recommended hardware for dedicated MP3 player?

recommended hardware for dedicated MP3 player?

Post by Matt Garm » Tue, 10 Dec 2002 12:02:50

I would like to build a small Linux box strictly for playing MP3s.  I
would like to use my TV as the display for this box.  The sound output
will actually go to my stereo/receiver.  So the two most important
hardware recommendations I'm looking for are

    - quality sound card supported by Linux

    - video card with *TV output* supported by Linux

By "quality" sound card, I mean that I'd like to get something on the
higher-end of things (I realize I'm already taking a sound quality hit
by playing MP3s, but let's assume I'm using my computer as a CD, or
even DVD-audio player).  A sound card that had gold-plated digital
coaxial or optical output would be cool.

The video card doesn't have to be anything special, just so long as I
can use it with my TV.  I just want to be able to browse my MP3
collection, create and modify playlists, and control volume, etc.
Plain old text mode would suffice for this!  (Although
xmms+visualization plugins would be cool.  :)

Finally, I'd like to put this in a small case, since it's going to sit
in my living room.  Should I just buy a uATX (micro ATX) motherboard
and the smallest case I can find?  I obviously don't need much
processing power.

Thanks for any feedback/comments/suggestions!

Matt

Post by Vill » Tue, 10 Dec 2002 15:14:19

> I would like to build a small Linux box strictly for playing MP3s.  I
> would like to use my TV as the display for this box.  The sound output
> will actually go to my stereo/receiver.  So the two most important
> hardware recommendations I'm looking for are

VDR is a video disc recorder for linux. It can play mp3's also. It works
with DVB cards (digital tv). They have information about silent systems
so little googling around may help you finding a silent box. You DON'T
want a mp3 player with terrible backgroung noise.

If you live somewhere where digital tv is broadcasted maybe you'de like
extend your project a bit :)

Ville