Lexmark 1100 & RedHat 8.0

Post by John McF » Thu, 14 Nov 2002 23:59:15

I'm running a 400 MHz Pentium II in a dual boot configuration with Windows 98 on
one disk and Linux on the other in a standalone configuration. I recently
upgraded from Redhat 7.3 to RedHat 8.0 and wanted to get the attached Lexmark
1100 printer working. I used printconf to establish a local printer queue lp0.
Stepping through the gui, I found the Lexmark 1100 driver. Everything seemed OK
and I got the message saying that the queue had been started. I then tried to
print a test letter sized postscript page from the printconf gui and nothing
happened. No error, just nothing printed. I opened up the print job monitoring
tool, which showed no activity. I then opened Open Office Writer, wrote some
text and tried to print that. By looking at the print job monitoring tool, I saw
that the job was passed to the queue. However after a second or two, the job
disappeared from the queue and nothing was printed. I rebooted under Windows and
printed a page just to make sure that the printer was properly connected. It
was. I then rebooted again under Linux, checked all the printtool stuff, but the
printer still wouldn't print. I tried reinitializing the queue but no joy.

I did the exact same procedure with my other computer (HP 6730 600MHz, dual
disk, dual boot configuration like the first) which has an HP 612C printer on
it. It prints just fine both as a test page under printconf and under Open
Office Writer.

Am I missing something really obvious? Any help is appreciated.

John McFee

____________

Head Threat Detection Group               | www.suffield.drdc-rddc.gc.ca
Defence R&D Canada - Suffield             | www.ccmat.gc.ca

Lexmark 1100 & RedHat 8.0

Post by Yousa » Fri, 15 Nov 2002 00:31:47

I had similar problem, so I switched to CUPS and it works like a charm.

> I'm running a 400 MHz Pentium II in a dual boot configuration with Windows 98 on
> one disk and Linux on the other in a standalone configuration. I recently
> upgraded from Redhat 7.3 to RedHat 8.0 and wanted to get the attached Lexmark
> 1100 printer working. I used printconf to establish a local printer queue lp0.
> Stepping through the gui, I found the Lexmark 1100 driver. Everything seemed OK
> and I got the message saying that the queue had been started. I then tried to
> print a test letter sized postscript page from the printconf gui and nothing
> happened. No error, just nothing printed. I opened up the print job monitoring
> tool, which showed no activity. I then opened Open Office Writer, wrote some
> text and tried to print that. By looking at the print job monitoring tool, I saw
> that the job was passed to the queue. However after a second or two, the job
> disappeared from the queue and nothing was printed. I rebooted under Windows and
> printed a page just to make sure that the printer was properly connected. It
> was. I then rebooted again under Linux, checked all the printtool stuff, but the
> printer still wouldn't print. I tried reinitializing the queue but no joy.

> I did the exact same procedure with my other computer (HP 6730 600MHz, dual
> disk, dual boot configuration like the first) which has an HP 612C printer on
> it. It prints just fine both as a test page under printconf and under Open
> Office Writer.

> Am I missing something really obvious? Any help is appreciated.

> John McFee
> --

> --
> ____________

> Head Threat Detection Group               | www.suffield.drdc-rddc.gc.ca
> Defence R&D Canada - Suffield             | www.ccmat.gc.ca

1. Lexmark 1100 won't print under RedHat 8.0

[...]

Next I tried CUPS. Exact same problem.

I did the exact same procedure with my other computer (HP 6730 600MHz, dual
disk, dual boot configuration like the first) which has an HP 612C printer on
it. It prints just fine both as a test page under printconf and under Open
Office Writer.

Am I missing something really obvious? Any help is appreciated.

John McFee

____________

Head Threat Detection Group               | www.suffield.drdc-rddc.gc.ca
Defence R&D Canada - Suffield             | www.ccmat.gc.ca

2. RH5.2 HDD install difficult

3. Lexmark 1100 Color Jetprinter & Redhat 5.1

4. RedHat 6.1

5. Lexmark 1100 Printer Driver

6. mail delivering problem

7. Need printer driver for "host-based" Lexmark 1100

8. Compiling boot code

9. Printer help - Lexmark 1100 inkjet

10. Lexmark 1100 printing but w/no ink.

11. unable to print using Lexmark 1100..

12. Lexmark 1100 Printer

13. Lexmark 1100 printing