intermittent alsa module loading problem

intermittent alsa module loading problem

Post by iksraz » Wed, 21 Aug 2002 22:06:25

Occasionally I get an error message in kde at startup listing /dev/dsp
not loading, and sure enough there is no sound. When this problem
occurs I get the following in /var/log/messages:

Aug 20 08:37:08 quefaz insmod: insmod: a module named snd-opl3-lib
already exists
Aug 20 08:37:08 quefaz insmod: insmod: insmod sound-slot-0 failed
Aug 20 08:37:09 quefaz insmod: insmod: a module named snd-pcm already
exists
Aug 20 08:37:09 quefaz insmod: insmod: insmod sound-service-0-3 failed

The problem reoccurs on every boot, until I run the following script,
and reboot:

cat /proc/modules|gawk '/^snd-/{print $1}'|xargs -i rmmod {}

My questions are:

1) Is there a way to prevent this problem?
2) Should I run this script when the system halts, and if so how?
3) Reading the module howto, the autoclean flag seemingly is to save
memory. Is this a possible solution(Difficult to test because the
problem is intermittent)?

I'm running alsa .90 rc2 .

Thanks for any help,
iksrazal

intermittent alsa module loading problem

Post by gee » Sat, 24 Aug 2002 08:35:38

Quote:> Occasionally I get an error message in kde at startup listing /dev/dsp
> not loading, and sure enough there is no sound. When this problem
> occurs I get the following in /var/log/messages:

> Aug 20 08:37:08 quefaz insmod: insmod: a module named snd-opl3-lib
> already exists
> Aug 20 08:37:08 quefaz insmod: insmod: insmod sound-slot-0 failed
> Aug 20 08:37:09 quefaz insmod: insmod: a module named snd-pcm already
> exists
> Aug 20 08:37:09 quefaz insmod: insmod: insmod sound-service-0-3 failed

> The problem reoccurs on every boot, until I run the following script,
> and reboot:

> cat /proc/modules|gawk '/^snd-/{print $1}'|xargs -i rmmod {}

> My questions are:

> 1) Is there a way to prevent this problem?
> 2) Should I run this script when the system halts, and if so how?
> 3) Reading the module howto, the autoclean flag seemingly is to save
> memory. Is this a possible solution(Difficult to test because the
> problem is intermittent)?

> I'm running alsa .90 rc2 .

> Thanks for any help,
> iksrazal

Yes, i believe the alsa source you are using should include a script which
would be installed in (debian) /etc/init.d/alsasound
in debian all you have to do to add this is update-rc.d alsasound default",
and it will handle loading/unloading + mixer settings.
For other distributions check your init scripts. I hope i understood your
problem correctly.

Post by gee » Sat, 24 Aug 2002 08:39:56

Quote:> Occasionally I get an error message in kde at startup listing /dev/dsp
> not loading, and sure enough there is no sound. When this problem
> occurs I get the following in /var/log/messages:

> Aug 20 08:37:08 quefaz insmod: insmod: a module named snd-opl3-lib
> already exists
> Aug 20 08:37:08 quefaz insmod: insmod: insmod sound-slot-0 failed
> Aug 20 08:37:09 quefaz insmod: insmod: a module named snd-pcm already
> exists
> Aug 20 08:37:09 quefaz insmod: insmod: insmod sound-service-0-3 failed

> The problem reoccurs on every boot, until I run the following script,
> and reboot:

> cat /proc/modules|gawk '/^snd-/{print $1}'|xargs -i rmmod {}

> My questions are:

> 1) Is there a way to prevent this problem?
> 2) Should I run this script when the system halts, and if so how?
> 3) Reading the module howto, the autoclean flag seemingly is to save
> memory. Is this a possible solution(Difficult to test because the
> problem is intermittent)?

> I'm running alsa .90 rc2 .

> Thanks for any help,
> iksrazal

The alsa source you installed should include a script called alsasound. In
debian it goes to /etc/init.d/alsasound, and all you have to do is run
"update-rc.d alsasound default" and it will handle loading/unloading + mixer
settings at boot-time.

1. Persistent Intermittent crash while loading aic7xxx module

Can anyone tell me why this might happen?  I installed Redhat 6.0 yesterday
and for the rest of the evening every time I rebooted the system it would
get past the lilo prompt, bring up a whole lot of stuff about checking
partitions and Raid arrays and would finally wind up hanging when displaying
the message:

For some reason it would happen intermittently and today it gets stuck there
every time.

Can anyone tell me what the aic7xxx module is?  Do I have a piece of
hardware that is playing up?

Symon.

2. kermit escape character

3. ALSA: help loading emu10k1 module

4. comp.os.linux.help

5. ALSA drivers and loading modules

6. sx driver, DCD-HylaFAX problem solved

7. How to load ALSA sound module at startup?

8. Configure Sendmail

10. ALSA Segmentation fault load modules 2.5.70 and 2.5.70mm1

11. How to load ALSA sound module at startup?

12. Alsa on Debian3 - modules problem

13. problems with alsa modules with redhat 7.3