Serious question concerning SCSI...

Post by Leonard N. Zubkof » Wed, 28 Aug 1996 04:00:00

  I have a BusLogic 948 SCSI controller and an IBM HD...  I created a set of
  installation disks as follows:
          boot: scsi
          root: color

  durring all of the init stuff, it says SCSI hosts: 0...   and when I go to
  run fdisk and setup a Linux native ana swap, it cones back and says:
          unable to open /dev/sda

  Help, I'm confused???  If anyone can help, I would appriciate it...

From the README.BusLogic available at http://www.dandelion.com/Linux and in
the latest Linux kernels:

                      BT-948/958/958D INSTALLATION NOTES

The BT-948/958/958D PCI Ultra SCSI Host Adapters have some features which may
require attention in some circumstances when installing Linux.

o PCI I/O Port Assignments

  When configured to factory default settings, the BT-948/958/958D will only
  recognize the PCI I/O port assignments made by the motherboard's PCI BIOS.
  The BT-948/958/958D will not respond to any of the ISA compatible I/O ports
  that previous BusLogic SCSI Host Adapters respond to.  This driver supports
  the PCI I/O port assignments, so this is the preferred configuration.
  However, if the obsolete BusLogic driver must be used for any reason, such as
  a Linux distribution that does not yet use this driver in its boot kernel,
  BusLogic has provided an AutoSCSI configuration option to enable a legacy ISA
  compatible I/O port.

  To enable this backward compatibility option, invoke the AutoSCSI utility via
  Ctrl-B at system startup and select "Adapter Configuration", "View/Modify
  Configuration", and then change the "ISA Compatible Port" setting from
  "Disable" to "Primary" or "Alternate".  Once this driver has been installed,
  the "ISA Compatible Port" option should be set back to "Disable" to avoid
  possible future I/O port conflicts.  The older BT-946C/956C/956CD also have
  this configuration option, but the factory default setting is "Primary".

Post by Dave DeMaag » Thu, 29 Aug 1996 04:00:00

I have a BusLogic 948 SCSI controller and an IBM HD...  I created a set of
installation disks as follows:
        boot:   scsi
        root:   color

durring all of the init stuff, it says SCSI hosts: 0...   and when I go to
run fdisk and setup a Linux native ana swap, it cones back and says:
        unable to open /dev/sda

Help, I'm confused???  If anyone can help, I would appriciate it...

Dave DeMaagd

1. SERIOUS CONCERNS ABOUT TAR

[snip]

Howdy Dan,
You might find using cpio in pass through mode (-p) a better
alternative. Do a man cpio for the  correct options There was a good
Linux Jounal article on using cpio (check out the Linux Journal site for
previous issues?). If you are not a subscriber I will give them a
plug--great mag.
Good Luck,
Rob