Help!!

Post by Mach » Sat, 29 Nov 1997 04:00:00

Im new at Linux and was wondering if I can install linux on a jazz drive
and run from the Jazz ?

Thankx
Brock

Help!!

Post by A. van Luijpe » Sat, 29 Nov 1997 04:00:00

>Im new at Linux and was wondering if I can install linux on a jazz drive
>and run from the Jazz ?

Although my own SCSI adapter gives me some problems, it should very well be
possible.
Worst case scenario would require you to install /boot (5 Megs might be a
bit much) on your normal primary drive (in case your adapter - like
mine -doesnt support booting ) just for the kernel to be accessible, and
load the rest from Jaz. Of course, if your kernel is modular, make sure the
modules are also available. The rest should be easy.
Installation depends mainly on your adapter. Remember that the default
iomega partition on a jaz drive is /dev/sda4 (or sdb4 or sdc4 or ... etc
etc)
Although I'm not entirely certain, it should be possible to completely
install on the jaz, but that one failed on my system, because my card doesnt
allow the Jaz to boot while there are IDE's present

Greetz,
A. van Luijpen

P.S. Please note:
I am not completely certain about the validity of the text above, but it
should logically be like that.
Anyone please feel free to correct me if I'm wrong (and send me a CC:) ... I
am but a newbie