Crystal Semiconductor?

Post by John Ho » Wed, 25 Feb 1998 04:00:00

        Anyone knwo if their soundcard chipsets work under Linux?

Crystal Semiconductor?

Post by Hank » Wed, 25 Feb 1998 04:00:00

Yes they work, but I believe the only chip i've seen supported in the
kernel
is cs4232. Before anyone gets carried away though, let me say that I
have
a cs4236 and was able to configure it to work with the kernel.

There is a company that has support for cs other chips. It's called OSS.

here's the url:

http://www.4front-tech.com/oss.html

I have been told that the cs4236b chip is pin compatible with the
cs4236.
Also the chips are completely different ( I believe the b is full
duplex, and many
other features).  My plan is to try and get the b chip and see if I can
put it on the
moboard in place of the 4236.

good luck, hank

Post by Owen Lloy » Wed, 25 Feb 1998 04:00:00

>         Anyone knwo if their soundcard chipsets work under Linux?

`

Yep.  I'm using one now (CS4231 chipset) with OSS Free 3.8.  Configured
with pnptools and appears as either a SB/pro or mss card.  I drive it as
an MSS card as the SB/pro is 8 bit only.

It plays CD's, midi (through on board crude OPL-3 FM synth) and audio
files.

I have yet to get it to play mpegs and real audio properly though - it
just plays the samples in the file over and over one at a time!

Not bad for 10 UKP (15$ approx).

Owen
On a clear disk you can seek() forever........