HOW CAN I FORMAT DAT TAPES??

Post by david horne » Thu, 11 Mar 1999 04:00:00

I need to formatdat tapes . They are blank or mud.
How can I do it in linux 2.0.3?

HOW CAN I FORMAT DAT TAPES??

Post by Villy Kru » Fri, 12 Mar 1999 04:00:00

>I need to formatdat tapes . They are blank or mud.
>How can I do it in linux 2.0.3?

Used date tapes for several years and never knew that they needed
formatting.  They just worked.

Villy

HOW CAN I FORMAT DAT TAPES??

Post by Markus Wand » Fri, 12 Mar 1999 04:00:00

>>I need to formatdat tapes . They are blank or mud.
>>How can I do it in linux 2.0.3?

>Used date tapes for several years and never knew that they needed
>formatting.  They just worked.

Quote from an old Archive Python manual...

  When you insert a blank cassette in the Python drive for the first time,
  it will be automatically formatted.  The Python drive first detectes that
  the tape is blank (about 10-12 seconds).  It then formats the tape when it
  receives the first WRITE command that stores more than 126 kilobytes of
  data (total) or when it receives an ERASE command.  The formatting operation
  takes about 30 seconds.

  If the first WRITE command stores less than 126 kilobytes of data, the data
  is placed in the buffer until the next WRITE command exceeds the 126-kilobyte
  buffer capacity and forces the stored data to actually be written to tape.
  At the time the data is actually written to the tape, the Python drive
  formats the tape before completing the operation.

So in a nutshell, don't worry about it.

Markus

HOW CAN I FORMAT DAT TAPES??

Post by Tom Herma » Fri, 12 Mar 1999 04:00:00

I have never ever had to format a tape until I bought a
Travan tape drive (TR-3).  I messed up and did a format.
It ran for 18 hours!  The tapes came pre-formatted.
But last month, one tape lost some of it's format info
about 3/4 through the tape.  I had to re-format that tape.
Another 18 hours - but at least it saved a $20 tape.

I much prefer DAT tapes.  A DAT tape drive is going to be my
next tape drive purchase.

Tom
--

--
The views expressed are the author's and do not necessarily
reflect the official position of GTE or any of its subsidiaries