LS-120 mounting

Post by Hugh McCur » Sun, 19 Jul 1998 04:00:00

> I'm a newbie to Linux.  I have redhat 5.1 and i can't get my LS-120 drive to
> mount.  It says something about the super block, and can't write to
> it...protected mode.  could anyone help me with this problem.  If possible put

Newbie Lesson #1

When reporting an error, include the exact error message.
Also, include the command you used to attempt to mount the drive.
(If I could read minds, I'd be a much better poker player).

However, it sounds like you don't have IDE-FLOPPY support compiled into
your kernel.

Try the following

$ kmesg | less

Shortly after booting the computer.  Look for where Linux "talks" about
your hard disks.  If the LS-120 is being recognized as a CD-ROM, then
the problem is almost certainly that you don't have IDE-FLOPPY support
compiled into your kernel.
--
Hugh McCurdy

LS-120 mounting

Post by Richard Forste » Fri, 24 Jul 1998 04:00:00

> > I'm a newbie to Linux.  I have redhat 5.1 and i can't get my LS-120 drive to
> > mount.  It says something about the super block, and can't write to

> However, it sounds like you don't have IDE-FLOPPY support compiled into
> your kernel.

If he's a newbie he'll be using the default kernel. This does work with the IDE
ls-120 drives.

Try looking at permissions and look at what filesystem type the ls-120 is
expected to have. I have the following lines (in addition to many others) in my
/etc/fstab file.

/dev/hdc           /mnt/lin120        ext2         user,rw         0 0
/dev/hdc           /mnt/win120        vfat         user,rw         0 0

The only one you need to be concerned with is the second line unless you plan on
reformatting the ls-120 disk to a linux filesystem.

I've got 2 lines and 2 mount points because it was easier than working out how
to get the auto filesystem identification (usually just put 'auto' in the third
column) to work properly and support long filenames instead of the DOS 8.3

now I just type 'mount /mnt/win120' and it works.

Richard Forster

1. LS-120 Mounting

Can someone please tell me how to mount my LS-120?

I'm new to LINUX - installed it last night and I'm just trying to get
everything up and running.

Thanks.

ME!
****
David Kennedy

ICQ "Satch" 12504131 MOB. 041 148 3039

"Good health is merely the slowest possible rate at which one can die"
****

2. EVMS core 3/4: evms_ioctl.h

3. LS 120 mounting

4. REDHAT ERROR MESSAGES WHILE DIALING UP ISP

5. Making a boot disk with LS-120 (was Re: LS-120 clicking)

6. Solaris 8 reboot problem

7. 120 MB Floppy (LS-120) Linux?

8. Answerbook

9. ls-120 & sls-120 in Linux

10. How to setup / mount an LS-120 internal unit ?

11. mount LS-120 Superdisk?

12. mounting Superdisk LS-120

13. How do I mount my LS-120 (SuperDisk) Drive?