Linux on a Jensen (DECpc AXP/150)

Post by Theocid » Sun, 11 May 1997 04:00:00

I've managed to get my hands on a DECpc AXP/150, and was thinking of
runing Linux on it. For what I've heard, there shouldn't be any problems
except for some hassle during installation. I seem to remember though
that the only graphics chip suported in the X server for the Jensen is
the S3. My box has the standard QVision EISA card, and I'm not sure (and
haven't been able to figure out) wether it's suported or not.

Is anyone else runing Linux on a standard DECpc AXP/150, and in that
case, what distribution are you using? Do you have any experiences from
installation/configuration that could be useful to me?

Any help is of course greatly apreciated.

Please reply through e-mail and news.

/Henning Strandin

Linux on a Jensen (DECpc AXP/150)

Post by Kari Davidsso » Sat, 17 May 1997 04:00:00

I can not answer your question, but I can make some recomendations.
You are posting to the news groups wich makes my wonder if you are
familiar with the axp mailing list. I suggest that you check out the
redhat site http://www.veryComputer.com/ and go throgh the mailing list
archives (go through support). They have search engines so looking
for QVision should give you some answeres if they have been answered
before. If not you can always ask there again.
They (redhat) also have some FAQs regarding Linux on axp.
And of course you should subscribe to the axp mailing list 8-).

My self is a owner of UDB and have found the people of the axp list
helpful and with their aid I was able to get my UDB up and running.

Hope this helps,
K.D.

> I've managed to get my hands on a DECpc AXP/150, and was thinking of
> runing Linux on it. For what I've heard, there shouldn't be any problems
> except for some hassle during installation. I seem to remember though
> that the only graphics chip suported in the X server for the Jensen is
> the S3. My box has the standard QVision EISA card, and I'm not sure (and
> haven't been able to figure out) wether it's suported or not.

> Is anyone else runing Linux on a standard DECpc AXP/150, and in that
> case, what distribution are you using? Do you have any experiences from
> installation/configuration that could be useful to me?

> Any help is of course greatly apreciated.

> Please reply through e-mail and news.

> /Henning Strandin

  * Kri Davesson                    *                               *
  * Opiskelijankatu 4 F 330           *                               *
  * 33720 Tampere                     *     Your adverti*t here.  *
  * Finland                           *     Low prices.               *
  * Tel: + 358-(0)50-5225153          *                               *

1. RedHat Linux 6.2 on DECpc AXP 150 Jensen (Alpha)

I have a Jensen, that I was able to successfully install RedHat Linux 4.0
onto a couple years ago.  I haven't done much with it since.  I recently
pulled it out to install RedHat Linux 6.2 onto.  I've reformatted all the
drives, so I'm not trying an upgrade at all.  I can get the boot kernel
installed, and can get the installation started.  When the installation gets
to the point where it says it's searching for packages, it come up with an
error saying that the COMPS isn't version .1, and allows me to use the menu.
If I skip that steps, I can make it thru the installation, but very few of
the steps complete successfully after that., and in the end, the kernel
won't boot.  This same media worked just fine on a AlphaStation 255 Avante.

Any help would be appreciated

Thanks

Jason Martin

2. Zip drive?

3. Trying to install Redhat 5.2 on Jensen DECpc axp 150

4. Cross compile from intel -> ppc

5. Problem Installing Linux on a DECpc AXP 150.

6. How to unset 'tab' on xterm ... ??

7. Need Help Installing linux on a decpc axp 150

8. Driver for a HP 660C ...

9. Linux on Digital AXP 150 PC (Jensen PC)

10. Booting Alpha AXP 150 (jensen) with Linux - ??

11. Linux on a Jensen (Dec PC 2000 AXP 150) machine

12. config prob on DECpc 150 AXP

13. ECU config for Digital DECpc AXP-150