6 CDROM changer (Panasonic) won't mount

Post by Mark Mor » Tue, 02 Jan 1996 04:00:00

I can't get my Panansonic 6 CDROM changer to mount any of the CDROM's.

Using: mount -t iso9660 -r /dev/scd0 /cdrom  either gets me a 'not a
mount point error' or if it does try to mount it my message file
produces this:

Dec 31 22:17:28 homegate kernel: Device not ready.  Make sure there is
a disc in the drive.
Dec 31 22:17:28 homegate kernel: VFS: Disk change detected on device
11/1
Dec 31 22:17:28 homegate kernel: fdomain: REQUEST SENSE Key = 2, Code
= 3a, Qualifier = 0
Dec 31 22:17:28 homegate last message repeated 3 times

And there is a disk in there.

[Posted & Emailed]

Mark Moran

Post by Bill McCarth » Tue, 02 Jan 1996 04:00:00

>I can't get my Panansonic 6 CDROM changer to mount any of the CDROM's.

>Using: mount -t iso9660 -r /dev/scd0 /cdrom  either gets me a 'not a
>mount point error' or if it does try to mount it my message file
>produces this:

>Dec 31 22:17:28 homegate kernel: Device not ready.  Make sure there is
>a disc in the drive.
>Dec 31 22:17:28 homegate kernel: VFS: Disk change detected on device
>11/1
>Dec 31 22:17:28 homegate kernel: fdomain: REQUEST SENSE Key = 2, Code
>= 3a, Qualifier = 0
>Dec 31 22:17:28 homegate last message repeated 3 times

>And there is a disk in there.

>[Posted & Emailed]

>Mark Moran

I'm not by any means %100 sure of this, but I think you need to have probe all
scsi luns compiled into your kernel. Also, you need to have /dev/scdX devices
for each tray on your changer. If I'm way off, I apologize - I remember seeing
something of this posted to this group a while ago. Maybe this will get you
started. Good luck
--
________________________
||     \/               |

|____|__________________|

6 CDROM changer (Panasonic) won't mount

Post by Marc A. Volov » Wed, 03 Jan 1996 04:00:00

Quote:>I can't get my Panansonic 6 CDROM changer to mount any of the CDROM's.
>Using: mount -t iso9660 -r /dev/scd0 /cdrom  either gets me a 'not a
>mount point error' or if it does try to mount it my message file
>produces this:

First, and as another poster has written, check that you have compiled
the kernel to scan all LUN's. Be careful about this, some old and less
old drives lock-up on a lun scan, so have an alternative kernel ready.

So, after you have compiled the kernel and rebooted the machine, check
during boot that you see SIX cdrom drives. Note, too, that (at least
in my case) the devices used for the drives are /dev/sr[0-5].

Then mount.

--
---MAV

                 Linguists do it cunningly

Post by Mark Mor » Thu, 04 Jan 1996 04:00:00

Quote:>>I can't get my Panansonic 6 CDROM changer to mount any of the CDROM's.

Thanks for the help.  Seems I hadn't created ALL the devices.  I only
had two to 'test it out'.  Once I created all six it worked!

[Posted & Emailed]

Mark Moran

1. Linux won't work with new Panasonic CDROM CR-503

Yesterday I took delivery of one of the first Matsushita/Panasonic
CR-503 SCSI CDROM drives in Australia. I had been running Linux
kernel 1.1.49 with an Adaptec 1510 SCSI card and an older Panasonic
CD-501 drive (successfully). When I replaced the old drive with the
new I found that Linux locks up the virtual console whenever I
access /dev/sr0 (ie: the CD drive). For example, doing

    cat /dev/cdrom >myfile

reads a few thousand bytes off the CD then locks the console, and
if I mount the CD as an ISO9660 filesystem then do a
"find" on it, it locks the console after reading a few filenames.

Strangely, the audio CD player "workbone" works perfectly, even down
to ejecting the CD!

Has anyone an idea of where to start? I'm not sure if the problem
is in the Adaptec driver or the ISO9660 filesystem.

Incidently, the CR-503 is SCSI-2, double speed, multi-session. Can
Linux cope with SCSI-2??

Thanks,
Mick.

2. Really basic

3. Panasonic 563x CD-ROM won't mount

4. Restores of rootvg

5. (1) Panasonic CR-563 not mounted, (2) X won't start

6. Apache Virtual Server

7. Panasonic big-5 cdrom changer - any luck?

8. STREAMS config 3.2v4.2

9. Panasonic/Matshita CD-ROM won't mount...

10. re (1) Panasonic CR-563 not mounted, (2) X won't start

11. Panasonic 563B CDROM (can't mount)

12. Linux from Nascent CD-ROM won't mount my panasonic cd-rom drive

13. HELP: Can't mount a Panasonic CDROM drive!