NIC NIC

Post by Julie C » Fri, 21 Apr 2000 04:00:00

Hi,

I am still trying to solve my PROBLEM, which is driving me ballistic.

Facts:
1. I have installed RH 6.1 server. No problem.
2. I want to configure it as a firewall (Cablemodem --> home LAN). I've
seen plenty of docs, shouldn't be a problem.
3. Problem (but wait...): I can't get myIP from the Cable ISP (DHCP
server). That's a standard problem, I know.

Specifics (HW):
1. eth0 is an ALN-101 (PnP which I have to setup manually, for the time
being, with isapnp, modprobe). I can do that, it works.
2. eth1 is a Novel NE2000. I can configure it manually to 192.168.1.1.
it works.

Specifics (setup):
NO Problem: with eth0 ALONE in the box, everything works fine. I can
connect to the Net via dhcp. (I tried both pump and dhcpcd in the ifup
script). I tried to watch the data stream with tcpdump, and it looks
fine.

BIG problem:
1. with _both_ NICs physically present, neither pump, nor dhcpcd returns
the IP from the DHCP server (ISP). I can see (modem lights, and tcpdump)
the request going out to the cable: looks fine. Then the receive light
flashes back briefly, but tcpdump receives nothing, and... you guessed
it I get no IP (and no satisfaction!)
2. I tried all the tricks suggested in various discussion groups and in
the Bug reports for pump. (turn off/reset the modem, change
pump<->dhcpcd, newer versions,...), What else ?

OTHER:
with the same box (same NICs, different SCSI-HD) running NT 3.51 with
both NICs in, I can connect to the Net, no problem. Hence, I do NOT have
a hardware interference between the NICs. (right?)

Conclusions:
1. Since I can setup the Linux box with 1 NIC, I have no DHCP protocol
problem with my ISP (right?)
2. Since the Linux box recognizes both eth0 and eth1 (albeit manually,
at this point) as confirmed by ifconfig -a, I have no driver problem,
i.e. ne.o works OK as defined by my aliases in /etc/conf.modules
(right?)

My shortcomings:
1. I don't know how to get more info on the pump/dhcpcd failures, in the
2 NICs situation. Can you suggest ways to debug the access to the NIC ?
of the pump/dhcpcd modules ? of whatever else comes into play at that
time ?

2. It really looks like something is preventing the response from the
DHCP server to get through eth0 when eth1 is physically present in the
box.  what ? why ?

3. This does not seem to be neither an Ether, nor a dhcp problem; or
it's both; or it's...

4. frankly I am not that surefooted at this low-level stuff in Linux.
But some pointers to some good tools and docs (incl. dumb and dumber)
would be welcome.  I don't expect YOU to fix my problem; but that
d/f...d/g box is too heavy for me to throw out the window!

Any suggestion ?

TIA
Julie

---------------------

NIC NIC

Post by Bria » Sat, 22 Apr 2000 04:00:00

Hi Julie:

You clearly have a hardware conflict between you network interface cards -
that is where your error is likely to be found - IRQs most likely!

Shitcan the NE2000 - they are terrible cards and are far from standardized.
Perhaps you should try to get another ALN-101. If you have PCI slots
available and a bit of a budget, could I recommend you check out the Linksys
PCI 10/100 cards - check this out - $16 each:

www.linksys.com/scripts/features.asp?part=lne100tx

To buy:

www.buy.com/comp/product.asp?sku=10017160

These NICs run the NEW tulip driver (build into the kernel) autodetect and
self configure - very hot.

If you need more help, feel free to email me personally.

Just one guy's opinion.

Brian

>Hi,
>I am still trying to solve my PROBLEM, which is driving me ballistic.
>Facts:
>1. I have installed RH 6.1 server. No problem.
>2. I want to configure it as a firewall (Cablemodem --> home LAN). I've
>seen plenty of docs, shouldn't be a problem.
>3. Problem (but wait...): I can't get myIP from the Cable ISP (DHCP
>server). That's a standard problem, I know.
>Specifics (HW):
>1. eth0 is an ALN-101 (PnP which I have to setup manually, for the time
>being, with isapnp, modprobe). I can do that, it works.
>2. eth1 is a Novel NE2000. I can configure it manually to 192.168.1.1.
>it works.
>Specifics (setup):
>NO Problem: with eth0 ALONE in the box, everything works fine. I can
>connect to the Net via dhcp. (I tried both pump and dhcpcd in the ifup
>script). I tried to watch the data stream with tcpdump, and it looks
>fine.
>BIG problem:
>1. with _both_ NICs physically present, neither pump, nor dhcpcd returns
>the IP from the DHCP server (ISP). I can see (modem lights, and tcpdump)
>the request going out to the cable: looks fine. Then the receive light
>flashes back briefly, but tcpdump receives nothing, and... you guessed
>it I get no IP (and no satisfaction!)
>2. I tried all the tricks suggested in various discussion groups and in
>the Bug reports for pump. (turn off/reset the modem, change
>pump<->dhcpcd, newer versions,...), What else ?
>OTHER:
>with the same box (same NICs, different SCSI-HD) running NT 3.51 with
>both NICs in, I can connect to the Net, no problem. Hence, I do NOT have
>a hardware interference between the NICs. (right?)

Not necessarily. I have seen W95 report an IRQ to be one thing and have it
turn out to be something else - also, many of the drivers built specifically
for NT will compensate for errors/excentricites and non-standard behaviour
whereas your stock Linux NE2000 driver tries to be all things to all these
different NE2000 NICs - I have a box of these things that I have withdraw
from service and saved myself HOURS of heartache - what is your time worth?

Quote:>Conclusions:
>1. Since I can setup the Linux box with 1 NIC, I have no DHCP protocol
>problem with my ISP (right?)

correct

Quote:>2. Since the Linux box recognizes both eth0 and eth1 (albeit manually,
>at this point) as confirmed by ifconfig -a, I have no driver problem,

Not necessarily!

Quote:>i.e. ne.o works OK as defined by my aliases in /etc/conf.modules
>(right?)

Change the NE2000 for another card.

1. NIC NIC

[...]

2. SLS 1.03 net configuration?

3. Gravis Ultrasound Max success?

4. Multi-NIC NIC

5. Chat/pppd and blind dialing

6. NIC NIC

7. A1000 cannot edit LUN after creation

8. NIC / network won't load: Compaq Netelligent 10/100 Embedded NIC, Eth0

9. Crossover Cable Needed for Direct NIC 2 NIC?

10. routing - 3comps - one dualport-nic & two "normal" nics

11. How to specify/detect an NIC when using two or more NIC

12. 4.2 nic aliasing, multiple IPs, one nic does not work???