How to add a SATA HD

Post by Sam » Fri, 17 Dec 2004 08:39:07

I have searched on the internet but failed to find about how to add a
SATA HD step by step instruction.  Hope someone can help me here.  I
use Tyan thunder K8W  mother board which has Silicon Image 8114
SATA/RAID controller on board.  I have a intel scsi RAID controller
with a scsi drive to boot up my system.  My OS is Fedora Core 2, kernel
2.6.5-1.   I connect with a SATA drive and boot up system.   By the
way, my BIOS is set to "Enable" on on board SATA and "RAID" is the
option.   In Fedora, I can see Silicon Image 8114 as my RAID controller
in system tool "hardware browse"  but I can find my drive in either
/dev/sdb~e or /dev/hda_e.  /dev/sda is my scsi drive.  I have download
a beat driver from Silicon Image but it doesn't come with very clear
instruction.  I just neesd some data in SATA.  Hope you can help me
out.  thank you in advance.

How to add a SATA HD

Post by Abdullah Ramazanogl » Fri, 17 Dec 2004 09:19:39

begin  Sam dedi ki:

Quote:> I have searched on the internet but failed to find about how to add a
> SATA HD step by step instruction.  Hope someone can help me here.  I
> use Tyan thunder K8W  mother board which has Silicon Image 8114
> SATA/RAID controller on board.  I have a intel scsi RAID controller
> with a scsi drive to boot up my system.  My OS is Fedora Core 2, kernel
> 2.6.5-1.   I connect with a SATA drive and boot up system.   By the
> way, my BIOS is set to "Enable" on on board SATA and "RAID" is the
> option.   In Fedora, I can see Silicon Image 8114 as my RAID controller
> in system tool "hardware browse"  but I can find my drive in either
> /dev/sdb~e or /dev/hda_e.  /dev/sda is my scsi drive.  I have download
> a beat driver from Silicon Image but it doesn't come with very clear
> instruction.  I just neesd some data in SATA.  Hope you can help me
> out.  thank you in advance.

Try disabling RAID feature of 3114 in BIOS and see dmesg output for
messages relevant to 3114 controller. Another possibility could be poor
3114 driver in your particular distro/version.

P.S: Tyan K8W, IIRC, is a dual CPU Athlon-64 mobo. I assume you'll use it
as a server. Are you really going to use Fedora on a dual Athlon-64 server?

--

Ramazanoglu     | myrealbox |
________________| D.0.T c?m |__

How to add a SATA HD

Post by Keith R. William » Wed, 05 Jan 2005 05:54:47

says...

Quote:> begin  Sam dedi ki:

> > I have searched on the internet but failed to find about how to add a
> > SATA HD step by step instruction.  Hope someone can help me here.  I
> > use Tyan thunder K8W  mother board which has Silicon Image 8114
> > SATA/RAID controller on board.  I have a intel scsi RAID controller
> > with a scsi drive to boot up my system.  My OS is Fedora Core 2, kernel
> > 2.6.5-1.   I connect with a SATA drive and boot up system.   By the
> > way, my BIOS is set to "Enable" on on board SATA and "RAID" is the
> > option.   In Fedora, I can see Silicon Image 8114 as my RAID controller
> > in system tool "hardware browse"  but I can find my drive in either
> > /dev/sdb~e or /dev/hda_e.  /dev/sda is my scsi drive.  I have download
> > a beat driver from Silicon Image but it doesn't come with very clear
> > instruction.  I just neesd some data in SATA.  Hope you can help me
> > out.  thank you in advance.

> Try disabling RAID feature of 3114 in BIOS and see dmesg output for
> messages relevant to 3114 controller. Another possibility could be poor
> 3114 driver in your particular distro/version.

Sorry for dropping in late (googling for this information and just ran
across this thread)

I have a similar problem with SuSE 9.1.  The SI9114 driver is there,
but it doesn't work.  Installations fail randomly.  If I install on a
pATA drive and just put <swap> and /home on the SATA drive it will hang
randomly during operation.  According to Tyan it's a known problem with
no fix from SI.  ...since July.  :-(

Any help would be appreciated.

Quote:> P.S: Tyan K8W, IIRC, is a dual CPU Athlon-64 mobo. I assume you'll use it
> as a server. Are you really going to use Fedora on a dual Athlon-64 server?

K8W is a dual Opteron board.  I have the K8WS, which is the same board
with one processor socket deleted.

--
  Keith

1. Adding PSVP hd=cyl,hd,sec param to lilo

As the subject sugests, I have an IBM PS Valuepoint and I am tired of have to
always say the following at the boot: prompt:

linux hd=1009,12,55 hd=685,16,38

I have two disks, one 320MB and one 210MB and the slackware distribution v1.0
on cd-rom (purchased from Walnut Creek if that is of any use.)

Basically, what I would like is to specify those parameters either in the
kernel or in the lilo header so I don't have to type them anymore.  I have not
been able to find specific directions in any of the docs and I hoped someone
out there could clue me in (as I am without!)

 my wife checks her mail more often than I can.

Thanks!

               Sometimes there just aren't enough rocks! - Forrest Gump

2. Linux Setup

3. Have IDE HD want to add SCSI HD

4. usb to serial

5. Installing RH8 directly to SATA HD

6. In the land full of despair ...

7. SATA HD & DMA ?

8. failed TCP/UDP checksum...

9. SATA HD Help

10. recover data from bad sata hd

11. Adding a SATA disk on a RH9 2.4.20-31.9 system

12. need to add sata HDD

13. Adding Promise SATA 150TX2Plus drivers to RedHat 8.0