upgrade motherboard without reinstalling?

upgrade motherboard without reinstalling?

Post by samir hobei » Tue, 03 Jun 2003 00:16:21

hello
i buy an new motherboard and a new processor (athlon xp 2000+) for
remounting a complete pc with an new case... I would like to know , i
have an ide hdd with mandrake 9.1 inside with the modules of my old
motherboard and the old k6...
can i change the motherboard and the new processor and simply boot
with the same hdd with the same mandrake without format or reinstall
?? will mandrakes kudzu simply install new modules or do i need to
reinstall completely the system???
thank you
sam

upgrade motherboard without reinstalling?

Post by Dances With Crow » Tue, 03 Jun 2003 00:49:05

[ toplevel NG removed ]
On 1 Jun 2003 08:16:21 -0700, samir hobeica staggered into the Black Sun
and said:

Quote:> i buy an new motherboard and a new processor (athlon xp 2000+)
> have an ide hdd with mandrake 9.1 inside with the modules of my old
> motherboard and the old k6...
> can i change the motherboard and the new processor and simply boot
> with the same hdd with the same mandrake without format or reinstall

As long as you're using a stock distro kernel, it shouldn't be any
problem.  If you compiled a custom kernel, that custom kernel will
probably still boot, but your disks will be slow since when you compiled
that custom kernel, you put in only the IDE chipset support that your
old motherboard needed.  If you change your video card, you'll have to
reconfigure X.  That's it.

Brainbench MVP for Linux Admin /

upgrade motherboard without reinstalling?

Post by Leigh W3NL » Tue, 03 Jun 2003 03:21:02

Quote:>hello
>i buy an new motherboard and a new processor (athlon xp 2000+) for
>remounting a complete pc with an new case... I would like to know , i
>have an ide hdd with mandrake 9.1 inside with the modules of my old
>motherboard and the old k6...
>can i change the motherboard and the new processor and simply boot
>with the same hdd with the same mandrake without format or reinstall
>?? will mandrakes kudzu simply install new modules or do i need to
>reinstall completely the system???
>thank you
>sam

I did this with an ASUS A7V8X mobo, 1 GB of RAM and an Athlon xp 2000+
and it worked fine.  I'm running SuSE 8.2 pro.

Best,
Leigh Bassett
Software architect and embedded systems guru.
Registered Linux user #307936

Post by ANT.. » Tue, 03 Jun 2003 08:02:38

> hello
> i buy an new motherboard and a new processor (athlon xp 2000+) for
> remounting a complete pc with an new case... I would like to know , i
> have an ide hdd with mandrake 9.1 inside with the modules of my old
> motherboard and the old k6...
> can i change the motherboard and the new processor and simply boot
> with the same hdd with the same mandrake without format or reinstall
> ?? will mandrakes kudzu simply install new modules or do i need to
> reinstall completely the system???
> thank you
> sam

I did it from ASUS P3B-F (Intel P3 CPU) to ASUS A7V333 (AMD Athlon XP).
It took a while. Booted into Linux with old Kernel and had problems, but
I was able to do stuff. I had to download Kernel 2.4.20 source and
compile. Did more tweaks and Red Hat Linux v7.2 is happy again. This was
a major upgrade that also included new RAM and new NVIDIA video card.

The hardest part was the getting my HDD performance and getting HDD
light not to be stuck forever. :)
--
   "I do not believe that the Great Society is the ordered, changeless
 and sterile battalion of the ants. It is the e*ment of becoming--

   \ _ /            Remove ANT if replying by e-mail from a newsgroup.
    ( )

Post by Ben » Tue, 03 Jun 2003 08:10:09

> hello
> i buy an new motherboard and a new processor (athlon xp 2000+) for
> remounting a complete pc with an new case... I would like to know , i
> have an ide hdd with mandrake 9.1 inside with the modules of my old
> motherboard and the old k6...
> can i change the motherboard and the new processor and simply boot
> with the same hdd with the same mandrake without format or reinstall
> ?? will mandrakes kudzu simply install new modules or do i need to
> reinstall completely the system???
> thank you
> sam

I did this recently (P3 to Athlon) and ran into problems compiling a new
kernel.  It was solved by deleting the source tree and re-extracting it
from the tarball.

-Ben

Post by Robert Grizzar » Tue, 03 Jun 2003 10:03:44

> I did this recently (P3 to Athlon) and ran into problems compiling a new
> kernel.  It was solved by deleting the source tree and re-extracting it
> from the tarball.

That was a little pointless.  "make mrproper" in the old source tree
would have done the same thing, as well as leaving your patches alone.
--
The appearance of my E-mail address in any venue does not in and of itself
constitute a solicitation of bulk or commercial E-mail.

I don't want unsolicited commercial E-mail.

Post by scharkalvi » Tue, 03 Jun 2003 11:26:28

>>hello
>>i buy an new motherboard and a new processor (athlon xp 2000+) for
>>remounting a complete pc with an new case... I would like to know , i
>>have an ide hdd with mandrake 9.1 inside with the modules of my old
>>motherboard and the old k6...
>>can i change the motherboard and the new processor and simply boot
>>with the same hdd with the same mandrake without format or reinstall
>>?? will mandrakes kudzu simply install new modules or do i need to
>>reinstall completely the system???
>>thank you
>>sam

> I did this with an ASUS A7V8X mobo, 1 GB of RAM and an Athlon xp 2000+
> and it worked fine.  I'm running SuSE 8.2 pro.

> Best,
> Leigh Bassett
> Software architect and embedded systems guru.
> Registered Linux user #307936

I am using the a7V8X-X mb.  Please not the documentiation
refers to the built in lan as being a Realtek 8201BL chip, but
it really is a Via-Rhine chip.  At least that's the driver that worked.

Post by Ben » Tue, 03 Jun 2003 14:05:15

>>I did this recently (P3 to Athlon) and ran into problems compiling a new
>>kernel.  It was solved by deleting the source tree and re-extracting it
>>from the tarball.

> That was a little pointless.  "make mrproper" in the old source tree
> would have done the same thing, as well as leaving your patches alone.

I never claimed to be an expert.  I will have to remember that.

-Ben

upgrade motherboard without reinstalling?

so just recompile and its ok?

Post by Duke Robillar » Fri, 06 Jun 2003 02:49:44

> can i change the motherboard and the new processor and simply boot
> with the same hdd with the same mandrake without format or reinstall
> ?? will mandrakes kudzu simply install new modules or do i need to
> reinstall completely the system???

Sometimes yes, sometimes no.  :-)  I've had it go both ways.
It's worth a shot.

You're going up in the CPU, so that's good--if you had a 686
kernel and you changed to a 586 CPU (like one of the VIA's),
that would be not so good.

Duke

upgrade motherboard without reinstalling?

Post by samir hobei » Sat, 07 Jun 2003 02:32:01

everything is OK , the easiest way is to simply put the mandrake
(example) cd installation an upgrade the system wich is the same

1. Upgrading motherboard processor, need to reinstall?

Do I need to reinstall?

I intend to move all of my cards and the only thing that will be
different is the processor, and motherboard.  I don't want to
reinstall becaseu I've had it running okay for almsot 2 years now.
It's up to date, also.

I did compile my own kernel so I don't care if I need to do that to
optimize the system to the new board/cpu.   What I don't want to hear
is that I need to start from scratch.   It's going from a P1 to a P2
system.

thanks

2. Advice on Virtual Hosts by Name or IP?

3. Upgrading motherboard/CPU - Need reinstall?

4. variable substitution question

5. upgrade from 4.1 to 4.2 without reinstalling?

6. Nic 3C905B TXNM

7. Can I upgrade from 2.2 to 2.5 without complete reinstall?

8. In need of perl shell

9. Changed motherboard, now can't boot or reinstall Linux

10. Upgrading from RH7.1 to RH 7.2 without upgrading Kernel

11. Replacing hda without reinstalling the OS ??

12. SunOs:convert to C2 security without reinstall?

13. HELP-Want to reinstall FreeBSD without killing my settings.How?