a GREAT problem with SCSI :((

Post by Claudio P » Sun, 26 Sep 1999 04:00:00

My system (Linux Red-Hat 6.0)can' t detect the ADAPTEC 2904 AD
controller SCSI . So that I can' t use my new YAMAHA 4X4X16 .
I read SCSI HOWTO and SCSI-Programming-HOWTO but wihtout resolving my
problem .
I' m sorry I' m newbie, but can you help me ?

--

    .--.          Per Linux Hip-Hip ....
   |o_o |
   |:_/ |        Claudio alias Flash :-)
  //   \ \
 (|     | )      #ICQ : 40056223
/'\_   _/`\
\___)=(___/

a GREAT problem with SCSI :((

Post by Gerald Willman » Sun, 26 Sep 1999 04:00:00

> My system (Linux Red-Hat 6.0)can' t detect the ADAPTEC 2904 AD
> controller SCSI . So that I can' t use my new YAMAHA 4X4X16 .
> I read SCSI HOWTO and SCSI-Programming-HOWTO but wihtout resolving my
> problem .
> I' m sorry I' m newbie, but can you help me ?

dunno adaptec 2904 AD - is it supported according to the compatibility
list. If yes, have you tried loading the appropriate module and what does
it say. On the hardware side, do you get anything from it when you boot,
have you checked for IRQ conflicts.
                                            Gerald
--

a GREAT problem with SCSI :((

Post by Claudio P » Sun, 26 Sep 1999 04:00:00

Quote:

> dunno adaptec 2904 AD - is it supported according to the compatibility
> list. If yes, have you tried loading the appropriate module and what does
> it say. On the hardware side, do you get anything from it when you boot,
> have you checked for IRQ conflicts.
>                                             Gerald
> --

Where to download this module ?
How to check for IRQ conflicts ?

--

    .--.          Per Linux Hip-Hip ....
   |o_o |
   |:_/ |        Claudio alias Flash :-)
  //   \ \
 (|     | )      #ICQ : 40056223
/'\_   _/`\
\___)=(___/

1. Talk refused to talk:(:(:(:(

Hello there people:)...
  I had linux kernel 1.2.8 installed in my system. I have a SLIP/PPP
connection using either dip (for SLIP) or pppd/chat (for PPP).
  Now, Most of my network stuff are working fine without any problem at all
except talk. Talk works fine for local chatting. No problem at all. The
problem is when ever I call out to other machine (using the SLIP/PPP line),
nothing has ever happen. It got as far as Checking invitation stuff. Never
more.
  Just out of curiosity I ran netstate to check the udp connection whenever
I have talk running. Running locally (talk that is) I got output as follow:

Active Internet connections
Proto Recv-Q Send-Q Local Address          Foreign Address        (State)
User
udp        0      0 lucifer.newpaltz.:1328 *:*

Which I presumed opened by talk (only one here because the other side hadn't
responded to the call yet).  I also get the same thing whenever I call
someone outside my system to talk. Of course, it never got to the other
system (I was waiting on the other system using telnet for the talk request,
never got there. And I had made sure that mesg was y).

Now when I call *IN* from other system (telnet to another system and run
talk over there to my system), I have (on my system) output as follow:

Active Internet connections
Proto Recv-Q Send-Q Local Address          Foreign Address        (State)
User

And also from netstat -a, I could find talk/ntalk were still listening.
Seems to me the call from outside didn't get through.

Now, since I haven't done anything to configure talk specifically, is there
anything I have to do to make this connection possible. Since I can't talk
to outside nor can I receive talk request from other hosts, I'm under the
assumption that my talk program somehow is not configured properly.

Any configuration file I have to check?
man, faq, howto, etc to refer to this kind of error?
May be replace my talk/ntalk/talkd/ntalkd with something else and where to
find it/them?
Does it depend on something in the kernel that I have to enable during the
compile time?
Wrong version altogether with the kernel?
Is it possible that talk needs long time to make the connection? (None of my
other stuff that I know of behave like this).
May be my inetd is broken?
If so, how do I check for it?
And where to find the latest version of it?

And while I'm at it, what's the latest version of talk?
Where to find it?
Is there a better chatting program that's backward compatible with talk?
Meaning that the program has more features than talk but at the same time
can be used to communicate with other regular talk program whenever the
program is not available on the other host.

--
Send comment and reply to:

2. SSC Samba Book

3. my trashed hard drive. :( :( :(

4. Caldera eServer POP setup?

5. PCMCIA, SCSI, Chicken-and-egg problem :(

6. Whitelisting a host with iptables

7. NCR SCSI card w/53c810 [problems :(

8. cpu_stat (Solaris)

9. SOUNDBLASTER 4X CD-ROM WORKS GREAT, BUT SOUNDCARD...NOT GREAT

10. GREAT JOBS-GREAT PAY" WVT"

11. Great Health Products at Great Prices!!!!

12. *Great Service, All prices, Great Uptime For Bnc, Eggdrop, IRCd, Game & Web Hosting **

13. inetd dies :(:(