VLB EIDE card recommendations

Post by Bruce Guent » Sat, 05 Aug 1995 04:00:00

Greetings.

I want to buy myself a VLB EIDE multi I/O card, and would like a
recommendation or two on which ones will work best with Linux.  My
needs are:
        - 2 EIDE ports to support 4 drives/devices
        - FDD port
        - 2 16550-compatible serial ports
        - parallel port
        - EIDE means supports PIO mode 3 or better (I don't yet have
          any mode 4 drives, so...)

Any ideas?  Thanks.  Also, does anybody have any figures on how much
potential and real speed improvements with so-called enhanced modes
(either using a VLB card, or PIO mode 3 or 4)?
--

Disclaimer: The opinions expressed are not necessarily those of my employer.
"Microsoft is not the answer, Microsoft is the question.  NO is the answer."

Post by roo » Sun, 06 Aug 1995 04:00:00

: Greetings.

: I want to buy myself a VLB EIDE multi I/O card, and would like a
: recommendation or two on which ones will work best with Linux.  My
: needs are:
:       - 2 EIDE ports to support 4 drives/devices
:       - FDD port
:       - 2 16550-compatible serial ports
:       - parallel port
:       - EIDE means supports PIO mode 3 or better (I don't yet have
:         any mode 4 drives, so...)
     Don't buy CMD card.  They release programming specs non-disclosure.
Therefore, it does do PIO 3 or maybe 4, but only in DOS and 'Doze where they
provide drivers.. not for real OS's; they feel the hardware is such hot shit
they don't want people to even be able to program drivers for it.
: Any ideas?  Thanks.  Also, does anybody have any figures on how much
: potential and real speed improvements with so-called enhanced modes
: (either using a VLB card, or PIO mode 3 or 4)?
     I have no idea... The PIO driver for DOS on the Gateway caused
problems, i.e. no disk cache except SmartDrive would work.  SmartDrive
sucks; I got a bigger speed increase from just using a real disk cache and
standard transfer than PIO with DumbDrive..
     I can't test it in Linux; only runs as an IDE controller for it 8-(.

: --

: Disclaimer: The opinions expressed are not necessarily those of my employer.
: "Microsoft is not the answer, Microsoft is the question.  NO is the answer."

VLB EIDE card recommendations

Post by Steve Logu » Thu, 10 Aug 1995 04:00:00

Bruce,

I would like to know this information too!  My situation is a little different
though.  I have a 420 Mb HDD with both Linux, and Windows on it, so things are
getting a little cramped :(

I want to buy a board _just_ for the sake of being able to buy, and install a
new HDD - with at least PIO Mode 3, better yet PIO Mode 4 for a speed increase
plus breathing room...

So far I only know of one such board for VLB - a Promise 2300+.
There have got to be others though, please let me know, and I'll see if I can
dig up some Promise contact information...

-STEVER

1. soliciting recommendations for VLB EIDE controller

  I recently broke the Micronics motherboard in my Gateway 2000.  I
need a new one.  I've heard that the ASUS sv2dx4 with SiS chip set and
Award BIOS is a good VLB motherboard.  At $150 it seems an acceptable
choice.  I hope it runs DOOM without as many lockups.

  What I need now is a good IDE/Floppy/IO controller (the Micronics
had all this crap built-in).  I have an old Western Digital 325M as
master drive (which is probably straight IDE) for DOS and a Conner
CFA12__a which evidently has to be EIDE (since it's so huge) for
Linux.

  The ideal controller would:

+  Make the Conner haul ass under Linux while still supporting the WD.
+  Cope with a boring pair of floppy drives (1.44,1.2)
+  Have 16550a UARTS and handle 115K (otherwise I'll have to disable
one of the ports to use my high-speed serial card.  Actually, I may
have to disable the IO ports anyway since my IRQs are jam-packed).

  I've seen quite a few posts about the Promise 2300+ and how people
have problems with it or need BIOS upgrades.  At $70 it seems one of
the more expensive cards considering the hassle I might have to go
through.

  Another controller I've seen mentioned is the DTC 2278S (Digital
Technology).  This is considerably cheaper at $30.  Does it lack
something?

  Anyway, email your recommendations/experiences and I'll summarize if
I get anything meaty.  I'm off to harass sales reps and gather
technical faxes.
--
Eat now this hot-dog with ketchup, flesh of his flesh, blood of his blood.
Supercalafragalisticextrasacreligious

2. Q: Backups under FBSD using Zip disks

3. recommendations for VLB EIDE caching controller?

4. getty and inittab

5. VLB EIDE recommendations...

6. java for FreeBSD/alpha

7. VLB EIDE Controller Card with Enhanced BIOS

8. ftpd-directory permissions

9. Acculogic VLB EIDE card: Any luck?

10. Promise 2300 EIDE vlb card

11. ISA/VLB video card recommendations?

12. Good VLB Video card Recommendation

13. VLB IDE/floppy/2S/P card recommendation