Q: Jumper settings on Diam.Sup.Exp. 56i v.90?

Q: Jumper settings on Diam.Sup.Exp. 56i v.90?

Post by Wrait » Mon, 03 Apr 2000 05:00:00

Hello to all!

My question involves proper configuration of the jumpers (if any) on a
Diamond Supra Express 56i (internal ISA) modem.  I've looked at a couple of
the modem-compatibility sites, and while this modem is not specifically
listed, there are other similar Supras listed there.  Hence I assume it
should work.  I also ran a search & found a chat-board post from an
individual regarding his use of this same modem----he has not responded to
an email query, so no luck there.

The problem is this---there are 7 jumpers on the board (A0 - A6) but no
clear labeling of their function.  The modem is PnP under Win9x, showing up
as COM3: IRQ5  address 3E8.  However, all attempts to address it as ..S2 or
S02 under Linux fail.

Linux is correctly seeing the onboard COM1: COM2: ports, so I think the
Linux configuration is not at fault.

My question is: Does anyone have a listing or know the URL for a list of
these jumper assignments?  I'd like to manually configure the modem--I
suspect it's not responding because there isn't a specific IRQ/address being
reported.  The info I'm seeking doesn't appear to be on the CD with the
modem drivers, and I found diddly-squat on the Diamond site.

Oh, not that it should matter, but my system specs are:
Mandrake/RedHat 7.0

96Mb Ram
SB -Live
Voodoo 3 PCI
-the afore-mentioned Supra Express 56i v.90sp ISA modem

Everything else is working great (except my HP 820cxi printer--need to
install the ppa-ps conversion).  Any and all suggestions are welcome.  If
there is something more obvious that I'm overlooking, please feel free to
respond/flame.  It just kills me that I have to reboot to Win9x to
email/surf/etc.

Many thanks in advance,
-S

Q: Jumper settings on Diam.Sup.Exp. 56i v.90?

Post by Wrait » Mon, 03 Apr 2000 05:00:00

Please note:  my reply-to is anti-spammed!  Post a response or you'll have
to manually edit out the 'munged.crap.' portion to email.

-S

1. Diamond SupraExpress 56i v.90

Has anyone had success using a Diamond SupraExpress 56i v.90 with
Linux?  I can dial into my ISP through minicom and log in manually,
starting the PPP session but I can't seem to get my pppd to connect
properly.  I suspect my PPP setup is not right (they use CHAP
authentication, which complicates things) but I had heard some time ago
that some SupraExpress modems used shared memory for buffering data,
causing it to be incompatible with Linux.  Is this true or am I barking
up the wrong tree?

Thanks for your time,
Roy Grimm

2. New CD-ROM drive

3. Supra 56i Sp V.90

4. Strange physical hard disk failures

5. Diamond Supra PCI 56i V.90 - winmodem?

6. Solaris 2.5 Lockup -- What was the resolution?

7. PPC @ 90 MHz vs Pentium @ 90 MHz

8. booting a diskless sun

9. Zenon P5-90 Compatibility and some Floating Point Benchmarks on P5-90.

10. V.90 modem, no V.90 speed

11. To sup or not to sup?

12. Setting up a V.90 K56Flex HSP PCI Modem with Linux

13. Dell P-90 S3 864 mode settings in X for 16 bpp