Compact Flash Reader?

Post by Chris Carle » Wed, 01 Oct 2003 01:46:47

Hi:

I need to get a CF card reader that works with Linux, preferrably.

I would like to get the Delkin one:

http://www.pricegrabber.com/search_getprod.php/masterid=427797/search...

But this one is known to be compatible with Linux:

http://www.sandisk.com/consumer/im.asp

Sandisk also has USB 2.0 ones:

http://www.sandisk.com/consumer/sng_usb2.asp

which they don't assert to be Linux compatible, but that doesn't mean
they won't work.

I had a Zio Smart media reader which worked with Linux for reading, but
I couldn't write to it.

Any recommendations?  A USB 2.0 would be nice, since I've got some large
CF cards now.

Thanks for input.

Christopher R. Carlen
Principal Laser/Optical Technologist
Sandia National Laboratories CA USA

Compact Flash Reader?

Post by Dave Carriga » Thu, 02 Oct 2003 00:39:26

> I need to get a CF card reader that works with Linux, preferrably.

Just about any low-end USB CF reader will work with linux. The cheaper
it is, the more likely it'll work with linux.

I use this one:

http://shop.store.yahoo.com/hippovariety/pqidicameusb.html

I don't know anything about USB 2.0, sorry.

--
Dave Carrigan
Seattle, WA, USA

UNIX-Apache-Perl-Linux-Firewalls-LDAP-C-C++-DNS-PalmOS-PostgreSQL-MySQL

Compact Flash Reader?

Post by Laurel Amberdin » Thu, 02 Oct 2003 11:43:02

> Hi:

> I need to get a CF card reader that works with Linux, preferrably.

<snip>

> Any recommendations?  A USB 2.0 would be nice, since I've got some large
> CF cards now.

I have used the SanDisk 6-in-1 reader under Linux.  It works perfectly
with the compact flash slot.  I haven't tried to use any of the others.
It is, I believe, USB 2.0.

--
- Laurel   *  *  *   http://amberdine.com

1. USB Compact Flash Reader, Help with setup

I am trying to get the compact flash card reader that came with my I-Jam
50 setup. It is a USB mass storage device, I'm running 4.2 Release #4. I
have the following devices in my kernel config :

device uchi
device usb
device ugen
device umass
device scbus
device da
device pass

The order above is the order in which the appear in the config file
(this makes a difference I thing).

I do make depend, make, make install, and reboot. The kernel does
correctly prode the device at boot time, I get :

usb0: <VIA 83C572 USB controller> on uhci0
usb0: USB revision 1.0
uhub0: VIA UHCI root hub, class 9/0, rev 1.00/1.00, addr 1
ugen0: SHUTTLE SCM Micro USBAT-02 , rev 1.00/0.05, addr 2
uhci1: <VIA 83C572 USB controller> port 0xd800-0xd81f irq 10 at device
4.3 on pc
i0SC[A
usb1: <VIA 83C572 USB controller> on uhci1
usb1: USB revision 1.0
uhub1: VIA UHCI root hub, class 9/0, rev 1.00/1.00, addr 1

camcontrol devlist -v give me:
scbus-1 on xpt0 bus 0:
<  >                               at scbus-1 target -1 lun -1 (xpt0)

camcontrol rescan 0 gives me :
camcontrol: CAMIOCOMMAND ioctl failed: Invalid argument

and when I try to mount I get
mount -t msdos /dev/da0 /mnt/flash
msdos: /dev/da0: Device not configured

I think part of the problem is that I do not have a SCSI adapter in the
system and the scsi code isn't getting activated, but I'm not sure. Does
anybody have a solution, or thought on what to try next?

Jason Denton

2. Loki is accepting investments after filing for bankruptcy

3. Error with PCMCIA compact flash reader

4. Printingproblem

5. USB Compact Flash Readers

6. 1.1.94 and CDU-31a CDROM

7. Looking for Compact flash reader that is known to work under FreeBSD

8. Crappy font handling

9. Compact flash readers

10. Zio Compact Flash Reader

11. Help mounting a USB Compact Flash Reader with 64MB card

12. Boot from USB compact flash reader...?

13. HELP: Anyone using Microtech ZiO! Compact Flash reader?