AGP boards which work with SVGATextMode?

AGP boards which work with SVGATextMode?

Post by Alan Mackenzi » Sat, 14 Oct 2000 04:00:00

Hi everybody,

It's time for me to get a new computer rather than upgrading, yet again,
my trusty old (1994) box.

However, I don't want to let go of the decent text screens which
SVGATextMode enables - I _hate_ graphic window systems for text work.

So: can anybody recommend any modern AGP graphics boards which are
supported by SVGATextMode?

Many thanks in advance.

--
Alan Mackenzie (Munich, Germany)

(like "aa"), remove one of them (leaving, say, "a").

Post by Dances With Cro » Sat, 14 Oct 2000 04:00:00

>However, I don't want to let go of the decent text screens which
>SVGATextMode enables - I _hate_ graphic window systems for text work.
>So: can anybody recommend any modern AGP graphics boards which are
>supported by SVGATextMode?

SVGATextmode has not been maintained for a long time, and doesn't seem
to work very well on modern systems.  Put framebuffer support into your
kernel, or boot with "vga=ask" and you can most likely get text modes
from 80x25 to 132x50 with few problems.  Only problem is that switching
the video mode is impossible without rebooting, but that's what we have
X for ;-)  Besides, having more than one xterm open on the same screen
is often *VERY* useful, and beats Alt-F?ing between consoles in most
cases....

Brainbench MVP for Linux Admin /  Workin' in a code mine, hittin' Ctrl-Alt
http://www.brainbench.com     /   Workin' in a code mine, whoops!
-----------------------------/    I hit a seg fault....

Post by Alan Mackenzi » Sun, 15 Oct 2000 04:00:00

>>However, I don't want to let go of the decent text screens which
>>SVGATextMode enables - I _hate_ graphic window systems for text work.
>>So: can anybody recommend any modern AGP graphics boards which are
>>supported by SVGATextMode?
> SVGATextmode has not been maintained for a long time,

Yep, I kind of had that feeling :-(

Quote:> and doesn't seem to work very well on modern systems.

Maybe my PCI Matrox Millenium II will get transplanted into my new
system.

Quote:> Put framebuffer support into your kernel, or boot with "vga=ask" and
> you can most likely get text modes from 80x25 to 132x50 with few
> problems.

Could you possibly point me in the direction of some documentation which
says what a "framebuffer" _is_, and what it can _do_. (I've already
scanned /usr/src/linux/Documentation and found nothing helpful.)

Quote:> Only problem is that switching the video mode is impossible
> without rebooting, but that's what we have X for ;-)  Besides, having
> more than one xterm open on the same screen is often *VERY* useful, and
> beats Alt-F?ing between consoles in most cases....

Well, yes, perhaps. Maybe I'm not using the best window manager for what
I need (Fvwm2), but I just find X plain _awkward_.

How does one switch between xterms in X/Fvwm2, without having to reach
for the mouse? I dislike the mouse a lot, partly because it causes RSI in
the lower arm, but mainly because its use distracts my attention from
where on the screen I'm working to where I last happened to leave the
mouse pointer. Is there anything as convenient as <alt>-Fx?

When I'm reading Usenet articles (or creating posts), for example, I want
the article/editing area to fill the _whole_ screen. I don't seem to be
able to achieve this under X - I have to resize windows manually, and
often they spill inconveniently into a neighbouring virtual screen - and
the default fonts seem to be inferior in quality to what I get on a
console screen with setfont iso01.f16.

#ifdef RANT
I can't find sensible documentation on the X keyboard.  I've just read,
yet again, through pages of infuriating twaddle (which seems to have been
translated badly from Double Dutch via Ainu) about xmodmap which tells me
in ghoulish detail how to do wonderful things like switching the
<control> and <capslock> keys, but not how to make the keys to anything
_useful_.

I've got over 800 pages of stuff in the "X Window System User's Guide"
(note, _USER_'s guide, not X-hacker's guide) which goes on and on and on
about "the Syntax of Event Translations", "Precedence Rules for Resource
Specification" (without, by the way, actually _defining_ what a
"resource" is) and such like, but no examples of how to make a keyboard
do things like produce characters on a text screen. I mean, who in their
right mind would actually want to specify which keys on a keyboard
produce which letters?

Where, for god's sake, do I find a list of "functions" which can be
assigned to "keysyms"?  For example, how do I get <alt-gr><u> to produce
'', and <shift><alt-gr>u to produce ''?  Does that involve a second
program which lies over xmodmap? Do I have to do something different for
_each_ text program I use? Where is the X equivalent of loadkeys and
/etc/default.keytab which works so well on a text console with no more
than a great deal of effort?

Yee Gods.
#endif

Quote:> Matt G

--
Alan Mackenzie (Munich, Germany)

(like "aa"), remove one of them (leaving, say, "a").

1. new video boards and SVGATextMode or framebuffer?

Has anyone gotten any new modern (AGP class, or PCI variants of them)
video cards to work with SVGATextMode and/or the new framebuffer driver
under Linux 2.2.X?  I'm curious which BOARDS (not chipsets) actually
can be gotten to work.  I've you've gotten one to work, then I'd be
willing to go buy one of those to try it out.  Chipset info is totally
useless, so please don't waste your time saying "get a board with XXX
chipset".

--
Phil Howard           KA9WGN

2. 3C900 under LInux?

3. any patches to get SVGATextMode working with the Millenium II yet?

4. cpu times not correct

5. Voodoo 3: Anyone managed to get SVGATextMode Working with it

6. PD nfs for dos?

7. REPOST: SVGATextMode version 0.8: Will it work?

8. Distinguishing NETAPP from other NFS types

9. Has anyone gotten svgatextmode to work with a riva128?

10. Getting SVGATextMode to work with Nanao+ATI Graphics Pro Turbo

11. Problem with AGP ViRGE/GX2 board - unexpected lock ups

12. ASUS SP98AGP-X Board and AGP-Card under Linux?

13. Using Linux with Dual PIIs, AGP Video, Large Memory, Large HDs and On-Board SCSI