users, the following worked for my Epson 740

Look at the SuSE Support Database:
http://www.suse.de/Support/sdb_e/index.html
"Printing with kernel 2.2.xx"  it says:
SuSE Linux: Versions since 6.0
Kernel: Versions since 2.2
Symptom: After updating to the 2.2.xx kernel printing no longer works...
Cause: With the 2.2.x kernel the "parport" subsystem appeared and the
numbering of the interfaces has changed. Solution:
1. Please use the kernel that was provided with your SuSE system, as
well as the modules that are included in the "kernmod" package;
Unfortunately kernels that have been recompiled can not be covered by
our installation support!
2. In /etc/printcap change the device /dev/lp1 to /dev/lp0.
3 . . .etc.

READ the Epson 740 (Redhat) document for background:
http://lcewww.et.tudelft.nl/~haver/linux/epson.html

CHECK to see if anything new at the "Printing HOWTO Support Database"
http://gatekeeper.picante.com/~gtaylor/pht/printer_list.cgi

UPDATE Ghostscript to Ver. 5.50:
http://rpmfind.net/linux/RPM/SuSE_Linux_6.0_(i386).html
or if you want source:
http://www.cs.wisc.edu/~ghost/index.html

DOWNLOAD "epson740.tgz" from link at:
http://lcewww.et.tudelft.nl/~haver/linux/epson.html
and extract:
        README
        ps-to-printer.fpi
        printerdb

        stc740p.upp
        stc740ih.upp
        stc740pl.upp

MOVE the 3 .upp files to /usr/share/ghostscript/5.50/
Delete the rest,they're specific to Redhat

TAKE A BREAK : ) and feel good about Epson and Linux by READing:
http://eunuchs.org/epson/index.html

EDIT FILES
cd /var/lib/apsfilter/
edit "resolutions" by adding:
stc740pl.upp  360x360
stc740p.upp   720x720
stc740ih.upp  1440x720

cd /var/lib/apsfilter/doc/
edit "printer.menu" by adding:
stc740ih.upp  Epson Stylus Color 740, 1440x720DPI, Inkjet Paper
stc740p.upp   Epson Stylus Color 740, 720x720DPI,  Plain Paper
stc740pl.upp  Epson Stylus Color 740, 360x360DPI,  Plain Paper

edit "printer" by adding:
stc740ih.upp  Epson Stylus Color 740, 1440x720DPI, Inkjet Paper
stc740p.upp   Epson Stylus Color 740, 720x720DPI,  Plain Paper
stc740pl.upp  Epson Stylus Color 740, 360x360DPI,  Plain Paper

CONFIGURE PRINTER
cd /usr/lib/apsfilter/  and begin the configuration, adding each of the
3
drivers.
./SETUP

Send a thank-you to:DEPontius at usa.net he figured out the Ghostscript
files.
I don't gaurantee anything, but did the edits.
justanothernewbietryintodogood.
Good Luck

Quote:> Hi,

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/

Driver for Epson Stylus Color 740

Post by Chris Aike » Tue, 22 Jun 1999 04:00:00

Yes, I have mine up and running.  Use "YAST" to install your
printer. Choose "other printers" and choose "stcolor".

Because of some electronics quirk, you might have to power
down your printer, wait a few minutes, and powerd back up
(after your YAST printer install).-

This works for me .

...cwa

> Hi,

> I want my Epson Stylus Color 740 to print on my Linux machine (SuSE 6.1,
> kernel 2.2.5) but it doesnt like to. I tried stc800??.upp, stc600??.upp
> and stc500??.upp but without success.

> Is there anybody who has such a printer successfully working on Linux? I
> need a little bit help...
> --

> Ciao,
> --Falk

Driver for Epson Stylus Color 740

Post by Falk Brettschneide » Tue, 22 Jun 1999 04:00:00

Hi,

thanks for your help. Its all very complicated.

> Send a thank-you to:DEPontius at usa.net he figured out the Ghostscript

Unfortunatelly I cant because I still doesnt work. I did all the steps
you wrote about and also Ive got 4 printers now:
stc740p.upp-ascii
stc740p.upp
stc740p.upp-mono
stc740p.upp-raw

I tried:
        lpr -Pstc740p.upp-ascii /etc/hosts
and from xv:
        lpr -Pstc740p.upp

but for both of the calls I get this (when I check with lpc status):
        stc740p.upp-ascii:
                queuing is enabled
                printing is enabled
                1 entry in spool area
                waiting for stc740p.upp-ascii to become ready (offline?)
        stc740p.upp:
                queuing is enabled
                printing is enabled
                1 entry in spool area
                waiting for stc740p.upp to become ready (offline?)

The printer says nothing. No reaction. Only the green power LED is on.
Paper is also filled in.

Do youve got any idea?

PS: Ive installed on SuSE 6.1 Kernel 2.2.5 this:
Ghostscript 5.50-3 (libc5)
apsfilter 1.5.SuSE-20

--

Ciao,
--Falk

Driver for Epson Stylus Color 740

Post by jbr.. » Wed, 23 Jun 1999 04:00:00

This may be a duplicate post but. . .
WE HAVE IDENTICAL KERNAL, GHOASTSCRIPT & APSFILTER.
I ran your command
        lpr -Pstc740p.upp-ascii /etc/hosts
And it worked fine.
I'm guessing maybe you didn't change In /etc/printcap
        the device /dev/lp1 to /dev/lp0.

Check the Suse Support Database for the printer check list.

Also you still need to load stc740ih.upp and stc740pl.upp for the high
resolution stuff.
Hang in there, I worked about a month on this : )
You will get it!

Post by Falk Brettschneide » Wed, 23 Jun 1999 04:00:00

> I'm guessing maybe you didn't change In /etc/printcap
>         the device /dev/lp1 to /dev/lp0.

Yep, but the problem is /dev/lp0 is used by my fine-working laser
printer. The Epson printer is really plugged in /dev/lp1. Thats why I
guess I have to use this device. What do you think about it?

Quote:

> Check the Suse Support Database for the printer check list.

They dont write about a suitable printer driver. :-(
Quote:

> Also you still need to load stc740ih.upp and stc740pl.upp for the high
> resolution stuff.

Yep. I copied them to /usr/share/ghostscript/5.50.

Quote:> Hang in there, I worked about a month on this : )
> You will get it!

Thanks. Unfortunatelly Ive been scarcely working on this for 2 days...

Quote:

> >               waiting for stc740p.upp-ascii to become ready (offline?)

Why doesnt that printer become ready?

--

Ciao,
--Falk

Driver for Epson Stylus Color 740

Post by Falk Brettschneide » Wed, 23 Jun 1999 04:00:00

Hi,

> > I'm guessing maybe you didn't change In /etc/printcap
> >         the device /dev/lp1 to /dev/lp0.
> Yep, but the problem is /dev/lp0 is used by my fine-working laser
> printer. The Epson printer is really plugged in /dev/lp1. Thats why I
> guess I have to use this device. What do you think about it?

Hey, Ive found what was wrong!!!
As I said:  cat /etc/hosts > /dev/lp1
I got an error message that the device is not installed.
And really: I forgot to load the 2. parallel device driver.

I fixed that and now everything works fine on Linux.

Thanks!!!

But the NEXT PROBLEM:
I want to make my Epson printer available for all the WindowsNT4.0
workstations in the LAN. Using SAMBA this is in most of all cases no
problem. But it is with the Epson Stylus Color 740.
That Epson is visible in the Windows' network neighborhood and I can
install it as network printer using the appropriate driver-CD. But
whenever I want to print anything, I only get an error message box:
"Cannot print. Wrong parameter!".
I dont have a clue what that parameter could be. :-(.
I tried to install the Epson Color ESC/2 printer driver and that works
fine (means: I can print well) but this driver only provides 360dpi
resolution. Thats why it doesnt satisfy me.

Do anyone have similar problems?

--

Ciao,
--Falk

Driver for Epson Stylus Color 740

Post by Falk Brettschneide » Wed, 23 Jun 1999 04:00:00

> But the NEXT PROBLEM:
> I want to make my Epson printer available for all the WindowsNT4.0
> workstations in the LAN. Using SAMBA this is in most of all cases no
> problem. But it is with the Epson Stylus Color 740.
> That Epson is visible in the Windows' network neighborhood and I can
> install it as network printer using the appropriate driver-CD. But
> whenever I want to print anything, I only get an error message box:
> "Cannot print. Wrong parameter!".

!!!All right now!!!
I tried it new with the latest WindowsNT4.0 printer driver from the
Epson homepage and now everything works super! I can print on my Epson
Stylus Color 740 from SuSE Linux 6.1 and from the SAMBA-connected
NT-workstations!

Thanks to all which helped!

--

Ciao,