2nd Announce: Group Purchase of DEC UDB Linux/NT boxes $750/$600

Post by mack » Sat, 24 Aug 1996 04:00:00

--------------794B15FB59E2

--

Xray Lab Manager, Sysop
MacroMolecular Structure Group, Duke University, Durham NC, 27710

--------------794B15FB59E2

Subject: Group purchase of DEC UDB Unix Box for $750

        The UDB (Universal Desktop Box) is a compact, no software,
no licence general purpose unix box from DEC (complete specs/info
at http://www.digital.com:80/.i/info/udb/). This box belongs
to the same family as the Multia (same thing with software)
and was originally available with various sizes of cache, harddisks,
CPU speed and memory.

        DEC liquidated the last 8000 of these Jul 1 and they
are now available on the surplus market. A local store Computer
Outlet (Durham, NC, 919-361-9878, fax 919-544-0794, contact person
Eric Westrom) is willing to do a group purchase of these machines
at $750 ea. If 200 units are bought, the price will be about $600.

        We at Duke are currently using 8 of these running
pvm3 to do parallel processing. At a price of $750
you can use these as a cheap home computer, as a gateway,
www server or print server.

        The computer is small (about the size of a telephone
book for a town of 100,000 people), single board, and uses IBMPC
style peripherals and connectors.

        The version available for the group purchas has:

166 MHz 21066 Alpha chip (approx equal to 100MHz Pentium for integer,
                                     better for floating point)
PCI bus, one slot (small, we're using that slot for a 100Mbit ether card)
64 bit bus (approx, there are parity and other lines)
24M memory std (72pin 70nsec SIMMS, four slots)
                          expandable to 256M with 64M chips.
256K cache
340M internal scsi disk (2.5"),
1.44M floppy drive
room for 2nd disk (3.5") if PCI slot not used
on board: graphics accelarator (1280x1024, 2M VRAM) VGA connector,
         scsi II controller and scsiII external connector,
         parallel and serial ports,
         PS/2 keyboard connector,
         10Mbit ethercard (twisted pair, AUI and BNC ports).
         2 PCMCIA slots
         soundcard

        You will need to supply a mouse, keyboard and monitor.

        Memory upgrades will be available at current prices
(which are running about $85 for parity 8M SIMMS, $65 for non-parity,
for $16M SIMMS, $135/$125).

        The machine runs Craftwork Linux (we're using v2.1AXP,
with Linux kernel 1.3.89, which we have upgraded to 2.0.x. Craftwork
is expecting to release v2.2AXP Sept 1, with Linux kernel v2.0.x,
projected price of $95 or you can download it from their website
for free.) Linux AXP is a fully functional Unix,
with compilers, X, networking, appletalk, apache WWW server, Mosaic,
DNS name services. For further details of the Craftwork Linux AXP see
http://www.craftwork.com/
Linux uses GNU and other freely available developement tools,
which are readily available from the net, eg gcc (includes
objective C), gnu fortran.

        The machine originally was supplied with Windows NT
installed, but the state of the disks in the surplus machines
(NT, or unformatted) is unknown. Presumably there is/was support
at DEC for NT, but I don't know how to get it. It is my understanding
that the Windows NT CDROM has the OS for Alpha. Because the architecture
of the CPU is not Intel, Windows NT programs compiled for Intel
will not run on this machine. You'll need NT binaries compiled for this
chip or you'll need the sources and will have to compile them yourself.

        The UDB has a 1 year warrantee from DEC, however
_NO_ manuals are available. I have a copy of the manual and will attempt
to make it available, probably for a copying fee. For a starter look
on the webpage (address below).

        I am putting out this announcement because we at Duke are
going to buy some of these machines and would like to get a good price.
I have dealt with Computer Outlet for about a year, and
have found them helpful, reliable and with good prices, so I send
them my business when I can. In posting this offer I accept no
responsibility for the usefullness or suitability of the machines
for any purpose whatever. The specs I have posted here to the best
of my knowledge are correct, but again I accept no responsibility
for them - please check with Computer Outlet, DEC and Crafwork to
make sure.

        You will be responsible for installing the operating system.
If anyone wishes, the Craftwork Linux AXP operating system will
be installed for $50 before shipping to the level that the
system boots, recognises all its hardware and is capable of
connecting to the network via thinwire. You will need to
configure the machine beyond this level using the Craftwork CD.
These machines will be shipped following shipment of the machines
without the installed OS. You shouldn't experience any more than
the usual problems getting the UDB up from zero than with any
other machine, so it's quite reasonable to attempt to do this yourself.
After the purchase, I will give free phone help (as my time permits)
to anyone trying to get the system up.

        If anyone is interested please e-mail me, giving
contact info (name, organisation, ph#, email, number of computers)
Progress on the group purchase (including names and number of computers
requested) will be posted on http://www.xray.duke.edu/udb/.
On Sep 15 (or there abouts), I will post a notice on this
web site as to whether the number of orders is slowing down or
not and the projected date for sending your money to the Computer
Outlet. Qualified organisations can send a PO. Otherwise
a 50% deposit is required, with the remainder paid COD.

        I'm happy to talk about our experiences with these machines
by phone/email or talk about technical issues. All monies and issues
regarding the details of the purchase will be handled through Computer
Outlet, (contact person Eric Westrom) who will be responsible for
delivering a working machine.

Please reply with

Name                           :
Organisation                   :
Address                        :
Ph#/timezone                   :
e-mail                         :

memory upgrades (Mb)           :

Please note these prices my best estimate at the moment. A final binding
price will be posted on the UDB web page at the time for sending
in the orders. If there's enough interest (200 units) the price
will be about $600.

        Joseph Mack
        Sysadmin, Xray Group
        Duke University Medical Center
        Durham, NC, 27710
        (919)-613-8890 (UTC-5hrs)

--------------794B15FB59E2--

:
:       We at Duke are currently using 8 of these running
: pvm3 to do parallel processing. At a price of $750
: you can use these as a cheap home computer, as a gateway,
: www server or print server.
:
Gee, it looks like Duke University is now starting to endorse individual
pieces of hardware and/or vendors...I wonder if the poster realises that
Duke's Legal Department in the ba*t of the Allen Building would not be
too happy with a public endor*t of a hardware vendor.

: _NO_ manuals are available. I have a copy of the manual and will attempt
: to make it available, probably for a copying fee. For a starter look
: on the webpage (address below).

As a Digital Reseller, I would suggest NOT copying that manual...just
because the product is obsolete, doesn't make DEC's copyright on the
manuals.

: Please note these prices my best estimate at the moment.

:       Joseph Mack
:       Sysadmin, Xray Group
:       Duke University Medical Center
:       Durham, NC, 27710
:       (919)-613-8890 (UTC-5hrs)

So let's go through this one last time...we have a Duke Employee, speaking
as a Duke Employee, endorsing not only a product, but also a specific
vendor??? I would more more than willing to be that this posting, along
with the fact that the poster is keeping people a* of this "group
purchase" on Duke's resources, would be enough to hold Duke University
liable in the event someone is hosed in this group buy...that
notwithstanding, and having sold hardware to DUKE for a number of years,
be advised that DUKE UNIVERSITY DOESN'T NEED TO PARTICIPATE IN A GROUP BUY
FOR ANY TYPE OF COMPUTER EQUIPMENT -- VENDORS COME TO THEM BEGGING TO SELL
THEIR HARDWARE TO DUKE. Duke buys around $14,000,000 in computers a year,
only about $3,000,000 come through the Campus Computer Store, the rest is
USUALLY directly from the hardware manufactuers -- DIGITAL is one of them,
and Duke gets the best pricing I've seen from DEC, SUN, HP, SGI, etc.

Just some information to digest, aside from that, the machines are EASILY
obtainable at the $600 price point ALL DAY LONG.

Dave Briggman

Post by Tommy Tho » Sun, 25 Aug 1996 04:00:00

| Just some information to digest, aside from that, the machines are EASILY
| obtainable at the $600 price point ALL DAY LONG.
|
| Dave Briggman

Prove it or shut up.

/Tommy

2nd Announce: Group Purchase of DEC UDB Linux/NT boxes $750/$600

Post by James P. Meye » Sun, 25 Aug 1996 04:00:00

Quote:> Just some information to digest, aside from that, the machines are EASILY
> obtainable at the $600 price point ALL DAY LONG.

> Dave Briggman

        The "price police" has spoken....

2nd Announce: Group Purchase of DEC UDB Linux/NT boxes $750/$600

Post by Dave Briggm » Sun, 25 Aug 1996 04:00:00

: | Just some information to digest, aside from that, the machines are EASILY
: | obtainable at the $600 price point ALL DAY LONG.
: |
: | Dave Briggman
:
: Prove it or shut up.

As I stated, I am a DIGITAL reseller...I sell these for $600 all day long.

I think that's proof enough.

2nd Announce: Group Purchase of DEC UDB Linux/NT boxes $750/$600

Post by Dave Briggm » Sun, 25 Aug 1996 04:00:00

:
:       The "price police" has spoken....

The primary issue is not about price, it's about a Duke Employee, speaking
as a Duke Employee, endorsing a specific vendor, and Duke's responsibility
in case of a problem with the sale.

Dave

2nd Announce: Group Purchase of DEC UDB Linux/NT boxes $750/$600

Post by James P. Meye » Sun, 25 Aug 1996 04:00:00

Quote:> The primary issue is not about price, it's about a Duke Employee, speaking
> as a Duke Employee, endorsing a specific vendor, and Duke's responsibility
> in case of a problem with the sale.

        I sincerely doubt that anybody at Duke gives a rat's behind one
way or the other.  I know *I* don't, and *I* speak officially in my
capacity as a Duke Employee.

        Jim

Post by Terry Lamber » Sun, 25 Aug 1996 04:00:00

] : | Just some information to digest, aside from that, the machines
] : | are EASILY obtainable at the $600 price point ALL DAY LONG.
] : |
] : | Dave Briggman
] :
] : Prove it or shut up.
]
] As I stated, I am a DIGITAL reseller...I sell these for $600 all
] day long.
]
] I think that's proof enough.

Is this an offer for sale at this price?

How many units (configured as was posted) do you have available
for sale at this price?

                                        Terry Lambert

---
or previous employers.

Post by Ade Bark » Sun, 25 Aug 1996 04:00:00

: : | Just some information to digest, aside from that, the machines
: : | are EASILY obtainable at the $600 price point ALL DAY LONG.
: :
: : Prove it or shut up.

: As I stated, I am a DIGITAL reseller...I sell these for $600 all
: day long. I think that's proof enough.

I'm interested in purchasing one for $600, in the configuration
originally specified. How many do you have for sale ?

Regards,

-Ade

2nd Announce: Group Purchase of DEC UDB Linux/NT boxes $750/$600

Post by Ron Arch » Sun, 25 Aug 1996 04:00:00

Quote:> So let's go through this one last time...we have a Duke
> Employee, speaking as a Duke Employee, endorsing not
> only a product, but also a specific vendor???

As a Duke Employee, I endorse the superb and excellent
Nota Bene word processor.  The current version is 4.5
with a Win95 version on the way shortly.  As for vendor.
Get it direct from the Technology Group.

Now.  Sue me.

*Give a hoot.  Shoot a lawyer or lawyer wannabe*

Post by Dave Briggm » Mon, 26 Aug 1996 04:00:00

:
:       I sincerely doubt that anybody at Duke gives a rat's behind one
: way or the other.  I know *I* don't, and *I* speak officially in my
: capacity as a Duke Employee.

Well "jimbob" that's because you're a worker bee with no responsibilities.
Of course, as an Electronics Technician, I don't think you could
"officially" give someone directions from the FEL Building to the North
Building.

2nd Announce: Group Purchase of DEC UDB Linux/NT boxes $750/$600

Post by Dave Briggm » Mon, 26 Aug 1996 04:00:00

:
: I'm interested in purchasing one for $600, in the configuration
: originally specified. How many do you have for sale ?

We had one lot of 50 earlier in the week, however, an ISP here in the
Valley took all but about six two run NT on. Thusly we have six
remaining...additionally we have a large quantity (75) of NeXT machines
(complete systems, 17" monochrome displays) and licensed software, also
for $600.00 (NeXTSTEP release 3.3, BSD Unix 4.3).

Dave

2nd Announce: Group Purchase of DEC UDB Linux/NT boxes $750/$600

Post by Dave Schull » Mon, 26 Aug 1996 04:00:00

concerning the sale of Digital equipment at Duke University, etc. etc.

could you folk step out into the alley and settle this, or perhaps
switch to e-mail or telephone;
and leave the rest of us to discuss crystallography?

thank you.

         There are a million e-mail signatures in the * city;
                        this is just one of them.
                        Dave Schuller
                        modern man in a post-modern world
                        University of California-Irvine

2nd Announce: Group Purchase of DEC UDB Linux/NT boxes $750/$600

Post by Jay Kam » Mon, 26 Aug 1996 04:00:00

OKay guys - let's step back for a second..
First of all, I have no interest in buying any of these machines, so
don't think I'm biased or anything...

Number one: let's cut off the personal attacks on the newsgroups, okay
GENTLEMEN.  Either way, one of you is trying to be a salesperson (who
never wins by publicly flaming/insulting people), and the other is partly
acting in the capacity of a Duke Employee.  So, either cool it, or move
it to e-mail.  You're both making Duke look bad on all the other
newsgroups you crossposted the original to.

Number 2: I'm not sure that the original post was that much of an
endor*t.  In case you haven't noticed, the department of Computer
Science often forwards/posts information they receive from Sun
Microsystems and other companies.  Why these companies?  Because that's
what the department uses.  Many students/staff/etc. I'm sure are
interested in obtaining machines compatible with department hardware -
whether its for personal or academic use.  I don't consider the original
post a "buy this, because I think it's good" endor*t, rather I see it
as a "here's what we use, and if anyone else is looking for this,
so-and-so dealer has a good price on them right now."  So, Dave, I think
you're making a mountain out of a mole hill.

Number 3:  Dave does have every right to say "Hey, I noticed your post
about computer prices - and I can match it... contact me at xxx-xxxx.
Thank you."  So nobody should be jumping on him for his post about "I can
get them for $600 too."

Number 4:  Dave, take a chill pill.  You seem a little jumpy - throughout
the two years I've been at Duke, you've been pestering at things that
very few people would even notice - or even care about.  If you want to
talk about pesky things that nobody notices/cares about, then we could
ask why you've changed companies/providers at least twice in the past
year (interpath.net, digex.net), as well as what you have to Duke University.
I've hear rumors about what you *used* to do with Duke, but I'm sure
those aren't true - at least I hope they're not true.  I will say no more
on that topic.

Lastly:  follow-ups to this should either be to the duke.* hierarchy if
they're meant for public discussion, or via e-mail otherwise.  Either
way, this discussion has digressed from that appropriate for the comp.*
newsgroups...

jay
Trinity '98

'------\---'  | | |[_  \__/ | || \ \/ |  |_|_ \_/ |_ [_  | still on e-mail

Post by Or » Tue, 27 Aug 1996 04:00:00

>: | Just some information to digest, aside from that, the machines are EASILY
>: | obtainable at the $600 price point ALL DAY LONG.
>: |
>: | Dave Briggman
>:
>: Prove it or shut up.

>As I stated, I am a DIGITAL reseller...I sell these for $600 all day long.

Is this a formal offer?  Could you post the hardware specs and how long
your quoted price is good for, please?

                 ____

                  \/