boot Linux from DVD-Ram

Post by Tobias Kine » Sun, 09 Jan 2005 04:16:37

Hi,

does somebody know if it is possible to boot Linux from a DVD-RAM and
whats needs to be done to do so ?

Have a nice weekend,
Tobias

boot Linux from DVD-Ram

Post by Henrik Carlqvis » Sun, 09 Jan 2005 04:44:49

> does somebody know if it is possible to boot Linux from a DVD-RAM and
> whats needs to be done to do so ?

I have no experience from this myself as I haven't had any DVD-RAM to play
with. But if I understand things right those DVD-RAM discs look more like
a HD than a CD-ROM.

To boot from any device you will need some kind of support of this in the
BIOS. If your DVD-RAM drive is connected to a SCSI controller that
controller will need a BIOS which supports booting from SCSI disks. If you
have this you should go into your CMOS setup and change your boot order so
that your computer tries to boot from the SCSI card before it tries to
boot from your HD.

On the DVD-RAM you could probably install any Linux distribution, however,
be careful to choose a kernel with built in support for your SCSI card.

regards Henrik
hc2(at)uthyres.com Examples of addresses which go to spammers:

1. DVD SCSI burner, I want DVD+RW, DVD-RW, DVD-RAM

I've googled until I'm blue (would that be bluegled?) and I can't
find a DVD burner that has all of what I want.  These seem to be
what people like for Linux:

Ricoh MP5125A DVD+RW/+R, DVD-R, CD-R/-RW (OBSOLETE)
http://www.computervideogear.com/dvd-burners/ricoh-mp5125a.htm

NEC ND1100A DVD+RW/+R, DVD-R, CD-R/-RW (replaces above Ricoh)
http://www.computervideogear.com/dvd-burners/nec-nd-1100a.htm

HP DVD300i (DVD+RW/+R, CD-R/-RW)
http://www.shopping.hp.com/cgi-bin/hpdirect/shopping/scripts/product_...
(watch the line wrap)

Pioneer DVR-A05 CD-R/RW, CD-RW, DVD-R/RW, DVD-ROM
http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?...

All of the above units are EIDE.  Is there a SCSI DVD burner that
works with Linux?  My reason for wanting this is the wonderful
burning throughput I get with my SCSI CD burner.  I *NEVER* have
buffer underruns no matter how much else my system is doing.
I can even backup to my SCSI tape at the same time without
problems.  I'm nervous that an IDE burner will force me into
buffer underrun land.

Thanks....

2. Network set-up headache!

3. Solaris, DVD-ROM, DVD-R, DVD-RAM and UDF

4. cure compiler warning in acct.h

5. Panasonic SW-9571 DVD-R/DVD-RW/DVD-RAM on Sun?

6. CD authoring

7. DVD-RAM or DVD-R on Linux?

8. ipchains & netmeeting

9. hitachi dvd camcorder and panasonic mini dvd-ram disk

10. Does FreeBSD support DVD-ROM, and/or DVD-RAM?

11. Howto burn DVD-RAM and DVD-R

12. DVD-RAM with linux

13. RedHat Linux and Toshiba DVD-Ram