Help please: SCSI tape (/dev/nst0) I/O errors with tar

Help please: SCSI tape (/dev/nst0) I/O errors with tar

Post by Joe Mazzarell » Sat, 11 Jan 1997 04:00:00

After installing RedHat Linux and patching to kernel 2.0.27 with
SCSI support, I tried to write a tar file to a Sony DDS2 tape
drive. First I used 'mt' to verfiy the tape status:

#mt -f /dev/nst0 stat
File=0 block=0 partition=0
Tape block size 512 bytes.
Density code 0x13 (DDS 61000 bpi)
Soft error count since last status=0
General status bits on (4101000)
BOT ONLINE IM REP_EN (There may be a typo in here; sorry.).

So apparently the driver detects the hardware and tape.
But when I try tar I get the following error:

#tar cvf /dev/nst0 *
Cannot write to /dev/nst0: I/O error.

I am sure the tape is not write-protected.

I also tried reading a tar tape made on another machine
(with tape block size 128) and got a similar error:

#tar xvfb /dev/nst0 128
This time I could hear the tape drive spinning, the green light
blinked, but after a few minutes it returned with:
Read error on /dev/nst0: I/O error

Another 'mt stat' call showed it was at the end of file 0,
but no data had been copied to disk.

I can find no hints in the "Running Linux" book or HOWTOs
how to diagnose and fix this problem.
Any hints you can offer would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

-Joe