Help on ethernet

Post by Ron Foerc » Mon, 14 Oct 1996 04:00:00

I'm trying to network a sparc IPX and linux PC box using
BNC ethernet... to no avail.  The PC ethernet card is a kingston
KNE2021LC card supposidly compatible with the novel NE2000.
it's also pre-set to irq 3 which is probably the problem... i'm
having some troubble finding what exactally is in this machine..
i had a modem but pulled it because there was the irq conflict.. and
i disables all the com things in the bios setup...

after installing the driver for the ethernet into my kernel
(2.0.20) I get the message

   NE*000 ethernet probe at 0x300: 00 c0 f0 1a 33 af
   eth0: NE2000 found at 0x300, using IRQ 3.

afterwards... i've added ifconfig things to the rc.inet1
etc...  doing ifconfig eth0 gives an interesting seg fault...
don't know what to do here... how can i check my connections?
how can i check my configurations as far as irq conflicts?
anyone having similar trouble?

Thanks very much in advance

Ron Foerch

Help on ethernet

Post by Eric Chan » Wed, 16 Oct 1996 04:00:00

>after installing the driver for the ethernet into my kernel
>(2.0.20) I get the message

>   NE*000 ethernet probe at 0x300: 00 c0 f0 1a 33 af
>   eth0: NE2000 found at 0x300, using IRQ 3.

>afterwards... i've added ifconfig things to the rc.inet1
>etc...  doing ifconfig eth0 gives an interesting seg fault...
>don't know what to do here... how can i check my connections?
>how can i check my configurations as far as irq conflicts?
>anyone having similar trouble?

Hi Ron.  Try tracing ifconfig to find out where the segmentation
fault is coming from.  Once the detection message comes up,
the card should be recognized.  It seems like something is going
wrong later, possibly an incompatible kernel version.

Eric

1. RH51, ETHERNET: IBM ISA Ethernet adapter help!

Here's the scoop:

I can't get this IBM ISA ethernet adapter to work with Red Hat 5.1.
When the network stuff is supposed to configure, I get a message

SIOCADDRT: invalid argument
Delaying eth0 initialization.

I know the card is good - I know there isn't an IBM ethernet adapter
driver that I can find.

Supposedly the card is NE2000 or EtherCard 16PLUS compatible, depending
on setup options.  I try both the NE driver for Linux, and WD driver,
both with and without specifying the I/O and IRQ (300h and 10,
respectively).  I've changed multiple settings on the card.

THe chip on the card appears to be a National Semiconductor, written on
it is 59524AX, Patented 1992, DP83905AVQB AT/LANTIC.

Any hints or clues that might get me any further?  Has anyone gotten
this card to run?  Where can I find SIOCADDRT, or at least what does it
mean?

Any help is greatly appreciated...

2. What is cc1plus?

3. Pls help: Ethernet and Ethernet card probs

4. REDHAT SECURITY

5. Ethernet PCMCIA Card installation - help.help.help

6. 3Com 3C523 Ethernet Card

7. HELP With Linksys Ethernet Card (I still need help)

8. Why is sendmail so nice?

9. HELP: Need help setting up Ethernet connection

10. OT: Are Cardbus Fast Ethernet cards REALLY FASTER than PCMCIA Fast Ethernet cards

11. Wireless ethernet in laptop to hard-wired ethernet network, is it possible?

12. Using Ethernet PCI Card instead of built in ethernet

13. AIX v4.2 10/100 Ethernet Driver or 10 Ethernet card