PCI Video card advice

Post by RLynk » Thu, 13 Jun 1996 04:00:00

I am buying a new pentium soon.  I will be using it for linux mostly and
want some advice on what video card to buy.  Is there a list of good
compatible cards somewhere?  I want the highest performance card I can
get that will be compatible with xwindows (readily compatible without
spending a week and posting pleas for help :)   ) and of course I want
to be able to play all the new DOS games that require high-end video.

I appreciate any help/suggestions.  Thank you.

-Roger Lynker

PCI Video card advice

Post by Ramana R. Juvva » Fri, 14 Jun 1996 04:00:00

: I am buying a new pentium soon.  I will be using it for linux mostly and
: want some advice on what video card to buy.  Is there a list of good
: compatible cards somewhere?  I want the highest performance card I can
: get that will be compatible with xwindows (readily compatible without
: spending a week and posting pleas for help :)   ) and of course I want

You have several choices if you want 2M VRAM. I bought recently with 4M VRAM
I narrowed down to Diamond and #9 FX 771. I settled finally on #9 because
they have a 220 Mhz RAMDAC. Diamond also has 220 Mhz on some video
but they have 175 MHz on some. Both of them on the same model, 3400.
It was very difficult to get the information from the vendors.
I can't blame them too much, because the info is not printed on the
box or in the manual. So I decided to play safe and buy #9. Anyway,
#9 is an excellent card and I am very happy with it. If you are
thinking of a buying a 17 in monitor Viewsonic 17PS is a very good

You are limited to running in 16 bit with XFree and Metro-X.

Hope that helps.

Ramana

PCI Video card advice

Post by Fred Broc » Sat, 15 Jun 1996 04:00:00

I settled on the Diamond Stealth 64 2mb dram (S3 chip)..

Works fine in X..I can get all three modes with my cheap SVGA GOlDSTAR
monitor..I am running X312E..I don't think you have to run the beta
version to run this board though..

I briefly tried the Stealth 64 S3v (or whatever it is called..video)..it
was faster but less forgiving with clock speeds with X..

You can get the basic Stealth 64 2mb Dram for about $120 bucks..

fb

1. Looking for PCI video card advice

I'm currently using a PCI Rendition V1000 card; it's supported by XFree86,
but only as a non accelerated card (the V1000 is a very sharp but rather
slow SVGA card).  I'd appreciate any advice you can offer regarding PCI
video card performance under XFree86 (I'm running Slackware 3.5 but have
upgraded the X software).  Requirements are:

   -- PCI
   -- cheap ($100 or less)
   -- better than the V1000 I have
   -- sharp
   -- accelerated under XFree86

Candidates are a TNT-based card or one of the ATI Rage cards, along with -
possibly - a Matrox card; Win95 and gaming are a consideration.

Thanks for your advice!

2. Lucent Technologies", "WaveLAN/IEEE" kernel 2.4.6 wvlan_cs, orinoco_cs ..

3. looking for advice on a 3.3V PCI video input card

4. NEC CDR-260 Problem

5. WTD: Sound card/video card advice

6. how do you delete a file?

7. On-Board video vs PCI video card: can linux recognize?

8. Adding fvwm to xdm login screen (need help)

9. I find PCI video grabber(or video capture card) supporting Linux

10. Jaton Video 67 PRO PCI VIDEO CARD DRIVERS

11. How to use PCI video card instead of onboard video?

12. ??: Mandrake, XWindows and Trident PCI Video Card Error - Can't Detect Video RAM???

13. Will X work with the Diamond Stealth 64 Video VRAM PCI video card?