can't get past boot: prompt

Post by mark sulliv » Fri, 22 Nov 1996 04:00:00

I just bought Slackware96 and have created the boot and root diskettes
for installation.  I put in the boot diskette and restart the
computer.  "Welcome to Slackware96 3.1.0 bootkernel" is displayed and
some more information then a "boot:" prompt.  I hit enter (as
recommended) and wait.  The diskette spins for a while as periods are
displayed.  Then the diskette stops being read, but the access light
stays on.

System:

1.44 floppy
212 WD drive
540 WD drive
486/120 motherboard
Teac 55 cdrom using the Teac 16bit interface card

I've tried using the sbpcd.i and the sbpcd.s boot images.
I've tried using the bare.i image also.

Am I missing something so simple that I should be shot?

Thanks,  MS

1. can't get past boot: prompt

I just bought Slackware96 and have created the boot and root diskettes
for installation.  I put in the boot diskette and restart the
computer.  "Welcome to Slackware96 3.1.0 bootkernel" is displayed and
some more information then a "boot:" prompt.  I hit enter (as
recommended) and wait.  The diskette spins for a while as periods are
displayed.  Then the diskette stops being read, but the access light
stays on.

System:

1.44 floppy
212 WD drive
540 WD drive
486/120 motherboard
Teac 55 cdrom using the Teac 16bit interface card

I've tried using the sbpcd.i and the sbpcd.s boot images.
I've tried using the bare.i image also.

Am I missing something so simple that I should be shot?

Thanks,  MS

2. ultrix systems help

3. Getting the 'boot:' prompt

4. take unix off line

5. Kernel not getting past boot (can't open initial console)

6. 1000 columns file browser

7. Getting Past Password Prompt in Script

8. automatic login?

9. RH5.2 wont get past the initial boot prompt during installation

10. Linux won't boot past "INIT version 2.62 boot" message at bootup

11. Can't get past CM> prompt HPUX 11 9000/847

12. Help: Can't get past Select Prompting question

13. can't get past the login prompt