Wide SCSI controllers don't act wide with LINUX?

Wide SCSI controllers don't act wide with LINUX?

Post by Steven W. Pontsle » Thu, 08 May 1997 04:00:00

I reading one of the faqs (probably SCSI) I understood it to say that there
weren't any wide SCSI controllers that had drivers for Linux that would use
the wide.  Meaning the controllers would work fine but only have the
performance of narrow SCSI.  I grabbed a copy of sunsite thinking I may
have an old copy, but it said the same.  Am I mis-understanding what it is
saying or is this really the case...
Steve

Post by Matt Kirsc » Thu, 08 May 1997 04:00:00

> I reading one of the faqs (probably SCSI) I understood it to say that there
> weren't any wide SCSI controllers that had drivers for Linux that would use
> the wide.  Meaning the controllers would work fine but only have the
> performance of narrow SCSI.  I grabbed a copy of sunsite thinking I may
> have an old copy, but it said the same.  Am I mis-understanding what it is
> saying or is this really the case...

I don't know about that. I was just looking at the aic7xxx code, and it
looks to me like wide SCSI is supported there.

--
Mathew E. Kirsch, CLSE (Certifiable Linux Systems Engineer)
*Opinions expressed herein do not reflect those of my employer.

"If you don't have time to read the FAQ, I don't have time to read it to
you."

Post by Michael Neuff » Fri, 09 May 1997 04:00:00

: I reading one of the faqs (probably SCSI) I understood it to say that there
: weren't any wide SCSI controllers that had drivers for Linux that would use
: the wide.  Meaning the controllers would work fine but only have the
: performance of narrow SCSI.  I grabbed a copy of sunsite thinking I may
: have an old copy, but it said the same.  Am I mis-understanding what it is
: saying or is this really the case...

The documentation that you are reading is outdated.

Linux has been supporting wide SCSI for, hmmmm.... 2 years or more now.
Since I changed the code in the mid and highlevel SCSI code, more and
more lowlevel drivers started supporting it. Today more or less all
wide versions of supported cards should be working as expected.

Mike

Wide SCSI controllers don't act wide with LINUX?

Post by James Youngm » Fri, 09 May 1997 04:00:00

says...

Quote:

>I reading one of the faqs (probably SCSI) I understood it to say that there
>weren't any wide SCSI controllers that had drivers for Linux that would use
>the wide.  Meaning the controllers would work fine but only have the
>performance of narrow SCSI.  I grabbed a copy of sunsite thinking I may
>have an old copy, but it said the same.  Am I mis-understanding what it is
>saying or is this really the case...

When the transfer rate is negotiated, it's negotiated in transfers per second
and this is what is announced.   However, the same figure for Wide SCSI really
represents twice the bandwidth for Wide SCSI, since each transfer transfers
twice as much; however the same figure is shown.   This is sometimes a cause of
confusion.

--
James Youngman       VG Gas Analysis Systems  The trouble with the rat-race
Before sending advertising material, read     is, even if you win, you're