IBM ThinkPad 720?

Post by justi.. » Sat, 10 Jun 2000 04:00:00

The Hardware howto said this thinkpad had the microchannel bus, and
that it wouldn't be supported.

the howto was dated 1997, does anyone know if the 720 is supported now?

Thanks,

Justin

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.

IBM ThinkPad 720?

Post by justinhay.. » Sat, 10 Jun 2000 04:00:00

That wasn't very clear,, I have:

An IBM Thinkpad 720 Type 9552-307( with a microchannel bus)
486 Processor
16 Mb Ram
2 pcmcia
    IBM Credit Card Adapter Token-Ring 16/4

The hardware HOWTO said that microchannel busses aren't supported, and
this laptop has one of those, so it won't work.  But the HOWTO was
dated 1997, so has this changed.

I'm going to search for in in the notes on the kernel.

Would appreciate any help at all

Thanks!,

Justin

> The Hardware howto said this thinkpad had the microchannel bus, and
> that it wouldn't be supported.

> the howto was dated 1997, does anyone know if the 720 is supported
now?

> Thanks,

> Justin

> Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
> Before you buy.

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.

IBM ThinkPad 720?

Post by Andrey Vlaso » Sat, 10 Jun 2000 04:00:00

HI there,

http://www.cs.utexas.edu/users/kharker/linux-laptop/
http://www.linuxdoc.org/HOWTO/Laptop-HOWTO.html   (Updated)

Andrey

> The Hardware howto said this thinkpad had the microchannel bus, and
> that it wouldn't be supported.

> the howto was dated 1997, does anyone know if the 720 is supported now?

> Thanks,

> Justin

> Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
> Before you buy.

1. IBM ThinkPad 720 Disk Geometry Problem

I'm attempting to install Linux on an IBM ThinkPad 720 (with 12 Mbyte
RAM and 161 Mbyte disk), using the slackware distribution.

As is well-documented in the installation instructions, the ThinkPad
systems do not store the drive geometry info in CMOS, so I am attempting
to enter this information by hand at the boot prompt.

I called technical support at PC Direct, and for my 161 Mbyte hard
disk, I was given the following specs:

             1575   Cylinders
                4   Heads
    48(ID)/72(OD)   Sectors/Track

              512   bytes / sector
                2   Number of disks
              1-1   Sector Interleave
              128   K Buffer

(Apparently the inner tracks have 48 sectors per track, whereas the
outer sectors have 72 sectors per track.)

When I specify the geometry information as:

      boot:  ramdisk hd=cylinders,head,sectors

as required, which in this case appears to be:

      boot:  ramdisk hd=1575,4,48

then I get the following errors when the boot disk attempts to
check the partition information:

       Partition check:

       HD controller times out, status = 0xd0
       HD-controller still busy
       HD-controller reset failed: ff
       HD controller times out, status = 0xd0
       HD-controller still busy
       HD-controller reset failed: ff
       HD controller times out, status = 0xd0
       HD-controller still busy
       HD-controller reset failed: ff
       etc....

I've also tried specifying other sector/track values, including 72, and
the average of 60, but the same errors occur.  I.e., I've tried:

      boot:  ramdisk hd=1575,4,72
      boot:  ramdisk hd=1575,4,60

Has anyone managed to install Linux in the ThinkPad 720 with this disk
and controller?   How did you specify the disk geometry?

Thanks for any help...
Regards,

   Applied Math 217-50                  Phone:  (818) 395-4549
   Caltech, Pasadena, CA 91125          FAX:    (818) 683-3549

2. Performance optimization solaris 8 and Apache

3. ThinkPad 720 IBM Harddisk information?

4. Finding ROM rev in multiuser runlevel

5. Linux on a Thinkpad 720 - 160MB disk, How?

6. Dell Latitude CPi keyboard problems since 2.5.42

7. linux on Thinkpad 720

8. Obscure X windows Setup Problem

9. boot/root disks not finding hard drive on Thinkpad 720

10. HP-720 vs IBM-320 vs Sparc2

11. IBM PC Server 720

12. IBM Server 720/Mylex Raid adapter

13. IBM 720/750 Laptops and Linux?