FAQ? 64 MB of 128 MB not seen in RHLinux.

FAQ? 64 MB of 128 MB not seen in RHLinux.

Post by Christer Olofsso » Tue, 23 Nov 1999 04:00:00

Hi all,

First of all I would like to know if there is a FAQ around here
somewhere? And second, I have 128 MB of memory in my computer but linux
will only see 64 MB of it. Windows NT sees all 128 MB so there is
nothing wrong with configuration i think.

plz help, I wanna rock Linux with my 128 MB of memory!

/Christer.

FAQ? 64 MB of 128 MB not seen in RHLinux.

Post by Leejay W » Tue, 23 Nov 1999 04:00:00

Excerpts from netnews.comp.os.linux.hardware: 22-Nov-99 FAQ? 64 MB of

Quote:> First of all I would like to know if there is a FAQ around here
> somewhere? And second, I have 128 MB of memory in my computer but linux

Try

http://www.linuxdoc.org

...FAQs, HOWTOs, ...

Quote:> will only see 64 MB of it. Windows NT sees all 128 MB so there is
> nothing wrong with configuration i think.

in /etc/lilo.conf, if you're using LILO:
   (top-level, not in any 'image=' or 'disk=' section)

   append = "mem=128M"

then re-run /sbin/lilo.  The above (append="blah") is a way to pass
parameters to the kernel.

Quote:> plz help, I wanna rock Linux with my 128 MB of memory!

--

|--------------------------| he writes really bad haiku |
|   #include <stddiscl.h>  | readers all go mad         |

FAQ? 64 MB of 128 MB not seen in RHLinux.

Post by David St.Clai » Tue, 23 Nov 1999 04:00:00

Add this line to your /etc/lilo.conf file

append="mem=128M"

That will fix it.

David St.Clair

> Hi all,

> First of all I would like to know if there is a FAQ around here
> somewhere? And second, I have 128 MB of memory in my computer but linux
> will only see 64 MB of it. Windows NT sees all 128 MB so there is
> nothing wrong with configuration i think.

> plz help, I wanna rock Linux with my 128 MB of memory!

> /Christer.

FAQ? 64 MB of 128 MB not seen in RHLinux.

Post by Jordi Mu?oz Mar » Thu, 25 Nov 1999 04:00:00

Hi.

I have the same problem as Christer has. My computer is an AMD Ahtlon based.
The motherboard is a GA-7IX, wich has the AMD 750 chipset. The question I ask
is why the kernel doens't detect the total amount of memory correctly? I'm
not sure if the problem it's the processor or the motherboard.

I'm running Red Hat Linux 6.0, but I have tried three kernels, 2.0.36, 2.2.5
and 2.2.12.

Regards,

  Jordi.

> Add this line to your /etc/lilo.conf file

> append="mem=128M"

> That will fix it.

> David St.Clair

> > Hi all,

> > First of all I would like to know if there is a FAQ around here
> > somewhere? And second, I have 128 MB of memory in my computer but linux
> > will only see 64 MB of it. Windows NT sees all 128 MB so there is
> > nothing wrong with configuration i think.

> > plz help, I wanna rock Linux with my 128 MB of memory!

> > /Christer.

FAQ? 64 MB of 128 MB not seen in RHLinux.

Quote:>I have the same problem as Christer has. My computer is an AMD Ahtlon

http://www.redhat.com/cgi-bin/support?solution&11-990500-0174&100-925...

--
Hal B

--
            Linux helps those who help themselves

FAQ? 64 MB of 128 MB not seen in RHLinux.

Post by b|AdErUnnE » Mon, 29 Nov 1999 04:00:00

Just copensate with a swapfile. I set mine to 360mb due to the fact
that it only sees 64mb of my 128mb memory
On Wed, 24 Nov 1999 17:41:16 +0100, Jordi Mu?oz Mar