bttv and Closed Caption Decoding

Post by Brian La » Mon, 01 Nov 1999 03:00:00

  Does anyone know if there is any programs available to do closed caption
decoding with the WinTV cards and the bttv driver? I've tried out some of
the videotext programs, but they don't seem to be getting anything (I may
also be doing something completely wrong).

  Thanks,

  Brian

--
--------[Inside  71.72]-------[Outside 58.90F]-------[Drink 71.52F]---------

Linux Consulting & Web Hosting                        www.nexuscomputing.com
Web pages for $15/mo                               Domain hosting for $25/mo

No kingdom can be secured otherwise than by arming the people.  The possession
of arms is the distinction between a freeman and a slave.
        -- "Political Disquisitions", a British republican tract of 1774-1775

bttv and Closed Caption Decoding

Post by Saah » Mon, 01 Nov 1999 03:00:00

Videotext (aka teletext) is entirely different from closed captioning.
It is basically a system in Europe where tv watchers can read textual
pages on their tv by selecting page number. Pages are sent out in a
continous loop and when selecting a new page, user has to wait for
the loop to  "arrive". As far as closed captioning I cannot help you :(

>  Does anyone know if there is any programs available to do closed caption
>decoding with the WinTV cards and the bttv driver? I've tried out some of
>the videotext programs, but they don't seem to be getting anything (I may
>also be doing something completely wrong).

>  Thanks,

>  Brian

>--
>--------[Inside  71.72]-------[Outside 58.90F]-------[Drink 71.52F]---------

>Linux Consulting & Web Hosting                        www.nexuscomputing.com
>Web pages for $15/mo                               Domain hosting for $25/mo

>No kingdom can be secured otherwise than by arming the people.  The possession
>of arms is the distinction between a freeman and a slave.
>        -- "Political Disquisitions", a British republican tract of 1774-1775

--
Michal Sabala aka Saahbs
 Linux'er since 0.97 :)

1. Closed caption w/ bttv?

Hi,
I recently got bttv and xawtv working with a STB TV PCI card and kernel 2.2.7.
Now I am wondering if there is an application available that will display
closed caption text.  I have tried alevt, but I cannot get it to do anything
other than show the help pages - it seems designed for Teletext which I don't
think is used in the U.S.

I will gladly even write a simple CC reader myself if there is any info on
accessing /dev/vbi.

Thanks,
Nick

2. solbook, sgml and /usr/lib/sgml/sgml2roff

3. Closed captioning an option for xawtv?

4. increasing / on 2.4 x86?

5. Closed captioning source

6. no access to tty

7. URL decoding: decode user-supplied info

8. ppp.conf

9. Matrox Mystique ands X.

10. can I turn on the caption of mplayer while watching DVD?

11. Colour of icon captions

12. in Khtml - <caption>

13. Sol 2.3, can't change XtNfontColor of Caption widget