seeking advice on laptop purchase

Post by Neil Zanell » Sat, 20 Jun 1998 04:00:00

Hi,

I am looking for advice on a laptop I can install Linux on.

I would like the laptop to run high resolutions and have a relatively

large/medium screen. Quiet operation is also an asset I am looking for.

If possible, it should also be relatively affordable.

Thanks for any advice,

Neil

seeking advice on laptop purchase

Post by <h.. » Tue, 30 Jun 1998 04:00:00

I have a web page about gateway's solo5100 LS.  It fits you qutie well I think.

http://www.physics.usyd.edu.au/~he/

Quote:> Hi,
> I am looking for advice on a laptop I can install Linux on.
> I would like the laptop to run high resolutions and have a relatively
> large/medium screen. Quiet operation is also an asset I am looking for.
> If possible, it should also be relatively affordable.
> Thanks for any advice,
> Neil

Department of Theoretical Physics  Tel:61-2-93515770
School of Physics       A28        Mob:0414-812127
The University of Sydney           Fax:61-2-93517726

Australia   www: http://www.physics.usyd.edu.au/~he/
  .~.
  /V\          L   I   N   U   X
 // \\      >The choice of freedom.<
/(   )\
 ^^-^^

1. Seeking Ethernet Card Purchase Advice

I am looking to set up a linux box with 3 ethernet ports.  Are there
any cards that work particualry good in this environment?  Any that
should be avoided?

Adaptec has a board with 4 ports on one card but its awefully
expensive ($600+).

100Mbit speed is not immediatly needed but I see no reason not to
spend a few extra bucks on the future.  For the same reasons I would
prefer PCI cards.

The motherboard has 4 PCI slots with a video card in one.  There are
no other expansion cards(ISA or PCI) in the machine.  The IDE and
floppy controllers are the usual motherboard based ports.  Will I have
problems with IRQs/PnP/DMA channels?

It would seem wise to go with 3 identical cards though I may need to
configure them to operate at different ethernet speeds at some point.
Are there drivers that work better with multiple cards?

Bryan White, If its wrong, blame me.

2. user editing in Linux

3. Seeking advice on new system purchase

4. java setup on linux 9

5. Advice on laptop for linux purchase?

6. where can i find aix installation help ?

7. Seeking Advice on Wireless Networking for Laptop w/ Linux

8. Printing problem

9. Advice sought: seeking archival storage system for Linux

10. Purchase of Large UNIX Server, seeking info!

11. Modem Purchase Suggestion Sought

12. Modem Purchasing advise sought ...

13. Advice on system purchase