XFree86 3.3.3.1 broke xdm?

Post by Chris Abajia » Mon, 07 Jun 1999 04:00:00

I was quite happy with my ($20) adaptec 1542 ISA scsi card until I ran into
a rather odd problem.  I seem to be hitting a limit of two devices!

I have

- a seagate dat, reliably available at /dev/st0
- a umax astra 1200S scanner, reliably available at /dev/scd0
- a ricoh cd-rw, moves around among /dev/sg*

the scanner is external, the other two internal.  the scanner works fine if ONE
of the other two is connected.  If  I try to use all three, they get recognized
by linux on boot but the scanner will NOT work.  in fact, scanimage -L will either
hang or coredump.  wierd.  Juggling the device numbers is no help at all, it just
moves around which device file linux ends up assigning it to.  I have tried several
combinations of IDs to no avail.  It just seems that the umax will not respond
properly if both the other devices are present.

I'm guessing this is a limitiation of the card, but the astra could just as well
be to blame.  Any experience with this, pointers from those versed in scsi lore?

please respond via email unless of general interest...

--
Chris Abajian
http://www.abajian.com

1. XFree86 3.3.3.1 broke xdm?

I installed XFree86 3.3.3.1 to support a new ATI Rage video card and xdm now seems to be broken.
Is there some incompatibility at work here, or did I perhaps damage a symlink that xdm depends
on (e.g. via a system() call)?

behavior: executing xdm from root does nothing but leave two xdm processes in background, but
system remains in console tty mode...

--
Chris Abajian
http://www.abajian.com

2. Preventing Permanate Loss of Files

3. xdm broken after power failure

4. Adaptec AHA1510A

5. can't break xdm loop

6. qmail question

7. XDM broken pipe

8. Jazz Drive and Linux

9. xlock-xdm broken?

10. solaris 2.6 xdm broken??

11. Make broken, top broken, flock errors, kernel modules broken

12. xdm broken:unreadable fonts

13. xdm breaks r* and gopher: DEBIAN 0.98