Sony Vaio 505TX

Post by Michael J. Hopki » Sun, 21 Feb 1999 04:00:00

After looking at laptops for about 4 months, I find the one that
appeals to me the most is the new Sony VAIO 505TX.  I'm planning to
get one when they come out, and hope to run linux on it.  I'm
wondering if anyone here knows anything about some of the hardware,
and its linux compatibility.   I guess my main questions are:

(1)  What video chip is used?
(2)  Is the "Xbrite" technology a hardware modification, or
is it software?  Is it likely to have trouble under linux?
(3)  Is the modem a winmodem?

I can't seem to find this stuff out from the web page, and the
person I talked to at vaiodirect didn't know the answer to these
questions.

Thanks in advance,

Michael Hopkins

--
Michael J. Hopkins

Sony Vaio 505TX

Post by Emanuel Bro » Sun, 21 Feb 1999 04:00:00

Quote:>After looking at laptops for about 4 months, I find the one that
>appeals to me the most is the new Sony VAIO 505TX.  I'm planning to
>get one when they come out, and hope to run linux on it.  I'm
>wondering if anyone here knows anything about some of the hardware,
>and its linux compatibility.   I guess my main questions are:

>(1)  What video chip is used?

        NeoMagic 128XD - both you and the Sony rep missed this on the 505TX
web page? Same as the current crop of 505s, and some folks are using
Linux on those.

Quote:>(2)  Is the "Xbrite" technology a hardware modification, or
>is it software?  Is it likely to have trouble under linux?

        Hardware mod - I think it refers to the display allowing more
contrast, rather than actually being brighter - the displays are
bright enough already.

Quote:>(3)  Is the modem a winmodem?
        Nope.

        epbrown
Portable Computing FAQ - http://www.enteract.com/~epbrown
Sony VAIO 505 info - http://www.enteract.com/~epbrown/sony505.html

Sony Vaio 505TX

Post by James Mitchel » Thu, 25 Feb 1999 04:00:00

Just built a system w/ an Award BIOS dated 07/02/1996 and a IBM
DTTA-351010 disk...  I get a 'Primary master hard disk fail' message
from the POST, but I can mount the disk using a "rescue" disk.  I ran
lilo and e2fsck on the IBM disk, but to no avail.  Is it a BIOS problem?
--
   ^-^                                         - James Mitchell

  ( v )   JIBA!            http://www.owlnet.rice.edu/~jwmitch/
---m-m---------------------------------------------------------

Sony Vaio 505TX

Post by Paul Hovnania » Thu, 25 Feb 1999 04:00:00

> Just built a system w/ an Award BIOS dated 07/02/1996 and a IBM
> DTTA-351010 disk...  I get a 'Primary master hard disk fail' message
> from the POST, but I can mount the disk using a "rescue" disk.  I ran
> lilo and e2fsck on the IBM disk, but to no avail.  Is it a BIOS problem?

This may be because the kernel on your rescue disk can figure
out your HD configuration (sectors, heads, cylinders) but your
BIOS cannot. I'm not familiar with that HD model, but it might
not support your BIOS auto-configure probe. Does your rescue
disk have any boot parameters for 'forcing' the HD configuration?

You might try to enter these manually into your BIOS setup and see
if this clears the problem. On the other hand, the inability of
a recent BIOS to autoprobe the HD indicates either an old or failing
HD.

> --
>    ^-^                                         - James Mitchell

>   ( v )   JIBA!            http://www.owlnet.rice.edu/~jwmitch/
> ---m-m---------------------------------------------------------

Matter can not be created or destroyed, nor can it be returned
without a receipt.

1. Sound on Sony 505tx

I recently installed RH 6.0 on my 505tx, and everything seems to be
working fine except for the sound. I followed the suggestion on the linux
for laptops site to use sndconfig and choose sb16. The sample sounds in
sndconfig play properly, but when I try to play any kind of a sound with
this configuration, it plays at to high a frequency (the same thing
happens with any configuration I've tried, provided the sound works at
all).

I've yet to try any of the other solutions provided on this site, I'm just
wondering if anyone else is familiar with this problem.

Thanks

                  http://www.searchlinux.com

2. Printing to remote printer: Linux to Linux

3. Sony Vaio R505TE

4. HELP!----- Downloading usenet binaries from Windows 95 for Linux

5. Sony Vaio C1XN jog dial

6. _setutent Can't open utmp file: No such file or directory

7. Sound On a SONY VAIO PCG-F340 Redhat 6.1

8. debian 2.2r3/promise fasttrak 100 tx2

9. Linux on a Sony VAIO PCG-XG9 notebook

10. Fix APM on Sony Vaio Laptops for 2.5

11. FBSD 4.0 on a Sony Vaio

12. Sony VAIO GR, 1394 port not receiving IRQ

13. Linux installation in SONY VAIO PCG-885.